“Good hotel that guards it like a prison.”

Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Enjoyed staying here.

Highlights:

Nice Pool (not sure what everyone is whinging about). There are some walls of the pool which are slimey but that is due to the material used on the wall, not because of uncleanliness.

Clean rooms (mid size)

Buffet food in morning and evening was nice (particularly like Indian night and wishing I tried the "award winning" Indian restaurant now.

Lovely grounds. Get up early enough and you will see some weasel like creatures climbing the trees.

Reception staff were friendly enough

Pool bar was nice and it was great to see the staff were actually good at making cocktails

Guards make you feel safe (most of the time)

Good location on the fringe of Karon and Kata

Great bar around corner called Baan Siam which has a fantastic rock band. "The Mosquitos" fronted by the current Journey singers brother "Jolly Boy" Bineda

Beds were very comfortable, firm but nice.

Negatives:

Guards guard the place like a prison. If you arrive late, a guard will follow you all the way from front gate to your room. The last night the guard followed us right to our door.

You are not allowed to have guests stay or visit, hence the close security guard attention.

The place is filled with families and this means the pool is quite busy with families.

The hill is doable but I will admit it is a pain in the [--] even with moderate fitness level. I don't envy the elderly that stay here.

Shower positioning is odd. It's difficult to get to the tap because of the way the building is designed. Also water seeps around the bath top as it's shower over bath design.

Pool closes at 8pm which is standard, but it would be nice for once to see a hotel allow it to stay open till 10pm.

Great overall stay with a friend with some minor let downs. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank keef23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked a few nights here as a getaway from our busy travels throughout Thailand! We were upgraded upon arrival to a club room which I was absolutely stunning with a huge balcony! We had opted for dinner to be included so we had buffet tickets which was good but could use a bit more selection! The grounds were well kept and peaceful especially the pool for club rooms only as no kids were there but definitely a kid friendly resort everywhere else. A small walk down to Karon beach but well worth if, beautiful beach and lovely shops and restaurants along the road.

Our only complaint would be the hidden fees such as wifi, paying extra for a drink at the pool bar because someone had to go pick it up or service fees for having our drinks brought to our table during the buffet dinner and even for a glass of ice.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Emily P
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights at this wonderful resort. We were in the privelige wing which I thoughly recommend. The staff were very helpful in accomodating our needs. Will definately stay again in this resort. The spa was very relaxing a bit more expensive than local places but the cleanliness definately out weighed our decision

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TowellyE
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We just had 3 night stay Horizon karon with our three children .
Nice , clean , staff are all friendly , great deal and food are good for all of us ! We just loved to stay there !! We came to phi phi island now but after here we will go back to horizon !hotel again ! Karon beach is nice beach than patong for sure !This hotel has free shuttle bus to patong which helped us go shopping . Highly recommend !!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Kumi P
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just back from this hotel and have to say there are good and also lots of bad. Not enough to ruin our holiday but lots of little things that should and could be better. Good :beautiful setting, very lush and pretty. Good food. Rooms clean and well equipped. Most of the staff lovely.
Bad: Place needs a good painting, looks tatty. Rooms need mosquito nets on beds. Asked for spray, came and did it once, had to ask every night-should be standard. Shower over bath is ridiculous, wets whole area. Have to take pool towels to room each day, where they change them for you. However, if you're out when they come mid afternoon/late morning at the pool with the towels, they can't change them. So you're left with wet towels again the day after. Should just be at poolside. The kids club was just for babies really. Last time we were away they came out to the poolside to host competitions for the kids. Good for older ones that are usually too cool to mix to help them make friends. Consequently, not many older kids about and if there were they didn't play much, just stuck to family. The tuk tuk phone at the bottom of the hill was ripped off and the hotel's attitude wasn't very good. They just said you'd have to walk, which wasn't good. Now, the hill is steep but do-able. However, that's not taking into account the heat and humidity which makes walking to the pool bar an effort. I appreciate it wasn't their fault the mafia took the phone but they should have come up with an alternative such as running the tuk tuk up and down randomly. Their attitude was "tough". I figured most people stayed outside the hotel mostly as it was fully booked and still quiet, which is nice, but shows the prices are quite expensive. It is not in what I'd class as "Karon" either. It is neither in Karon or Kata and sits in between the main areas. A taxi to each is 200 bhat (about $7) each way. Also a strong drain smell by the pool every day. All in all I'd say it was ok for the money ($1500) for 8 nights for 2 adults & 2 children. However, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FishyFoo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

