“Centara Great Hotel wonderful staff one TIP!”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #17 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Sydney, Australia
“Centara Great Hotel wonderful staff one TIP!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We travelled as a group to Puket for my daugthers wedding. My room was in the tower the views were amazing and my boys (14 twins) had an interconecting room. The room service was fantastic, we arrived late and everyone was tired and hungry, we were offered a welcomming drink and went upstairs to order room service, beautiful food.
My daugther and her family stayed in a cabana but moved the next morning due to mosquito bites on my grandson's legs. The managment were gracious and gave them a honeymoon room with a outdoor egg bath at no extra cost even though she was not getting married here.
I suffer from severe allergies and had one of the worst attacks of my life, the staff battled and cared for me until the ambulance arrived, my epi pen was in a suitcase and no one could understand me, howeer, the girls although stressed were wonderful, thank you, it can be very dramatic when a person has a attack, mine was from some weird insect. I will be forever grateful for the staff's quick thinking!
The only issue I had was my 14 year old boys could order alcohol and they did with their cousins. I asked bar staff at all pool to not serve them alcohol but it kept happening, teenagers! I must point out this is a common practice across Thailand so you have to keep on top of it.
Please get the bonus point system on check-in it will save you a fortune on food, the following visit my daugther did it and had heaps of Bart left over for shopping! They did not explain the system to us on check-in on the first visit which was a shame.
I will write another review on the facilities for the kids it deserves it's own review!
Great resort close to shopping, great staff, clean rooms and amazing gardens! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you have young children stay either in the Lagoon rooms near the children's pool or the mail...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Sawasdee Romany888,
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review on Centara Karon Resort. Im delighted there plenty of positive aspects to your stay. I am sorry to read of the negative issues raised. I hope your health has fully recovered. I was disappointed to read of the alcohol serving incident and had management been aware we would not accept a staff member serving alcohol to under age teenagers and the teenagers would also be cautioned against breaking Thai Laws.
Im delighted it was a pleasant stay overall and you would return.
Regards
Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Arrived at centara after a few days in Bangkok ready to chill out on the beaches. We checked in and was shown to our room which was obviously a upgrade for our 11 night stay. What can I say .... WOW .... we had been given a cabana room which was fantastic. After 3 nights though we returned to hotel after a long day out sightseeing and got a phone call telling us we had to vacate the room ... upon spending a hour in reception to sort out the problem we were told you could stay in room but speak to hotel manager the next morning which we did. She explained that we had only been given the upgrade for the first three days as our room was not ready for us on arrival and they now needed the cabana for arriving guests. Had this been explained to us we would not have accepted the room as we had just got settled and now had to pack all our belongings and move to another room. The manager apologised for the lack of information from staff on our arrival and said they could only compensate us for the inconvenience by way of a meal or drinks in the restaurant which we never received. The hotel overall is excellent with good breakfast buffet and the A la carte food on a evening excellent. It is just a shame that our holiday was disrupted by having to spend time moving rooms which I was not happy about.

Sawasdee Julie12319029,
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review from your recent stay. It was great to read so many nice comments about our resort however I am sorry to read about the room mis-communication. We certainly will work harder to improve on this aspect.
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Me and my wife just got back from an 8 day stay here for our honeymoon and all we could say was WOW this is by far the most beautiful resort that we have ever stayed in it was recommended to us by our travel agent who has stayed here and in many other resorts in phuket karon and this was her pick and i can see why. We stayed in room 1010 which had its own mini pool which was just unreal. There was thee pools with one dedicated to kids with slides ect which was a great idea and all three had bars, the grounds were beautiful it was like walking through an oasis from the moment we got there every staff member had a smile on their face and were only to happy to help . i must admit once we booked i got on trip adviser to look at the reviews and when i saw a couple of bad ones i was a little worried but once we got there it made me realise how unrealistic people are. i mean i read one review were someone said there was a screaming kid, i mean come on how is that the resorts fault and the fact that in the 8 days that we were there i never heard one kid scream, i also read that people say there was not much choice at breakfast, well the only problems we had with breakfast was there was to much to choose from and all of the food was beautiful. someone also wrote that they did not like the views of old buildings ect you do realise you are in Thailand don't u, i don't know what these people expect but it exceeded our expectations. i do a lot of contracting work in resorts in QLD Australia and none of the ones i have been in don't even come close to this one so trust me for those people that write bad reviews DO NOT LISTEN to them so all i can say is thank you Centara Karon Resort and the wonderful staff that help made our stay so fantastic we will be coming back and bringing some friends.

1 Thank Glenn M
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Glenn M
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. Your thoughts and suggestions will help readers to make an informed decision on their next holiday destination. I particularly liked your comments on how good you found our breakfast to be and how our wonderful staff made your holiday such a fantastic experience here with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My partner and I spent 8 nights in a Premium Deluxe suite. Our room was spacious and the bathroom quite large also. We loved everything about the resort. All three pools were large with pool bars, however would discourage going to the 'lagoon pool' unless you have children. Children everywhere! 2 hour happy hour was probably one of our favorite things, along with the genuine friendliness of all the staff throughout the entire resort. The gardens were kept immaculate at all times. We enjoyed the spa, a really relaxing environment, however only went twice as it was much cheaper to get a massage outside of the resort. Room service was always fairly quick but we did stay in off-season. Breakfast had a wide range of western foods as well as thai foods and a fresh tropical fruit buffet. The location was great, unlike some of the other resorts around Karon Beach, Centara Karon Resort was right among everything, which made transport easy - you could walk anywhere! The only negative thing I have to say about the resort is that for the first two days we were there, there was no hot water in the shower, however when we told reception, we came back from our tour that afternoon and it had been fixed, so we weren't at all fussed. Overall, Centara made our holiday so comfortable and relaxing - we will definitely be returning soon!

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms in Tropicale area at the back of the resort seemed to be a lot quieter than the sup...
1 Thank Brooke359
Sawasdee Brooke 359
It was a pleasure to read your review and know that you had such a wonderful stay with us at Centara Karon Resort.
I particular found your comment how you found our staff being genuine friendly throughout the entire resort and the gardens kept immaculate at all times very nice and will be shared with all our staff members.

I hope we can welcome you and your family back in the near future?

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just come back from 12 nts at this resort a little disappointed we were originally in the main building which is awful. Not much of a seaview overlooking the ugly old buildings of Karon. We were upgraded to the Tropicale building which we appreciated but was much the norm as a lot of people I spoke to were also upgraded. Unfortunately our daughter and husband plus our 2 grandchildren had to pay extra as they had 2 rooms. The resort looks 4 star from the outside more like 3 inside. Bathrooms not good called someone to fix the drain in shower which overflowed still was no good so I removed the cover of drain myself then it worked. The only thing that was remotely newish was the TV. You pay for Wi FI which is so slow almost not worth having. Breakfast was ordinary to say the least probably one of the worst I've had in all of the hotels we have stayed in. But I have to say most of the staff were fantastic very helpful, they are very lucky to have them they make the stay enjoyable. The pools were great especially the kids one the other pools seemed to have loud music playing most of the time which is not very relaxing if you're trying to read a book. Look this a family hotel the prices are reasonable for what you get our grandchildren had a ball and overall we all enjoyed ourselves they just have to upgrade the place to make it a proper 4 star resort,

Room Tip: Anywhere except the main building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sirtravelalot5
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Sirtravelalot5
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay. I’m sorry to hear about your issues in the Terrace room "If something is broken in a guest room, we will certainly repair it or change your room. Sometimes things will break or be damaged and I agree it shouldn't happen (but it does) and hopefully we will manage the situation to your satisfaction and I’m delighted to hear that it was fixed with your upgrade to our premium deluxe room in Tropicale building
Wifi is free for 30 min every day and by joining our reward program Centara 1 Card on www.centara1card.com you can enjoy free internet and other benefits throughout your stay at the resort .
I’m surprised to hear that you didn't like the breakfast with all the positive feedback we do receive from fellow tripadvisor comments and guest cards.
Great to see that you found our staff fantastic and very helpful and made your stay enjoyable along with that your grandchildren had a great time in the pool and overall value for money

Durban
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a great hotel; it just wasn't for us. I'll tell you why - in case you look for the same things as we do:
1. We seemed to have visited when it was 'Little Australia' season. I hear that for large portions of the year it's predominantly used by Russian tourists. I have no problem with either of these nationalities, I just personally hate going to a foreign country on holiday and being completely swamped with any one culture which is native to the country being visited.
2. The resort is also huge - which isn't my thing. Although they did deal with the hugeness of it by breaking it down into separate 'resort-within-resorts', each centred around a swimming pool.
This is great if you're on a family holiday.
3. As a couple who had left our children at home with our parents so that we could have a romantic break, we would have liked somewhere where we didn't have to hear children screaming the whole time.
4. The food and drinks at the hotel were pricy. They did have all inclusive packages, but I like to have a balance when I'm on holiday - I like to experience the 'authentic' cuisine too. There were plenty of options right on the hotel's doorstep though.
5. The hotel isn't on the beach; and Karon Beach generally is not great. There are often warnings about rip tides, it's very commercialised, and just not really our thing. We walked all the way from the north end of Karon Beach to the south end and I vastly preferred the south end.
6. We were allocated a room with an interleading door to an adjacent suite. You could hear all the movement and conversations from the adjacent room - which was really off-putting!

Pro's:
1. The staff were probably the best we'd experienced in the whole of Thailand.
2. The facilities are great for families.
3. The reception lobby and dining areas are impressively designed.
4. The breakfast options were substantial.
5. Half-price cocktail happy-hour was super!
6. The room we stayed in was large.

1 Thank Bevkel
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Sawadee Bevkel,
Thanks for providing some comments for guests to read. Im delighted you liked your stay as well as I enjoyed your 'mega-resort' description (dont visit Vegas or Macau!). Im pleased to read your many positive comments on a variety of aspects however Im sorry a few areas weren't per your expectations. We certainly do sell ourselves as family friendly and a few minutes from the beach. Our markets are predominantly Scandinavians but we do enjoy Australians, UK and Russians guests as well.
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 10 nights at Centara Karon Resort after 3 nights in Bangkok. We stayed on the 4th floor of the terrace block. Room was very clean and comfortable, Air Con worked well - which was really needed with temperatures of 34-36 degrees. Price included Breakfast - very impressed with the choice and especially the staff - all very helpful and smiling. Grounds were really impressive, very well looked after lawns, pools and communal areas. Centara is well placed, just a short 5 minute walk to the beach, shops and pub restaurants all close at hand.

Would not hesitate to book again to return, the only slight niggles - which are not really criticisms - were that the whole restaurant was available to smokers - a separate area for smokers, especially in an area serving food - would have been good. Coming from the UK we have all got used to big no smoking areas. The same applies to the pool areas.

Rooms were cleaned daily and big yellow pool towels on hand every day - which was a nice touch. It was a bit noisy at night being close (at the back) to some of the bars, but keeping the Air Con on and the balcony doors closed more or less cancelled it out.

Didn't use the spa - the Gym was small but well equipped with a range of machines and hand weights.

Room Tip: The individual apartments - cabanas - looked really good, but a bit pricy - would be ideal for honey...
Sawasdee David R,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your stay at Centara Karon Resort. It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations and at the same time have provided readers some quality information in determining their next holiday location.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.