“Very cheap, beautiful place, excellent service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant

Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 146 Karon B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Very cheap, beautiful place, excellent service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Firstly, we were offered a FREE upgrade to a superior room as the standard room had been booked (thanks Greg). The room was big, clean and it is quiet every night even with pubs across the road! Room was cleaned every day around noon, bath towels and toiletries replaced daily too! For that cheap cheap price, we didn't expect any of the services mentioned above! We were allowed a slightly later check out time as our flight was really late on the date of departure. The staff were friendly and accommodating, and recommended places to eat and visit while on vacation.

I must add that we were present when the previous Trip Advisor reviewer was there as well (Maria i). She gave an unjustified rating and interested guests should ignore that review. We were aware of the huge commotion and I believe their request for 6 bottles of water a day was outrageous! 2 bottles a day were sufficient for my friend and I. So please ignore any bad review. Karon Sunshine Guesthouse is a LOVELY place! We were there for 4 days and we will definitely visit them again if we choose to stay in Karon! Thanks Greg and your excellent staff!

Andrea

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank AndieAndrea
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your comments, it is hard to believe you were staying here at the same time as the people that wrote the review before yours - what a contrast in experiences and expectations. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.
What many people forget, me included at times when dealing with Thai people is their sensitivity to not only what is being said but equally importantly how it is said. Face is a major part of the Thai makeup and to cause a Thai to lose face is bad form and in most cases unecessary. Pleasant demeanors and attitudes will always be reciprocated in the same manner in our place!
Again many thanks for your comments and taking time to write a review for us, it has re lifted our spirits after the temporary "kick in the guts" of the previous review.
Greg and the Sunshine Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Nicosia, Cyprus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

VERY RUDE.......the exact words were ''IF YOU WANT ONE MORE TOILET PAPER YOU SHOULD GO TO MORE EXPENSIVE HOTEL'', I have never met so much rudeness especially in a hotel and all because we asked ONE MORE TOILET PAPER. (!!). They were nice ONLY in the first day. VERY expensive cafe+ restaurant, no elevator, uncomfortable bed, recommended only for 1 night .some nights are quiet some nights are really noisy. The location is fine, 3 mins away from Karon beach but very far away from anything else in Phuket. The price is how much it should be. NOT RECOMMENDED

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank maria i
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hello,
You know there is an old saying in this game - “you can please most of the people most of the time but you cannot please all the people all the time”. In the 6+ years we have been opened and operating this is only the 2nd “terrible “category review we have received and I still dispute the first one. All in all 116 reviews (98%) that rate us from Ok to excellent would indicate that generally we are meeting our guest and customers needs if not in fact surpassing them. 118 reviews in total is only a small percentage of the total number of 1,000’s of people that have stayed with us in this time and I am 110% positive that if we’re not delivering what we promise, not facilitating our guests having a good time when they stay with us and being rude to all we would not have survived for so long. Are we perfect – absolutely not, do we try and do all we can to make sure all our guest are looked after – absolutely yes!
I like to deal in facts and there are a number of key points you have decided to leave out of your review comments that help paint a more complete picture.
- My staff asked you on several occasions to refrain from smoking in the room even though this is clearly marked on the door. A no smoking sign was placed in the room but smoking did not stop until I left a pointed message on your door.
- My staff could not get access to the room to clean until 4.00pm ish until the last few days of your stay and my understanding is that you still expected the room to be cleaned at this time. We do not have hard and fast rules on what time we stop cleaning as we will work with each guest to meet individual needs but 4.00pm is pushing the limit. I have checked other Guesthouses in our area and they finish cleaning rooms at 2.00pm. We will still supply all rooms’ needs like towels, toilet paper and water after 4.00pm but the room will not be cleaned.
- And now the additional toilet role saga. We supply 2 toilet rolls per day to each room (for 2 people). Our experience has shown that this is generally enough for our guests. If you require additional roles, except in an emergency we do not supply. We supply 2 free waters each day if you need more than this we do not supply. If necessary guests visit the local supermarket and top up on any additional needs. We supply 2 bath towels per day and most days 2 hand towels (yep we forgot one day to give you 2 – sorry for that) and if you need more we do not supply. Towels are replaced daily. I have also checked other local Guesthouses and this seems to be the norm around town.

The comment from my staff about “you should go to a more expensive hotels” was not about toilet papers per say but perceived or real differences in expectations between what we deliver for a baht 450 per night room compared to the bigger hotels in our area that charge anywhere between 4 and 6 times as much as us. Toilet paper was 1 of the issues; the points mentioned above were also catalysts for the comment by my staff.

A couple of your other comments need clarifying
- “VERY expensive cafe+ restaurant” – if you are referring to our establishment the restaurant is closed for the low season and has been for some weeks. How can our restaurant be very expensive if it is closed and what are you comparing us to? If you are comparing our prices to the local supermarket then you are more than welcome to drink your coffee at the supermarket. Same for eating. If you are comparing our prices to the cheap food stalls around Karon then it is not a fair comparison.
- “No elevator” – correct. No shop house/ Guesthouse in Thailand like ours (99% of Guesthouse are like ours) have elevators in fact some hotels of 4 or 5 stories that I have stayed in do not have elevators either. There is a hotel close to us that has elevators. Current room rate is baht 2534 per night not baht 450,
- “Uncomfortable bed” - all mattresses in all our rooms have been replaced in the last 3 months in fact the mattress in the room you stayed was replaced about 4 to 6 weeks ago. I do not know what you expect of us in this area.
- “Some nights are quiet some nights are really noisy” - was this inside or outside the Guesthouse, what sort of noise?
If my staff were rude to you without any provocation, misunderstanding or satisfying of different expectations than we will or can deliver then I would humbly apologies but frankly what we have been doing well for 6 years seems to work and the vast majority of our guests old and new seem to accept us and our level of service.
The one message I have delivered to my guys is that in future any problem, big or small, or a request that is outside our “norms” is directed to me immediately.
Sorry this is so long winded but for other people reading your comments I would like then to understand both sides of the argument and see the whole picture not just a biased segment.
We are not rude, arrogant owners and staff who do not listen to our guests needs and we will always go out of our way to meet all fair and reasonable requests.
Greg
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Nice and quiet guesthouse located about 5 minutes from Karon beach in Phuket, 1 minutes from the bus stop and sorrounded by lots of bars and restaurantsñ.