For my daugther wedding we had guests staying all over Karon. Many stayed at The Horizon and loved it. I was invited by a friend to have a treatment at the Spa it was heaven. It cost my friend more than a street massage but the quality was amazing. Firstly my feet were put in warm water and massaged I feel asleep, then layed down and massaged by two girls I feel asleep again, shower then body scrub, shower, then anther massage. I swear it was so peaceful and relaxing after my daugthers wedding. Please do yourself a favor and go to this Spa. It may cost a few more dollars but well worth it!

Room Tip: Go to the Spa'
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Romany888
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Brought the entire family here for a bit of R&R but ended up getting frustrated from the service and attitude from the staff. We are a party of 6, comprised of 4 adults and 2 children 6&8. The check in process was quick and swift they had all our information prepared beforehand all I needed to do was present all our passports and a credit card for incidentals. The service was lackluster, no smile, no greetings and no thank you. Just complete the authorization paperwork for charging to your room account and brought directly to room. That was fine as I did not expect 5 star service, but having been to Thailand many times did not feel the thai hospitality and friendliness at this hotel. When luggages showed up at the room and a tip was given there was no thank you or any gesture. The guy simply took the thai bhat and left. That was ok too, as I don't really care for their attitude as I am on vacation and won't be bothered by some knuckle head. Following morning I requested a tuk tuk ride down to the beach as my wife's parents who are 60 and 70 accompanied us, the bell boy at concierge was rude and down right an [--]. He didn't even acknowledge my presence and when answering me he was looking away at something else. Turned out that he was the same guy who was driving us down. This fellow definitely dosent seem like he wants to be here.

I agree with other reviewers here about the cleaniness of the pool and it definitely needs a deep deep cleaning. There are green slime along the walls of both pools. There is no poolside servIce If your on the upper pool, not once did anyone come up to ask us for food or drinks. The staff all spoke very limited English and was difficult to communicate with. I had to speak with 3 different personnel regarding the same question. There seems to be a daily manager on staff and I saw her everyday during breakfast and sometimes at dinner. She has very short hair and constantly walking around chatting with other guests but never bothered to speak with my family. BTW we were the only Chinese family staying here and I felt they didn't think it was necessary to keep a good relationship with us. The staff members during the dinner shift is another story all in it's own. Never a smile and these folks definitely does not seem like they want to be here serving a bunch of Chinese. Aside from asking if we needed drinks not once did they take away our empty dishes unless I called for them. Funny, the tables occupied by Europeans or Russians never had that problem. I guess Chinese travelers are classified as third rate citizens at this hotel.

It was by my very bad choice to have picked Horizon as again I was reading some very nice reviews of this place and decided to book here. All the other times my family came to Thailand we either stayed at Centara brand resorts or International branded hotels such as the Hilton, Intercontinental or Starwood hotels. One can definitely see and sense the difference on the level of training and the friendless of the staff at branded hotels. It was a very bad move on my part to have picked a local branded hotel. BTW I am still here for 2 more days since I had to prepaid up front for 2 rooms, if it wasn't for that, would have moved my family to Hilton Karon the very next day. As I am fluent in both English and Chinese I will be writing a review for all Chinese travelers to stay away from this place. Too bad Horizon if only your staff had treated everyone the same and left their bigotry manners at home.

What other reviewers cited about the rooms and pool were right on. One positive note we did find housekeeping staff very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013