“FINANCIAL SCAM at CC Blooms- BEWARE!!”
Review of CC's Hideaway

CC's Hideaway
Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Karon
San Francisco, California
“FINANCIAL SCAM at CC Blooms- BEWARE!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I am very sad to be writing this review. I have stayed at CC Blooms three times in the past three years - and I lliked it very much. I have recently become the VICTIM OF A FINANCIAL SCAM by the owner of the hotel. In addition to paying for my hotel stay, Skip Burns (the owner) asked to charge an additional 10,300 Baht to my credit card which he promised to repay within a few days. Now that I have returned to the US, the repayment is overdue, and he is finding every excuse not to issue the credit to my credit card. I want other guests to BEWARE of this SCAM. In addition to losing the 10,300 Baht, I am sad because I would never stay at this hotel again, even though the local staff is a really great team. CC Blooms has just added a large addition to the hotel, and the business seems to be doing quite well (nearly full occupancy) but I suspect I am not the first guest who has had this problem.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank SFTraveler95
BigIslandRox, Owner at CC's Hideaway, responded to this review, September 20, 2009
The person responsible for this incident is no longer associated with CC Bloom’s. Management has been in contact with the reviewer and we have settled this issue. We hope that the reviewer returns to give CC Bloom’s another chance. He will see many improvements since his last visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
melbourne
Reviewed October 26, 2008

CC Blooms knocked me out with their initial warm and welcoming introduction. Throughout the further 4 weeks in which my friend and I stayed that initial excellent service and friendly feeling never went away. The setting of this hotel is exceptional, beautiful colours of green leaves, orange lights, blue inviting pool and purple decor is a feast for the eyes. The lovely food a feast for the taste buds and the rooms are comfortable and clean, decked out with cable TV/DVD complete with a communal collection of DVD's, and books to borrow to read by the pool. CC Blooms is known as gay friendly but to be honest, CC Blooms is quite simply people friendly!!! During my stay I saw all types.....families with small children were a treat to see at breakfast enjoying an early swim in the pool, there were many friendly travellers from around the world, some on their own, others travelling together, but all felt relaxed and comfortable at CC Blooms pool side bar and we shared many stories about our lives from across the globe. The backbone of CC Blooms is Robert 'Skip' Burns, he is a delightful host. Skips' commitment to his staff stemming from the experiences of the tsunami and his commitment and faith in them is part of the reason you can sense the love and respect each staff member has for each other. When you first arrive you are told "this is your home away from home" after a short while you realise these are not empty words but exactly how you will feel and be treated throughout your stay.....I'll be back all the best Michelle from AUS xxoo

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank poppycc
Perth
Reviewed October 22, 2008

My friend and I were travelling around Thailand and what was meant to be a 2 night stay in Phuket and CC Blooms, turned into nearly 4 weeks! I cannot rate this Hotel highly enough. It is the beautiful location and the staff that make this the perfect paradise getaway. The location was perfect, away from the craziness of Patong but close enough to get to by the hotel car should you want to.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty - the staff are amazing, and made us feel totally at home. The owner Skip said that it was meant to be like a second home - but as I said to him , I beg to differ - it's better than home!!

The rooms were spacious and clean with modern facilities and the restaurant food was lovely. I will definately recommend CC Blooms to friends and will stay again myself.

Thank you for making my holiday wonderful! 1st Class!

Neska xo

• Liked — It was all wonderful
  • Disliked — nothing!
1 Thank Neska77
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed October 14, 2008

This was kind of a last-minute mini-vacation for me from Hong Kong. I found a great return airfare through Zuji (the Asia division of Travelocity), and it also showed me a choice of hotels. It was the other reviews here that made my decision for me, and I certainly didn't regret it. It's up a hill overlooking Kata Beach and the town, and the hill is steep, so you would do well to rent a car or take advantage of the free transportation runs seven times a day (roughly every two hours) into Kata and Karon beaches. The other advantage of the location is its peace and quiet.

The bar is also the front desk, with the pool right there and the restaurant. The staff are courteous and friendly, and their English ranges from pretty good to excellent. Clean rooms, each room has a TV and DVD player, and there is a selection of DVD movies you can borrow for the night and books, as well.

Lee is the staff concierge -- excellent English (he's from Hong Kong originally), and he'll book whatever tours you want or arrange to rent a car, which I did. The room comes with continental breakfast buffet, with hard-boiled eggs, croissants, bread, two kinds of juice, milk, yogurt and lots of fresh fruit. Also, peanut butter and three choices of jam and either coffee or a wide selection of tea.

The website bills the hotel as gay-friendly, which to me is neither here nor there, because the guests while I was there were as diverse as you can imagine. What matters is clean rooms, comfortable beds, friendly and efficient service and peace and quiet at a reasonable price (US$31 a night for an ocean-view room in low season, which is May through October). And C.C. Bloom's is all that! Its high ranking here is no accident. I will definitely stay there again

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly and efficient staff, peace and quiet above the town with a view of the ocean
  • Disliked — It's trivial, but I hope they install hand-held shower units someday.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank wkyken
Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2008