The people working there was extremely nice, great service, clean rooms and a familiar attitude that can make you feel like at home.

I'll definitely go back if I ever visit Phuket again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank architectBCN
, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your comments and taking time out to write a review for us - it is apreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to looking after you again next time you are in Karon.
As i have said many times our staff are genuine and they will do all they can within their resources to help you enjoy your time with us. Their English is not the best and sometimes they do not underderstand the questions that are being asked of them but will a little patience and perserverance things work out in the end. I am always contactable for emergencies which fortunately are few and far between.
You have summised our place in a nutshell - good location, convenient to beach,shops,restaurants, dentists, local stores, buses, tailors, opticians, pharmacies, tour operators and massage places, good service and great value.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Best wishes,
Greg and hte Sunshine Crew.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

a well located guest house, friendly clean and welcoming... a low season visit and at a good price.

Room Tip: had a rear 2nd floor, was quiet ....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank skinnyEngland
, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review - it is appreciated.
Low season is a good time to visit Phuket if the rain holds off ( it is wet season), prices are cheaper for rooms, there are less people about and generally the pace is much slower. Downsides are it can rain and i mean monsoonal downpours but usually over quickly, swimming is restricted to surf patrolled areas only ( this is a must) and if you are looking for action and not a quiet peaceful environment then Patong is a better location.
Hopefully we will see you again next time you are in Karon.
Best regards,
Greg and the Sunshine Crew
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was in Thailand 2 years ago and stayed at this guesthouse,The lasting impression I had was with the employees and the rooms. They always wore a genuine smile that made me feel comfortable in a foreign country and the rooms were decent and clean. Fast forward to 2012, I participated in the Phuket International Marathon. Without second thoughts I immediately contacted the guesthouse through their website to book my stay. Fortunately there were still available rooms and I immediately sealed the deal. When I arrived, I was greeted by the same employees a couple of years ago (which is a good sign). It felt surreal to be back. This guesthouse is very cost-efficient, it was in the middle of everything, a few hundred meters away from the beach, a lot of restaurants and bars nearby to choose from and the employees were very accommodating and they would go out of their way for a guest's request. Hoping to be back soon I won't even bother to look for another place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank carlitosdayzzz
Hi,
Thank you for staying with us again, it was our pleasure to have you join us once more.
Also thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review - it is much appreciated. Two of my staff have been with me for such a long time - Thai from the day we opened over 6 years ago and Ke about 4 or 5 of the last 6 years. Their loyalty, work ethic, honesty, friendliness and reliability are second to none and i count my blessings every day that i have these 2 folks working with me.
Glad you enjoyed your stay again and hopefully we will see you for the marathon again next year.
Best wishes,
Greg and the Sunshine Crew.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was the cheapest hotel we stayed in during our travels round Thailand. The building is lovely – a brightly coloured townhouse style guesthouse along a street of bars and restaurants. The staff were very friendly, and our room was clean and had everything we needed. The guesthouse is only 5 minutes to the beautiful beach and close to all that Karon has to offer. There is also a fab Indian restaurant next door which we went to one night.

We had a lovely quiet night the first night we stayed, but the second night there was some kind of karaoke going on next door which kept us awake, but apart from that – no complaints!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gazelle1
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review for us.
It is nice to hear you geneally enjoyed your stay with us - sorry you were disturbed by noise next door. Thai karoke is the usual form of entertainment for parties but the 1.00am curfew for music should still be followed even though we are in the quiet season. Do you know where the music was coming from? I have a feeling it was coming from a small bar about 4 shops along from us. I will check with staff and speak with the establishment if i can determine who is the culprit. At least i hope it was nice Thai music and not the sound of animal being strangled.
We enjoyed you staying with us and hope to see you back this way again when your next trip WILL be much quieter.
Greg and the Sunhine Crew
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The staff make this place. Before we arrived we recieved an email saying that we had been upgraded free of charge - simply because the room was free. We arrived and booked 2 further nights after seeing the room. The customer service and friendly smile are the main positives to note. Only a couple of minutes to the beach, and in a great area just off the main strip. The staff gave us discount on drinks, free welcome drink, and knew us very well by the time we left.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeremy L
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Hi,
Many thanks for your comments and especially for taking time to write a review for us. It is great to hear you had a good time and that the crew looked after you. I have said this before but i will say it again that my guys can stand up to many of the bigger and better (?) establishments around town when it comes to service, friendliness, genuine warmth, honesty and fun. Are we 100% perfect absolutely not but we do try and listen to our customers and we do try to improve where we can. Our goal is that every guest comes away with a good feeling about their experience with us. Thank you to my team for making your stay enjoyable.
We enjoyed having you stay with us and we would love to see you again next time you are back this way.
Greg and the Sunshine Gang