“Great location - Recommended”

Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 134 Hotels in Karon
“Great location - Recommended”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We traveled here late November 2013 and stayed 11 nights as a family of 4.

We couldn't fault the location as it was right near everything you need but sat back so you have the peace and quiet. Its a small hotel but has everything you could possibly need. The rooms are kept clean and very spacious. Hotel offers a free bus to Patong and a tuk tuk up and down the hill to the beach. Breakfast had plenty to choose from.

If we had to find fault I would suggest that they should have been more sunbeds around the pool.

The beach (a stone throw away) is lovely and so are all the restaurants close by. I would recommend an overnight visit to the rain forest, eat out and most of all smile.

So typical to Thailand we found the staff always friendly and smiling You cant go wrong booking here. We would again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank atayo2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The rooms were very comfortable with all the amenities that you look for. The front desk and the travel desk were very helpful in getting the things that you need and helped plan.

The breakfast was good but the food highlight was the indian restaraunt baluchi which was a relief since my wife and I are strict vegetarians. The manager of the restaraunt(Karan if I remember right) was very helpful and got the food made the way we wanted.

The property is very well maintained and luxurious.

Room Tip: Pool facing room on the first floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ganesh H
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We just spent 6 wonderful nights at the Karon Horizon. Our family (2 adults, 13 yo, 10 yo) were looked after with excellent service, facilities, food and drinks. We cannot speak highly enough about the professionalism and friendliness of the staff (special mention to Sert and the team led by Vapin in the restaurant and Emmy's team at the front desk).

This service came to the fore after I had an accident (not on hotel premises) and was put on crutches. The concierge and porters were fantastic with helping with bags, wheelchairs and getting to / from our room

Our room was on level 1 and overlooked the main pool and pool bar. We did not have to worry about too much noise as all families were as keen for quiet relaxation as we were. We booked the Family Fun Package and highly recommend taking up the included elephant safari / trek.

The food was fantastic and the staff were flexible if we wanted to change options around.

In short...our kids have declared this 'the best holiday ever'...that is a good enough recommendation for us. We shall return...Thank you Horizon Karon Beach,

Room Tip: We found level 1 perfect for us and particular after my accident.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Will424
Washington
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed from Nov. 19-27, 2013 and we stayed in the Adults only area with a swim up room. It was fantastic and we really enjoyed ourselves. The size of the room was adequate and the bathroom was a surprise. The buffet breakfast was exactly what is needed. I used the spa and gym and they were great! The equipment in the gym and the size was great. The spa was very economical for a couples treatment($285 U.S.) The on property bar scene is not good. We rarely saw anyone at the only open bar at night. The other bar on the roof was not open at all which is a waste of a good location. The Tuk Tuk service was good but,it stops at 8 or 9 and you have to be told to call from the bottom to get a ride to the top of the hill where the resort is located. The happy hour which runs from 1-3 is ok, you just have to order doubles if you like to drink and the food is fine. The only issues I found were that the doors to the adult area were not locked on the main floor all the time meaning that anyone could come in and use the pool or other things that I paid extra to use. Also the resort built the maintenance shed right next to the pool where people paid the most in the adult only area. This is a problem because all day they are using equipment to do things and you can hear it and I mean all day. It was very loud and disturbing and I was clueless as to why this needed to be next to the pool where I paid more to have privacy and no children around. The sound of the children would have been a delight compared to the saws i heard all day as I tried to relax next to the pool.

Also do not exchange your money there. Walk down to the main road and you will get better rates. Overall great hotel, would probably not go back because of the maintenance building issue.

