“Good location and excelent service”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #18 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Having read some of the reviews on this hotel I felt I must put my own review. Stayed here for a week at beginning of the year and had a lovely time. I dont know what some people expect but we were in the main hotel building and the additional buildings were only 2 stories high with huge balconies so probably upgrades, but our room on 7th floor, lovely room, no problem with air con or shower, small balcony. Lovely pool at ground level with swim up bar serving half price coctails at 4pm every afternoon. The grounds are beautifully kept with staff attending them constantly. Breakfast a short walk through grounds overlooking another pool, sometimes a few mins wait for a table, but again no problem,staff gracious and helpful. Breakfast super, the fried pancake thing with banana and condensed milk fantastic. The hotel is 15 min walk to gorgeous beach but right by shops and eateries, all very reasonably priced. I would return here if I wanted a relatively quiet resort with amenities all on hand.

Room Tip: choose garden rooms
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dioamond
There are newer reviews for Centara Karon Resort Phuket

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We really enjoyed our holiday in Thailand, we travelled to Phuket for the relaxing part of our holiday after a busy stay in Bangkok. We got what we expected at the Centara Karon, a lovely hotel with friendly welcoming staff. We mainly used the Terrace pool area as this was nice & quiet and close to our Cabana accommodation. There was another two large pools which were also lovely with plenty of loungers and not overcrowded. Having a Cabana was amazing & definitely worth the extra cost. It gave us the little extra luxuries & options of breakfast in the room etc. My only complaint was the mattress was quite firm/hard on the bed i found myself up early aching for the first hour every day. On very hot days the private jacuzzi terrace at the Cabana was lovely as the tropical plants provided a bit more shade than just an umbrella at the poolside. There was plenty of dining options in the area so we only ate two evenings at the hotel which was very nice. The breakfasts were great - plenty of choice and the few mornings we went to the self serve buffet we could see the choices catered to everyone's needs & was replenished frequently. The only thing that slightly bothered us on hot days was the short walk to the beach, having been spoilt on previous holidays staying at beach front hotels. Whichever way you walked you'd have to pass the shops etc & the locals would try their best to stop you to buy something, look in the tailors, get a massage or tuk tuk. Just be prepared to please or offend ? as a courteous smile & no thank you seemed to make us feel we were being quite rude ? Enjoyed the whole experience of Thailand - the food, shopping, beaches etc & will definitely stay at a Centara hotel again.

Room Tip: I believe this hotel caters for all types of travellers on all budgets. For luxury and 4* service...
3  Thank GE666
Management77, Resident Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor after your stay with us at Centara Karon Resort, Phuket and for the positive feedback detailed within your review and in particularly the room tip section which I hope many of our future guest will benefit from when reading. I'm delighted you had a nice time with us and that we met your expectations while staying in our 1 bedroom Cabana

For the mattress, I am sorry to hear that this was too firm. If we have the pleasure of a future visit, please do not hesitate to contact us on ckr@chr.co.th prior to your arrival and request for an additional top mattress.

Best Regards from sunny Phuket,

Michael Gaarde-Nielsen

Resident Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This Resort should, at best be rated, as a 3 star. Rooms noisy, in need of a big renovation. I saw rubbish in a garden bed which stayed there for our 8 night visit. Breakfast not up to the standard expected in Thailand. Evening meals were first class which I could not understand. Staff pleasant except for the pool and gym staff who could not be bothered. Bath towels disappeared in the morning and returned in the afternoon. Shortage of linen ?? Room plumbing sometimes gave hot water sometimes did not. If you like to sit in the gardens at night and have vodka fuelled parties till the small hours this is the place for you.

Room Tip: A good tip. Stay somewhere else. !!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron S
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am very glad to hear that you liked the majority of our Team and the Dinner quality.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the general inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We are striving on consistently delivering exceptional service to all our guests but regrettably, we seemed to have failed on this occasion. The issues have been addressed with my Team in order to initiate more efficiency and to avoid the same issues in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and we would truly appreciate to welcome you back to our resort should the opportunity arise, to show you that we are indeed able to provide you with the full Thai Hospitality.

Kind Regards

Andreas Korf

Reviewed November 16, 2011

The four of us (2 couples) stayed here in late October and we loved it. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view room and it’s true that they’re not as fancy as some hotel rooms but we didn’t come all the way to Thailand to sit in our room all day. The air-conditioning worked fine, as did the shower. The room faced the street but we weren’t kept up by, nor did we hear, loud music at night. Rooms were cleaned each day with towels and linen changed.

Breakfast choice was fine and certain menu items were interchanged each day. We went down to the Terrace pool each day and took advantage of happy hour. There was one staff member in particular, Narin, who was a standout employee. He made the coacktails at the Terrace pool, although I think he is now a bell hop. Narin was friendly, funny and makes the best Coco Loco’s in all of Thailand. With that said, we found the majority of staff at Centara Karon Resort to be very friendly.

We ate at the resort a couple of times but mostly went out into the town. My favourite place was the Bamboo Kitchen which is located just before the Red Onion. For those who love their steaks, the Buffalo Steak House was a good feed.

The hotel is in a very good location. Close to restaurants, markets and night life. However, if you’re looking for a taxi driver, try and find Mr Wat. If you go out of the hotel and turn left at the second street and go to the end where it meets the main road this is where you can usually find him with a group of other Tuk Tuk drivers. He is very helpful, speaks good English and most importantly is a wonderful and safe driver (these are sometimes hard to find).

we went and saw the Bug Buddah which is amazing, Also booked the Bukit Elephant Safari. The location wasn't as nice as the full on rainforest ones but it is only half an hour from the resort and by that stage we were sick of spending hours on end driving to places. Also did the Phi Phi Islands tour. We booked the six island tour (most only do 3 or 4) but it was too much for one day and we feel like we missed out as we didnt get to stay in places as long as we would have hoped. Also drove to the outlet stores but found they are quite similar to Australian products and also the same price. We stopped in at Phuket Town markets which are massive, I dont think we even got half way through.

All in all we had a great time at Centara Karon Resort and would definately stay there again.

4  Thank Shann_11
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife and I have just returned home from a 2 week holiday at the Centara Resort Hotel Karon (26 October – 10 November 2011). To say our holiday was different from the brochures is to say the least an understatement.
Our holiday was booked in January 2011. Our holiday was booked to incorporate my 60th birthday, a milestone in anyone’s life.
After travelling for over twenty hours to reach the Centara Resort Hotel Resort, we were not met with the customary, “did you have a good flight”, but with “you will have to pay £100 deposit in case of any damages to your room, or food and drink that you may have. We were astounded by this and refused. The manager was then called. We again refused to pay the £100, we were then asked for our cash cards and passports for them to take copies of. I asked for a drink of water, we were then told that if I wanted a drink of water I would have to buy one at the bar. At this point things were beginning to get heated when one of the reception staff brought 2 brightly coloured drinks for us. After a half hour or so, we relented and let them copy our cash cards and passports and were shown to our room (1215) on the second floor. We were pointed in the direction of the mini-bar and told that we would be charged for everything we used except for the 2 customary free bottles of water. When we said that we would not be using the mini-bar; exactly 5 minutes later one of the staff came to clear out the mini-bars contents.
The room was far from superior, cheap looking black furniture, a so-so bathroom, and our view obscured by the hotels entry Monolith immediately in front of our room.
We had no hot water from the shower for 3 days; we were then invaded by the locals (of the insect kind) These insects were of at least 1 to 2 inches long, and were on the bathroom floor, walls and on our beds, while ants were running amok on the bedroom floor. We called reception about this and they duly came to our room: by this time I had killed all of the insects. We asked to be moved to another room and were told that moving to another room could not happen until the following day, but they were able to move us into a room in another part of the hotels complex. I asked straight away if this room was clear of insects. “Yes” was the reply. The room itself was an improvement, although 10 minutes after we moved in, a visitor, of the cockroache kind, scurried across the wall; when I got up to kill it I discovered a further 5 running around on the floor. We got dressed and made our way back to the hotel. This was at 2.30.a.m. We were so tired by this time, we called defeated by going back to room 1215 and sleeping with the light on for the remainder of the night.
I met with the manager Michael and told him that we wanted to be moved. To Michael’s credit he was fully understanding of our concerns and we moved the same afternoon to room 1806 on the 8th floor. The room was an improvement to room 1215, but now another problem raised its ugly head.
While moving in to our new room, my wife asked if the air-conditioning was working properly, they answered saying, give it 10 minutes for it to run in and work properly. Two hours later the air-conditioning still did not work properly, and our new room was very hot. The house keeper came, as did the maintenance man, who immediately found that the air-conditioning was indeed not working. He took out the grill from the passageway, and left it dangling. The switch that adjusts the temperature was taken out and left hanging. Our new room began to look like a building site. My wife and I dressed and left the room. When we returned later that night to find that the air-conditioning was working.
To be fair, the hotel did try to make amends by presenting us with a bowl of fruit, bottle of sparkling wine, a meal voucher and lastly allowing us to stay in our room until our taxi turned up on our departure. All that said, a bit of diplomacy on our arrival, and basic hotel room maintenance before guests arrive should be the norm, rather than putting guests through turmoil during their stay.
Would we stay at the Centara Resort Hotel again, as the title of my review says, The Jury is out on this one.

