“Very happy - would stay again.”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #17 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Very happy - would stay again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I recently stayed at Centara Karon with my 2 children aged 16 and 14 and my sister in law. We had 8 nights in this resort. We were very happy with the location of the resort as it was very handy to shops, restaurants, markets and the beach, and only a 10 minute taxi ride to Patong.
The only negatives I have regarding the resort and they are not major was 1. the internet went down for a day and a half during our stay, 2. we struggled to get clean pool towels and 3. the beds were rather uncomfortable for me as I had had a recent back injury. Apart from that we were happy with the restaurants, the pools and bars and it suited our needs adequately. Although it could do with a bit of a spruce up in some areas, we would happily stay again. And the staff were lovely and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brigitte P
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Brigitte P,
Thanks for providing a review from your recent stay. Great to read how much you liked our resorts location, also happy with restaurants, bars, pools, staff were lovely and friendly and would happily stay again. I note the improvements you mention and will take on board and address.
regards
Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yeppoon, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have just come back from staying 7 nights with 3 teenagers at Centara Karon and had a great time.Rooms were good size and beds tho a little firm were fine.Breakfast was great everyday and we enjoyed a couple of nights dining at restaurant good value.Found all staff to be very polite and helpful.We ate at Two Chefs a couple of nights and also The Red Onion was amazing.Also visit Kenny's Aussie Bar for great company and service.The only downside I found was the laundry service offered by resort-very expensive and took 11/2 days to get clothes back ,,this was after 3 enquiries,however this was a minor hiccup.Also the lack of pool towels was a problem this stopped my teens using pool on some days.All in all a great place to stay and we will definitely be back

Sawasdee Vicki M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide Trip Advisor readers a review. Im delighted you found so many positives especially rooms were a good size, breakfast was great daily, and dinner was good value. Thanks for your improvement comments, we will take on board and rectify.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just back from 15 nights in Phuket and stayed at the centara for the 3rd time. We had a great time again. Our children love the Centara because of its friendly staff. We love it because we it's a comfortable hotel with great gardens, beaches close by, delicious breakfast soirée( although the lady that normally made the banana roti was not making it this year so it wasn't as nice as other years) andaman coffee house etc. We experienced quite a bit of rain this year - four days straight but we still swam, ate, walked to Temple market, had massages etc etc. This year we stayed in the tropical rooms and received the privileges- unlimited coffee, fruit, freshly baked cookies and juices. In the afternoon there were sandwiches, scones and cakes. Later on there was platters of olives, fish bites and any drink you wanted- beer, wine, spirits etc. This was an excellent idea and we visited a few times during our stay. The staff( pool, house keeping, buggy drivers) were really friendly and very welcoming- we have stayed at other resorts in Phuket and have found the staff at the centara the most friendliest. Every year we ask our daughters if we should stay somewhere else for just part of the time ( last year we stayed at the Katathani for part of the holiday) but they love the Centara. This year hotel had organised pool parties and special equipment for the children such as jumping castles, games, music, slushies, and great food such as hamburgers, hot dogs, fries for 50bht. Highly recommended on Thursdays and Mondays. The only real issue I have with this hotel is the pool towels- they are old, with holes and quite disgusting. We used sarongs to line on.... Overall we love this hotel - it is close to the Red onion, Karon beach, Kata Beach, eightfold restaurant in Kata, the temple market which is held every Tuesday and Saturday etc. Although it did rain more than usual this year, there are still lots of things to do- getting foot massages , facials in junceylong, eating at Pum restaurant in Patong, and visiting that OTOP markets. We found a great lady called Sal who drove a taxi and used her whenever we needed to get anywhere- she didn't over charges us, drove a new safe car ( not like the run down tuk tuks), and she took great care of us. In conclusion, we will be staying at the centara again and still highly recommend it

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Tropicale area on the ground floor- easy access for children and close to every...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank angiegala24
Management77, On behalf of General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Sawasdee Angiegala24,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a review on your stay with us at Centara Karon Resort. It was a pleasure to read you and your family enjoyed your stay and have provided readers some quality information in determining their next holiday location.

Kind regards,
Wisa Bousang
Executive Secretary to GM
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We travelled as a group of 7 friends for my birthday and stayed 9 nights. It was a holiday without husbands and kids so it was very important that we got the right place to stay. I had stayed here before and recommended it to my friends. I feel overall that the hotel met the brief of a relaxing easy holiday although it struggled at times to keep 7 not so fussy women happy. Most importantly it met the brief for our budget and allowed for some of our group to have their own rooms which was a luxury in itself. 5 of us paid extra to have pool cabana's but I honestly felt that the lagoon rooms provided just as good an experience and were great value. Our pool cabana was different to the majority of photos and the pool was at the back of the cabana. This layout meant that you had to access the pool through the bathroom. Because of this design we just didn't use it much as well as the constant jack hammering from the near by pool renovation not being conducive to relaxation. No one from the hotel apologised for the noise and we were not offered a room exchange or kept informed about when the work would take place. We understand that renovations are vital but it would have been nice to know when there was some respite (if any) to be expected. Our cabana was in a row closest to the pool being renovated (1002) so for those of you going now check your room number is not in this vicinity. 1007 had a better layout but still suffered the noise issue.
Having stayed at the hotel before I noticed the effort put in to the increase in facilities and activities including the addition of the pool slides which my kids would have loved. This all seemed to come at the expense of good service which was outstanding on my last visit and non existent on this one. Being the low season I am unsure whether the hotel runs on lower staff numbers or whether our experience is now typical, I sincerely hope not.
The constant issue was a lack of pool towels for those of us who did not hit the pool in the morning. By the afternoon you had no chance of getting one and the surly and unhelpful male staff at the tropicale pool would send you on a wild goose chase between reception and the other pool on the promise of a non existent towel. Really they should have been offering to fetch one for you. When one of our group dared to use a towel from the room she was told she could not. Slightly farcical considering the only option was to drip through the lagoon corridors!

Some minor issues included the lack of consistency between cocktails from day to day and the wifi which had more tantrums than a two year old. Apparently staff don't like making the creamsicle shake cocktail! We could tell by the way they grimaced each time we ordered and as a result it was a surprise every day as to what was in it!

We enjoyed the lounge with afternoon tea and pre-dinner drinks. We met some lovely people here and it seemed to us that the hotel guests were almost entirely Australians.

Breakfast was fine and as mentioned in previous reviews the banana roti were divine and a highlight for our group.

The spa was ok but I enjoyed the treatments at Apple Massage outside the hotel so much more and for significantly less baht. Please do yourself a favour and stop at Apple massage you won't be sorry.

The location was still the highlight of this place. We loved the restaurants in the little soi out the front including two chefs, papaya and Karon seafood. We loved the little shopping stall selling jewellery that set up at night near Two Chefs run by a lovely lady known as "b". We significantly boosted her sales for the month as well as that of Apple Massage!

Overall it was not as good a stay as last time in terms of service but if you are looking for a good family resort which is unpretentious and does not masquerade as a five star hotel and does not charge those prices, then this is a good choice.....just byo pool towel!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank happyforeverafter
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear happyforeverafter,
Thank you for selecting Centara Karon Resort as your destination for your group of friends.
Im delighted to read you felt the lagoon deluxe rooms provided great value. I pleased you enjoyed the Premium Lounge for afternoon tea and pre dinner drinks. I am sorry to read there were a few issues that frustrated you during your stay but we will work towards to addressing these for future travellers.
Perth WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had 10 nights at Centara Karon with our 3 girls (5,7,9) in 2 interconnecting rooms in the Tropical Wing. Interconnecting rooms being the way to go with a bigger family as 2 bathrooms is a blessing. But we were the lucky ones. Travelled with 2 other families who had to wait 5 days until they could get interconnecting rooms. We had a great stay and there was lots to love about the hotel. The service was great, the food was lovely, the kids loved the slides and the kids club. The location was good also. Not on the main strip but not too far away. Short taxi to Patong and activities on the otherside of the island. But...

