Centara Karon Resort @ Karon in Phuket is a Fantastic Hotel.
We have just returned from a 15 night stay at the hotel and would Recommend to all, be it, young/old couples and famlies.
The Hotel has something for all. We were met at the Airport by a Centara Car and taken to the hotel (approx 40 mins) Met at the reception with an Ice Cold towel and the check in was really effortless with the luggage we had dragged over the otherside of the world taken to our Deluxe Lagoon room.
The room was clean, tidy and a decent size. The bed was harder than normal for us but it wasnt a major issue and we adjusted. The room also contained a TV, a tea/coffee maker, and well stocked if not a little expensive mini bar.
The bathroom was a decent size and contained a bath/shower(which was difficult to keep a constant temp)
Aircon in the room was spot on and worked without fail, it was a must during the day and helped provide a great snooze at night
We used all the pools and found them to be very clean with many beds available not matter what time of day you used them, All had swim up bars. Our favourite pool was the Tropicale Pool as it was large and more often than not chilled out with the famlies/Kids using the Lagoon Pool.
The Price of food and drink at the pool bars was quiet more than you could get just outside the door but you are paying for the excellent service and ease of eating/drinking where you relax. (a Beer in O'Tools is 60BHT, at the pool bars its 129BHT)
We never took the hotel up on the Hotel Money offer, where if you bought 10,000BHT from them they gave you 5,000BHT free to spend at the resort, we thought it would restrict us as we liked to venture out for lunch/dinner and felt it gave us the "all Inclusive" feeling.
I will however say it would be good value for famlies who would have the lunch time/dinner trauma greatly reduced as the food is brought to where you sit at the pool or at your apartment.
The incusive breakfast in the mornings was decent and everyone should find something they like, with a 15 night stay the main proble was not getting bored with the breakfast but something different most days helped,Juices, cereal, bread and hot food such as eggs, rashers, beans and potatoe along with rices and noodles all served up fresh each morning.
The weather for our stay was great with little cloudy days and rain only appearing the odd night over the 2 weeks, we where a little apprehensive as the forecasts leading up to the holiday give the impression that the sun doesnt come out and electrical storms are a plenty, so it was a relief all round.
Karon itself is a nice place with everything you need outside the door of the hotel, the places we enjoyed where O'Tools irish bar for the food and drink (especially the Chips) the Karon Cafe and the 2 Chefs both had excellent dishes and atmosphere.
We Visited the Red Onion due to the many recommendations on this site and the food is Excellent and a fraction of the price of many of the other places we had eaten in Karon.
The downside was the poor service from the waiters, the lack of ventaliation(no aircon, little use of fans) and the insects flying about ment we only went the once. It is well worth trying, the food was 10/10
We took a couple of trips using the tour offices 2 doors to the left of O'Tools Irish bar, the lady was very nice, gave us good deals(which we found out on the trips and heard what other people had paid) and re-arranged one of the trips that had to be changed at short notice and at no extra cost.
PHI-PHI Island on the fast boats cost 1500BHT each and was a full day (7am-5.30pm) with a buffet lunch included. The trip was very good but the sea was choppy and we couldnt get into maya bay (The Beach) but the alternative was good and the various islands worth seeing. TIP- Dont have a night on the beer before you go and dont eat too much at the buffet at lunch
KHAO LAK elephant trekking including canoeing cost 1900BHT, again it was a full day (7am-7.30pm) This area is not in phuket and takes a couple of hours to get there from the hotel. The reason we booked this trip above the others was that it was the elephants in their national envoiriment and they are not chained up and free to roam when they are not with tourists(the ones in phuket seemed to be chained round the clock and living and walking on the roads around Kata)
When we made it to the trekking it was well managed and we had an hour or so on the elephant who showed its power and agility bringing us up over rocks/waterfalls into the heart of the jungle. After this was lunch, a Very nice selection of thai and european food a quality above the food on the phi phi island trip
We where then taking up the river and canoed back to the bus/place where the food was served. (1+Hour) Tipping the Canoe Guide was mentioned as they were paid pence per day, but were very good/friendly.
Stop off at other points such as monkey cave and various view points all good. This day is excellent and good value but takes it out of you so its best to have a chilled out evening after it not the bangala road, patong session we had.
One other trip out we did was to strike up a deal with a TUK TUK driver Mr.Lame who took us around the south west of the island to the shooting range, big budda, jewellary store and kata view points, all in all 3+ Hours and plenty of photos, Great way of getting around as the hiring of mopeds/beds while cheap is Risky business on the Island
Karon beach is a short walk away from the hotel and is lovely, white sand and warm clear water. Closed to swimming when we were there due to the waves/under currnets but wading in was allowed and showed you the power of the sea. 100BHT Per Bed for the day
Night Time in Karon was quiet enough at the time we went but a 10 minute TUK TUK to patong changed all that. the Hotel in Karon and the atmosphere is ideal as its chilled out with the option of heading into the area around the bangala road if you fancy a wilder experience, leaving it all there when you get the TUK TUK back to the centara.
Internet in the Hotel was expensive and not the quickest. 220BHT per hour, (1 Hour Free with Cabanas) there are 2 internet cafes within 5 minutes of the hotel that provide a quicker connction and charge 1BHT per Min, Better off using these.
Finally... We Upgraded to a Cabana Room for the last 5 nights of our stay, it worked out at £40 extra per night and after experiencing the Cabana's worth every penny!
Own private front and back garden. (sun loungers and a Plunge Pool/Jacuzzi)
Very private and discrete with complementary Cocktails each evening and the option of having your breakfast delivered to your room each morning.
Larger Bed/Bathroom, Flat screen tv/DVD player and the General feeling that you are Centara's special guests all Included.
TUK TUK to PATONG 300BHT
Mens Polo Shirts 250BHT
Designer Sunglasses 150BHT
All in All 10/10 for the Centara Karon, its staff and its Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Karon Town, with an abundance of eateries and entertainment options at its doorstep and Karon Beach a short stroll away, the resort is perfectly located to experience the many facets of Phuket. As a destination in its own right, Centara Karon Resort Phuket fulfils every holiday aspiration, from pure bliss at Spa Cenvaree to active holidays and family fun with activities galore, yoga sessions, three swimming pools, waterslides and a kids’ club. This four-star resort, laid out within beautiful gardens backed by green hills, is comprised of four very distinctive residential zones. Couples and small families will find the rooms and Honeymoon Suites at the Terraces a comfortable retreat, and enjoy the option of ocean view or a private outdoor Jacuzzi; while families and groups of friends are spoilt for choice with spacious guestrooms set moments away from the waterslide and games of the Lagoon pool. The generously-sized one- and two-bedroom Cabanas feature a private terrace with a plunge Jacuzzi. As a fun place for families, the resort has a kids’ club with daily activities and three expansive swimming pool areas complete with three children’s pools for the younger ones to splash in, two waterslides and pool games. Pool parties are held regularly, and other activities include tennis and football. The resort also has two restaurants, a sports bar, and three swim-up pool bars A scheduled shuttle service takes guests from the resort to Patong, and Phuket International Airport is reached in less than one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Travelocity so you can book your Centara Karon Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Karon Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Karon Hotel Phuket
- Centara Hotel Karon