I'll keep this short but sweet. We chose Karon Beach area to avoid the sleaze of Patong since we had the kids and it was my 50th birthday. This was a good choice. On arrival we were met with the standard cold drink and face towel after flying in from Australia and transferring (using Tour East). We were a bit early for check in so had to kill some time. We were pretty fatigued but wandered down the hill & devoured a green curry with a beer (after all that airline food it was great).
Wandered back up the hill to find our bags had been already placed in our rooms. The rooms we booked were not available so they upgraded us for 2 nights (not Privileges Club) and chucked in four free dinners. In all honesty I don't think the Privileges Club is worth the extra dollars anyway. They are doing some renovations & upgrades, but that did not interfere with our holiday at all.
Pool was great. Breakfast was all you could eat of standard Western food which is great when you have picky kids (but after 7 days you are just looking for cereal). Most of the milk products are UHT due to the heat, so if you don't like UHT have something else as there is plenty to choose from. Ake is a great waiter and nothing is too much trouble. Dinner was much the same story with buffet selections and theme nights.
Free tuk tuk to the bottom of the hill where there is a taxi stand and it is across from the beach. Plenty of shops whether you walk south toward Kata or north where there are some nice roadside restaurants. Haggling was great fun. Free transport from the Resort to its sister resort in Patong daily, so you can shop, etc.
We booked some tours with Tour East. Very expensive when compared with the lady at Sea Smile agency at the bottom of the hill. She was great for discounted tours and also did laundry (ironed) for 80baht per kilo, with internet for the teenagers.
You can hire a 'cab' which is really a mini-bus at the taxi rank that can take you where ever you want, whenever you wish. Tommy took us in to Phuket Town to the two big shopping complexes and then to the night markets. Nice guy and good value.
Plenty of massage shops at the bottom of the hill, but the Health Spa at the Resort although more expensive, is very classy and left my wife and I floating after our 2 hour treatment.
The staff in general are great. Friendly and helpful. Learn a few key phrases for hello & thank you and you will never go astray. Thai staff are generally poorly paid, so a little tip that equates to a few bucks to us - means a lot to them and their families. Your generousity is repaid ten fold by great service.
I've seen a few criticisms of the Reception area. Sure language is a bit of a problem, but have a little patience. They try real hard and the odd korp koon krup makes things a lot easier. They don't have 'cakes' in Thailand but somehow, my wife managed to organise one - so anything is possible. Enjoy your holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Do you want to enjoy a luxurious, fabulous yet affordable vacation in Phuket by the beach? Indulge yourself in this beautiful, upscale resort with spa facilities at affordable prices. The resort is surrounded by nature and is spread over 16,000 sqm. of land and is like your own private paradise. Shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance, and its more relaxed and quiet setting is the preferred choice of families and couples. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horizon Karon Beach Hotel Karon
- Horizon Karon Beach Resort And Spa
- Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa Phuket