The hotel is feeling a little rough around the edges and in need of some TLC. From the start, the original entrance has been let go and they now use a side entrance so it gives it a bit of a run down feel as you drive in. My kids cut there feet on the broken tiles in the lagoon pool. The grounds, whilst lush, needed a bit more regular care. The cabanas by the pool were worn out. And the bathrooms, in the room and the resort, (always an indicator of quality) had chipped tiles and the dirt was starting to build up in the grout. And this is just a sample of some of the little things.

But before you get on my case about being picky. Your right. These are just small things, but they add to a general feel that the hotel is past its prime. And whilst I would go there again I would be wondering if there wasn't something better I could get for my money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenniv
Dear jenniv,
Thanks for staying at Centara Karon Resort. I was pleased to read your comments that you had "a great stay and lots to love about the hotel". Pleasing to note you found the service was "great, food lovely and your kids loved the pools and slides". I note the issues raised for improvement and we will continue to work on improving our product year round.
regards
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have nothing good to say about this resort.
From check in to leaving was a complete nightmare.
At check in we were made made to waiting 1 1/2 hours even though we had book 7 months ago. The service at reception was unfriendly and rude not once did they smile.
I booked a deluxe premium package which included cocktails nightly, as I don't drink beer or wine, I was informed on your second night that this was no longer available and pre dinner drinks was the options by a very rude pregnant lady who didn't want to be there. I than went to reception to questions this as not advised when checking in. Once again was spoken rudely too by receptionist so asked to speak to manager.
Manager said as once off for good will I may order the cocktails from room service, who wants to sit in an old tied room to drink a cocktail.
If you plan to catch up on some sleep think again the beds are like rocks daily massages were a waste.
We had 2 power outs up to 1 1/2 hours,broken air on another night during our 11 nights stay asked for the clock to be reset by housekeeping twice not done,asked reception how to do myself they didn't know.
The only staff which my husband and I found help full was maintenance.
Towels are another issue 2 day no towels available at pool not good enough.
The bath room towels couldn't get any more grey gross.
Staff at breakfast were rude don't dare ask for a cup of coffee!
On day of check out I called reception 1/2hr before wanting bags to be picked up to arrange porter, did not come called again did not come had to go hale a golf cart down in extremely heavy rain.
This hotel is unorganised, ill trained staff who are rude and unprofessional, I have stay in hotel and resort throughout Asia from 2 star to 5 star this hotel is definitely not 4 even our hotel transport said it was a low 3 star.

Room Tip: Do not stay at Centara Karon
4 Thank Raelene P
Dear Raelene P,
I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. Allow me to provide comment for your issues raised;
Unable to check in for 1 1/2 hours - early check-in is subject to availability.
No cocktails served at Premium Lounge - Correct we offer beer, wine, spirits and soft beverages. Im pleased the Manager offered to provide you complimentary cocktails, delivered through Room Service, I am disappointed this did not impress you.
Two power outages - Unfortunately this does happen from time to time in Thailand however it is usually day time and only for short periods.
Slow baggage pick up - As you mention it was heavy rain at the time, and our staff were driving all guests to and from their rooms, I apologise for the delay.
Bed was hard - housekeeping can put a mattress cushion over your bed for a softer feel.
Staff at breakfast, staff at reception, staff in Premium lounge were all rude to you - I am sorry you found this, our staff are usually very friendly and accomodating.
Again I am sorry you didnt enjoy your stay and we certainly will follow through with the points raised.
Regards
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had 2 interconnecting rooms in the tropical wing,which had access to the premium lounge - very good value for money. We had our 2 girls with us (13 & 8), they enjoyed the lagoon pool with the slides. The resort is nicely spread out, and kept very clean. I had a facial at the spa, which was beautiful. Food here is fantastic, we chose to take the baht bonanza & ate here at least 5 nights out of the 8 we were there. The location was great, beach was close, shops were closer & only 10 mins via tuk tuk to Patong. The staff were all lovely - but all Thai people seemed to be lovely!!!

1 Thank Toni O
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Sawasdee Toni O,
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review from your recent stay. Im delighted you enjoyed your time especially your girls loiving the water slides,the staff were lovely, great location and found great value in baht bonanza offer at check in.