If you are looking for a place to really, really wind down and relax, it would be very hard to beat CC Bloom's. This place really is a gem and since returning from Thailand last week I have had the diary out searching for dates for a return visit. The hotel brings together the essential elements of staff, service, amenity, atmosphere and location in a very successful package. Working backwards, the location is out of the hustle and bustle of the tourist haunts of Phuket and it really does feel like you are coming home to a hillside retreat at the end of the day. The hotel has resolved all transport issues for when you want to go out and about. It's really just a matter of asking and it is all arranged with charming efficiency. Next, the atmosphere. I would return just for this, I think - it's just so laid back and friendly. Guests seem to visibly relax soon after arrival (and the warm welcome from owner/manager Skip) and mingling with other guests comes easily to all but the most stilted or reserved of people. The hotel has all of the amenities you would expect to see at much more expensive establishments. You will want for nothing - even if you are regular guest at brand name five star hotels. There are surprises at every turn - for example the kitchen turns out terrific meals, something I was not expecting for a small hotel like this one. But it is the staff that is perhaps the best feature of CC's. They love what they do and are unfailingly professional, friendly, warm and welcoming. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. The pride that staff take in their work is evident at every turn - from the expertly mixed sunset cocktails to the meticulous room servicing. Highly recommended.

• Liked — The atmosphere, staff and excellent service
  • Disliked — having to leave
1 Thank pablomoderno
nyc
Reviewed September 11, 2008

My wife and I are in the middle of a 7-month trip and after many exotic locations decided with hesitation to spend a few nights in touristy Phuket. We booked one night at CC Bloom’s after finding a great deal on the website and were so happy and relieved to find it’s one of the true rare cases where you actually do get more than what you pay for! From the moment we arrived the smiling, friendly staff went above and beyond. They brought us welcome drinks, took the time to explain how to make ourselves at home both at the hotel and around town and moved our bags to the room without us even realizing it. The room was large, had a very comfortable bed with nice sheet, a tv with satellite cable and dvd player and a kitchen with microwave, sink and fridge. I would like to note that I’ve read some other reviews about geckos in the room. We did have one in our room on the last couple of days but I’ve stayed in about 10 other hotels from 5 star to midrange throughout India and Southeast Asia over the past few months and have found this to be the case at all of them. At first it bothered me but my husband lived in Florida for a while and said they even came in his home. It’s called tropical weather so you just have to deal with it in exchange for the paradise location! By the next morning we extended our trip to a 2-week stay just because we felt so at home and relaxed! The owner, Skip, an expat from North Carolina, is around to answer questions or just chat about his life in Thailand. If you stay, ask him about his experience during the tsunami. It’s a really touching story that just reaffirms what at excellent family you’ll find at CC Bloom’s. The entire staff works like a team and in many cases did something for us or brought us something before we even realized we wanted it. It was so nice to feel pampered. My wife came down with a little cold during the middle of our stay and Skip drove us to the pharmacy to help pick out medicine while back at the hotel one of the guys made her a special hot breakfast drink each morning. Speaking of the breakfast, it’s pretty good continental buffet now for being complimentary (pastries, fresh fruits, juices, real coffee from a fancy machine, yogurt and granola, hard boiled eggs) but by fall Skip told us he plans to add waffles/pancakes and omelets to the list. He’s about to build an open-air kitchen by the bar so that he can make a cooking class available to guests.
The hotel is up on the mountain overlooking Kata beach, only a 3 minute ride with CC’s free shuttle which runs all throughout the day and evening (which makes it no problem to get back and forth). You can even use the pool towels to bring down to the beach. We also walked down to town a couple of times and yes it’s a little bit of a hike back but we’re not in that great of shape and managed just fine. We found it nice to be up on the hill secluded from the very touristy and developed beaches. Several days we were even happy to spend the day laying around CC’s beautiful pool that feels like you are in a lavish backyard at someone’s exotic tropical home. Not to mention there’s also a pool table, plenty of DVDs and books to borrow, a wonderful restaurant and a 24-hour bar. But when you do want to go out you’ll find a wonderful list of restaurant suggestions with descriptions and price range in the room that Skip put together himself from experience which we found handy and spot on (especially Capannian’s in Kata-owned by 2 Italians, has great pizza and homemade pasta) and Ratri (a pretty live jazz restaurant up on the hill just note the live music doesn’t start until 8:30 so don’t make the mistake of going too much earlier like we did). Since there are only about 20 rooms at CC’s (and a brand new property down the street that will be open for business soon with 4 apartments and a separate pool) you really get a 5 star/boutique hotel feel and service without having to break the bank. The free wifi worked great in our room and all around the pool and bar, something we’ve found doesn’t hold true at all spots even when advertised. There are also 2 computers in the common area for complimentary use with 24-hour access. We really can’t think of a bad thing to say and will go back to Thailand just to visit CC’s again, hopefully bringing friends and family in toe to share it with

• Liked — gorgeous hotel and attentive, friendly staff
  • Disliked — location was a bit out of the way but that's what we were looking for...
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pdsty
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2008

CC Blooms is located up high, on the hill overlooking Kata and Karon Beaches, but transport is offered down to all the action. We stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed the tranquillity so much we only went down to the beaches once. You are made to feel at home from the first moment; the introduction talk is warm and welcoming. The rooms are fabulous, with a small kitchenette and a coffee-maker with great ground-coffee. The pool is a delight, the food is excellent, the drinks are good and the breakfast is brilliant. Good free interent, excellent DVDs and a DVD player in every room along with cable TV ( great if it rains)

We will be back next year.

A huge thank you to all the staff who made us feel so comfortable.

• Liked — the pool, the view, the brilliant service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Navatara Phuket Resort
Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa
Chanalai Garden Resort
Chanalai Garden Resort
#13 of 57 in Kata Beach

Been to CC's Hideaway? Share your experiences!