Room Tip: If you get a swim up room, I don't think there are any public elevators so your going to have to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Will F
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just got back last night. Stayed at the suite overlooking the pool. Has 2 balcony area. Nice view. But when you opened the front door, it overlooked some dense forest. Quite creepy at night though.The room looked a little tired but very clean.There's a stove and microwave oven in the room.Didn't use them though.There's separate shower area, a bathtub and the toilet room. No bathroom slippers. Drainage in shower room very slow so there would be a little flood if you shower too long. Bed was really hard for me. couldn't sleep well first night but slept better the 2nd night onwards. Probably because of all the climbing we had to do. The room we stayed in was on the 4th floor ... No lifts. We had to climb up and down , not for the elderly and weak knees definitely. But no complains from us as its really good exercise. Plus, this hotel is situated on a hill. We LOVED it!! Probably very safe if there's Tsunami.Good exercise after eating all those seafood and thai food at the many restaurants that dots down the road (lots of choices, mexican, italian..American....) and there's this guy selling banana pancake at the bottom of the hill.. Gotta try that. You can enjoy it while climbing up the hill haha!! FYI the hotel does have a tuk tuk service going up and down the hill. Good location and a nice shopping area. Don't worry if you forgot anything. There's a few convenience store and shops within easy reach. It's not too crowded and busy like Patong. Recommended area to book if you are traveling with children. We were treated very well at the hotel. Everyone had smiles and greetings for us wherever we went. Always! From housekeeping to the gardeners, front desks, concierge, restaurants. Food at the hotel were not so good though.Better to eat at the many restaurants down the hill. You have more options if you turned to your right. While there were a variety of food served during buffet breakfast, we found food very average. But we don't mind that much as service was always great. Enjoyed the spa service at the hotel. You probably could get cheaper massages outside but it's a lot cleaner here. My husband had a foot massage at one of the massage place at the bottom of the hill ( there are lots of them), he came back with his feet soaked in oil. My 9yr old enjoyed the pool. Beach is down the hill, and about 2mins from there. You need to pay 200 baht for a spot. It never rained during our stay so that's a bonus! We will stay here again if we ever visit Phuket again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DemonicMom
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed 5 nights from 27 Nov- 2 Dec with pregnant wife and 2.5 years old kid and would say resort is just fantastic with all the facilities you can think of. It's very close to Karon beach and resort provides regular "tuk-tuk" service from 8 AM- 9 PM. Buffet breakfast is yummy as well with lots of option.Highly recommended for anyone including family with young kids..

Just I won't recommend anyone to book local tour from the resort lady.. It's overpriced and she stick with the price mostly. Also, I find hotel-airport transfer they charge more compared to outside.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are great :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rishi S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Not the 4 star hotel as shown on the label. But it's a nice relaxing hotel so certain things don't bother you and certain things do.

Positives:

10/10 bell boy/concierge staff were extremely helpful, more than reception staff at times. Well they spoke better English than the front desk staff which was odd. Pan & chai you guys are great.

They do try very hard to get things done for you which I appreciated.

Great Indian restaurant and both the morning and evening chefs were great. Good food and as a veg it hit the spot and the food was cooked how I wanted it !

Free shuttle bus to the sister hotel in patong is a great help and will save you £8 each way !

Very close to the beach and relaxing it was !

Tuk Tuk service was helpful after shopping, pan or chai the drivers would take us direct to our room. Great guys ! Miss them.

Negatives:

Little annoyed as when I booked via expedia and checking online it shows the hotel as a 4 star rating that's far from the truth it's a great 3 star. It does not offer the facilities or services that a 4 star would. So please let this be clear !

Worst room service food ever and a total rip off to go with it.

Very very bad shower facility water comes through and makes the whole room wet. Not great !

House keeping is done to a very minimal nothing is replenished unless you ask for it.

Very bad wifi in the room especially annoying when you pay daily high rates to use it. Now if this was a 4 star hotel the wifi would have been free ! Point taken "right"?

We spend 3 weeks there not once was we asked if we are enjoying our stay etc.

Reception staff don't speak much English "great" ! Always ask to talk with a manager !

Not a wheel chair friendly hotel steps and stairs everywhere. And no lifts.

Repetitive breakfast daily "boring"

Food and drinks at the poolside at high prices.

Not many sun beds for guests !

I stayed 3 weeks and in our room I accidentally broke a glass which I was charged for. I mean come on I stayed 3 weeks spend hundreds on food & drinks used the spa plus tips to staff daily etc and a bill for a broken glass. Joke !

Nothing is free in this hotel everything comes at a charge. I would not pay the price that I paid for this hotel again in the future.

When booking my 3 week stay expedia put in a request to the hotel. Honeymoon couple possible up grade with a late check out. Neither were granted. And paid more for a few hour extension on the room. No give way. And that was dealing with Emmy the manageress.

My pros and con write up comes from our personal experience. We are world travellers so we believe in speaking from the heart.
My negative list out weights the positive, but do rest assured we did have a pleasant stay and we left relaxed, great location close to all you could need. We hope you guys find our experience helpful.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple