We've just returned from Phuket and I feel that I should quickly share my experience staying at The Phulin for the benefit of many travelers. We booked this hotel after reading much plus reviews about it and wanting to experience Karon beach and quieter surrounding.
Let me start with the plus points:
1. Newly refurbished spacious rooms
2. We booked 2 rooms and I realised that the standard rooms have no kettle which would be an issue for me since I brought along my 1yr old son, after continuous request, the Resort upgraded both rooms to Deluxe rooms w/o add charge and equiped with tea/cofee facilities, kettle, microwave and rather big fridge.
3. Quite a good location-near mini mart & tuk2 / taxi stand
The Irritating parts:
1. Constant communication breakdown - big fuss over patty thing
we booked 2 rooms, the front desk and room service staff made a fuss over bedroom slippers! Yes, this Resort recycles their bedroom slippers. Before checking out, I called and inform front desk staff that the slippers from my 2nd room were all in the 1st room, somehow the room service sent their staff 2x to check as if we stole the slippers.
2. Missleading informantion and unpleasant Resort Manager
I requested for late check out in advance through booking.com customer service and via email. Unfortunately the Resort never responded on this matter. To make sure there was no prob later on, I personally called the Resort before flying to Phuket. The front desk said they could make an arrangement for me & family ie until 3pm tentatively. Feeling comfortable with the respond I went ahead to agree to talk to them soon after I reached the Resort. At the Resort the front office staff, said they could give me up to 14:00pm due to peak season, I was fine with it not until I met Ms. Pannee (not sure of the spelling though) the Manager. I tried to ask again from her if I could check out latest by 15:00 pm since my cab will arrive by then and due to my flight back home is at 21:00pm. She irritatingly said No to my request and insisted I checked out by 13:00pm.which was kind of weird when her staff had agree to allow me to check out by 14:00pm. More over she claimed that she did not know about the arrangement. What ticked me off was that she was giving me the arrogant look and defensive tone. Which as a so called front desk Mgr, she should have managed my expectation in a nicer manner. Instead of saying No, she shld have said she wld clarify with her staff & get back to me. Seriously, this Resort should send its staff to more customer service courses!.
3. Inconsistent hot & cold water - we usually end up taking cold shower!
4. Rooms were not meticulously cleaned & madeup! Linen was not changed, the stain from my baby's milk was still there on the linen, even after the room was made up. Left over soup in the sink was left for the guest to throw it away. On 2nd day, face towels were not replaced with new ones.
5. This Resort has No Elevator, we're lucky we insisted for the potter to help carry the luggage and stoller during check-in and out. They only give guests 1 room key, imagine u need to knock the door (no door bell) to get into the room.
6. The free shuttle to Karon Beach only goes one way. So coming back u need to walk for 15-20mins depending on how fast u walk or pay 200 Bhat for a tuk-tuk or cab.
7. Other things about staying in Karon, only 1 halal restaurant available so it'll be difficult for Muslim to find halal food in Karon. Transport frm Karon - Patong cost a bomb 400Bhat one way, imagine if u need to go to Patong u need to spend 800Bhat per trip, which that money can be used to enjoy on your shopping, explore Phuket or have better selection of food. The Karon beach is of course nicer, but at the time when we were there, the wave was bit high so, we prefer Patong Beach which was calmer and much more convenient to get things, food, toilet etc..
All in all, if we were to go back to Phuket, we'd stay in Patong area for easy access to many things w/o having to spend extra on transportation. But one thing for sure, We'll Never Ever again go back to The Phulin Resort an over rated Resort which doesn't deserve even a star. The Manager, should take up more courses on customer service.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Phulin Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phulin Hotel Karon
- Phulin Resort Karon
- Phulin Resort Phuket/Karon