Room Tip: I think I am the wrong person to ask about this hotels rooms
4  Thank Dave E
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on TripAdvisor and I am truly sorry we met under these circumstances during your first few days with us, but trust you had a memorable 60th birthday in Phuket.
For your room maintenance and arrival experience, I do apologies that we did not meet your expectations and our normally high Thai service standards. I have shared the comments with our concerned departments and arranged the following week additional training for the teams in order to avoid similar issues in the future.

With regards for the deposit, in international hotels it is normal upon arrival to leave a deposit, either being cash or a pre-authorization by credit card, which then upon departure either would be released by the bank or used to offset any spending occurred during the stay.

For the design of the room, it is sometimes very difficult to please all, especially with interior design or location. We are split into separate sections of accommodation with beautiful gardens set around. The different room types with different decor at the end, are to each ones likings or dislike which is perfectly understandable and normal.

As mention during our meeting, we do as much as possible try to avoid any kind of insects in guest rooms, as this being Asia and tropics, we are more prone to insects in the room, especially should the balcony/terrace door be left open while enjoying the cool breeze on the balcony or terrace.

Once again, I do apologies that we did not meet our normal standards and your expectations during the first few days and thank you again for your feedback in person and on TripAdvisor. We would truly appreciate to welcome you back to our resort or another Centara Hotel should the opportunity arise, to show you that we are indeed able to provide you with the full Thai Hospitality.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me via rmckr@chr.co.th

Kind Regards
Michael Gaarde-Nielsen
Resident Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed there in October, originally in the Lagoon apartments, the furniture and decor was a bit on the dark side, but can't fault the cleanliness of the place. No problems with the choice of food at breakfast, there was a queue at the big dining room so we just went to the other dining room, no problem. Very central to everything in Karon, very good value for money. We later moved to the Tropicale apartments, they were in a different league to the other apartments, lovely decor, flat screen tele, beautiful modern bathroom, nice bedding, and nice light furniture, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank patsyManchester
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We have just come home from a three week holiday to Phuket. We spent the first six nights at Centara Karon Beach and to be honest I wasn't expecting much as it was the cheapest of the three resorts we were staying in but I was very pleasantly surprised. As we arrived the grand lobby was very impressive and they served us a welcome drink and gave us cold facewashers (this was the only resort out of the three we stayed in that did this). We were then told that the rooms we booked weren't available but they would upgrade us for the first night and then move us to our room the next day. We got put in two premium deluxe interconnecting rooms (as we had 3 adults and 3 young children) which was great. The next day we were told we could stay there for the whole 6 nights - fantastic. The location of our room was really good - large pool right out our door, kids pool a short stroll away and breakfast a 1 minute walk. The kids pool was awesome - 2 waterslides, bridges and tunnels... my kids loved it. The breakfast buffet was great - had everything we needed although I would have loved some porridge haha. We found the beds a little hard but I mentioned it at reception and they addressed it immediatley and put a sponge overlay on them - much better. Housekeeping was fantastic. The location of the resort is great with a good selection of markets and restaurants right outside the door. The staff driving the golf buggies were really great and always gave us a lift if they saw us. It was also my 5 year old's birthday the day after we arrived and the resort sent a complimentary birthday cake to our room and a card - he was so excited, really made his day. Any issues we did have (very minor) we mentioned to the manager in an email after we left and he was very good at replying back and communicating with us. I was impressed with his attitude, he really does want everyone to have a great stay. We will definitely go back to the Centara.

Room Tip: Stay in a premium deluxe room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family