Had a very pleasant 4-night stay at this hotel -- until check-out. That was when the cashier said to me that she had been advised by the maid staff that there was an umbrella missing from my room. I thought this was an odd comment given that the only umbrellas in my room were the two we had brought ourselves.
I immediately argued, saying there never was an umbrella in the room. To which the cashier replied: The supervisor inspects each room before a party checks in to ensure everything is there. To which I replied, in an increasingly loud tone: There was no umbrella in the room when we checked in, and we brought our own anyway!!!
The cashier finally said, "OK," and that was that.
So basically, I would say that since I am not the only one who has had these problems at check-out (read some of the other reviews), this hotel is not very smart. When you have a problem at check-out, that becomes your lasting memory of the hotel. So we left angry.
Of course, this is typical of how many Thais do business: When the economy is in shambles and street protests and riots scare away tourists, the natural reaction is to try to extract more money out of those who do visit. I would think the cashier was not thrilled that not only had I gotten a great deal with an online booking service, but I did not spend a single baht at the hotel on the overpriced food or beverages. So why not try to get some cash by accusing me of stealing or losing an umbrella?
But all was not bad...
I think the most important thing to understand about this hotel is that it is not 5-star, and maybe not even a clear 4-star. Some parts are 3 star, others 4 star.
Another thing is, I think the level to which you enjoy the hotel depends a great deal on how much you paid. Like I said, I got a terrific low-season bargain on the Internet. So I was generally pleased. But if I had paid a high-season rate, I would have been very disappointed.
ROOMS: Stayed in a Lagoon deluxe. Good size room, good size bathroom, very clean, good lighting, spacious balcony overlooking the pool . My only complaint would be the furnishings were very old and worn. So again, if I had paid top dollar in high season, I would have been disappointed.
POOLS: No reason at all to complain one bit about the three lovely pools. The Lagoon pool was ideal for kids and seemed to be the most popular pool overall. But our favorite by far was the Tropicale pool. This was the largest pool and had the fewest people. Really lovely. And just a one-minute walk from the Lagoon area. Did not hang out at the Terrace pool but had a peek. Seemed OK, but not nearly as nice as the Tropicale.
BREAKFAST: Very mixed bag here. It's a large buffet in a large and nice restaurant. The food itself was very good, with a nice selection of the usual fare, both Thai and Western. Good selection of breads and pastries. Would have been nice to see a bit more focus on the fresh fruit. The pineapple was not very good, which is hard to believe considering you are on Phuket.
A major complaint was that the restaurant was VERY hot -- especially if you sit in the main part in the middle, away from the sides. So be prepared to sweat while eating. They had some ceiling fans on very low speed which did practically nothing. And no air conditioning as the room is open on the sides.
Much has been written about the wait to get a table at breakfast, and it is all true. I was there in low season, and had to wait three of the four mornings. I can only imagine what goes on during high season. I would imagine some people wait for a pretty long time. What was most disturbing, though, was that there really was no reason to wait. There were plenty of empty tables, but they were not being turned around fast enough. It was very obvious. Also, they have one hostess who has to 1) check the party in (what is your room number? how many people?), 2) scout out the open tables, and 3) bring the party to the table. There should be more than one person doing this.
STAFF: Overall, very nice, though not extraordinary. The room cleaning staff were very good. Our room was cleaned while we ate breakfast.
LOCATION: Pretty decent. Plenty of restaurants and convenience stores just outside the hotel. Five minutes from the beach. But the beach is nothing special, so we spent all our time at the pools, which was more than fine.
So, overall, we were satisfied but had to deduct some points for the way we were accused of stealing/losing an imaginary umbrella.
I'd recommend for couples as well as families -- but only if you get a good deal on the Internet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Karon Town, with an abundance of eateries and entertainment options at its doorstep and Karon Beach a short stroll away, the resort is perfectly located to experience the many facets of Phuket. As a destination in its own right, Centara Karon Resort Phuket fulfils every holiday aspiration, from pure bliss at Spa Cenvaree to active holidays and family fun with activities galore, yoga sessions, three swimming pools, waterslides and a kids’ club. This four-star resort, laid out within beautiful gardens backed by green hills, is comprised of four very distinctive residential zones. Couples and small families will find the rooms and Honeymoon Suites at the Terraces a comfortable retreat, and enjoy the option of ocean view or a private outdoor Jacuzzi; while families and groups of friends are spoilt for choice with spacious guestrooms set moments away from the waterslide and games of the Lagoon pool. The generously-sized one- and two-bedroom Cabanas feature a private terrace with a plunge Jacuzzi. As a fun place for families, the resort has a kids’ club with daily activities and three expansive swimming pool areas complete with three children’s pools for the younger ones to splash in, two waterslides and pool games. Pool parties are held regularly, and other activities include tennis and football. The resort also has two restaurants, a sports bar, and three swim-up pool bars A scheduled shuttle service takes guests from the resort to Patong, and Phuket International Airport is reached in less than one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Orbitz, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Travelocity so you can book your Centara Karon Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Karon Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Karon Hotel Phuket
- Centara Hotel Karon