“Not Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Club Med Phuket
Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Karon
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Spent 10 days with my family at the Resort. Phuket has a great Beach opposite the Resort which was really nice. The Resort was nice but service not as good as the Bali Club Med. Check-in experience was ordinary with our luggage never coming to our room and being left waiting for hours for a room. The GM's didn't interact with guests and didn't get us involved in many sports around the resort. Themed nights were not important as no-one greeted us at the door at the Restaurant. Food was good but was not replenished quickly enough.

We think we will choose another Club Med next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JoannaPace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dunsborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently re-visited Club Med Phuket and enjoyed the experience overall but there were a few minor details that let the experience down. We stayed in a suite this time and were very happy with bottle of Verve waiting for us and the amount of space and the facilities provided in the rooms.

The main pool is in desperate need of a facelift and re-tile but I don't know how you could do this without closing down the whole resort. My advice to Club Med would be to do this asap, as it needed it 2 years ago when we visited and it needs it even more now - really quite bad! The beach opposite is always clean and tidy.

The food this time was somewhat repetitive for lunches and overall not as nice as I remembered it at other Club Med asian locations.

Our 10 and 13 year old children enjoyed the sports and activities on offer. The service is always prompt and friendly and you always feel very welcome at Club Med.

Room Tip: If you're travelling as a group that are into sports, ask to be on that side of the resort or if...
2 Thank woggleDunsborough
Secunda, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My family and I recently stayed at Club Med Phuket about a week ago. I can honedtly say that it was an unforgettable experience. This is largely due to the staff members. Its such a relaxing getaway worth every penny.

Food is served all day from about 7-12 and the drinks keep coming for free from the bar from after breakfast at 9:00 till about 2:00 the next morning.

I would actually like to really commend the barman named Abu. He made it quite an amazing experience and went out of his way to make us feel at home. The entire bar team as well as restaurant team were friendly, very helpful and altogether quite extraordinary. In fact the entire G.O team was...

I would definitely love to go back. In fact my one week at Club Med Phuket was an absolute paradise.

• Stayed July 2013
Hamilton, NZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The place is large and clearly there are too many people for the facilities. There are no spare seats around the pool and the deck chairs are two deep all around the main pool. It is over-priced: we came from a five star hotel in Phuket and when you added the food and drink, the two were very similarly priced.

But, the good things
1. They appear to run a very good Kids Club
2. The food is incredibly fantastic. Lots of dishes and a large portion of the dishes change daily. If it wasn’t for the fantastic food I would be rating Club Med lower.

But for us, the bad outweigh the good.
The rooms were disappointing (not like the brochures). The bathroom was rotting in places and clearly needed a refit. We had paid for an upgraded room so I would be fearful to be in a standard room. The first night we were in a room which people had previously been smoking heavily in. We changed rooms after the first night and the second room the air-conditioning hardly worked at all. We got maintenance to check it but as there was cold air coming out of it (just), they did nothing. We woke up most nights sweating.

The place is very impersonal and the staff (GO’s) were poor. A couple of years ago I went to Club Med Bintan so I assumed it was going to be like that. It was rare for a staff member (GO) to say anything to us all day. I went on the morning walk a couple of times and both times the GO (staff member) gravitated towards the young females. The first time he spoke to me was at the end of the walk (when he thanked me for coming). Twice I went to events called off by light rain but there were no staff there to say it had been cancelled. It was five days before a GO came up and spoke to us (tall Aussie male who takes snorkelling).
In Club Med Bintan you were greeted on entering the dining room and often you would often eat with another guest or staff member. At Phuket when you enter the food area and dinning area’s no one will greet or speak to you. Most meals you are left with the task of finding a seat. Although drinks are provided free you need to ask the over-worked waitresses for wine. Not once in six days were we offered another glass of wine.
The chairs in at least two of the dining rooms are covered in food stains. There is also a 10 cm band of dirt around the top of the chairs where dirty hands have lifted out the chairs from the table. The dining rooms are closer to cafeterias rather than 4 star restaurants. Three of our group of four got sick (one badly) during the stay.
The bar area service is slow. It wasn’t unusual for me to queue up for 10 minutes to get a coffee (but the coffee is excellent!). I gave up going to the bar to get even a coke as the wait was unbearable most times. I would rather pay and get good service.

Next time we will stay at a five star resort in Phuket that has a volleyball game for guests each day.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank guynz
ClubMedAP, General Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi guynz,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in Club Med Phuket. I am glad to read you enjoyed the Kids Club and the variety of food offer in the restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that the holiday did not meet your expectations especially regarding your first few days where my team of 80 G.O’s is available to direct our new guests and get familiarized with the Resort.

I've also taken note of your feedback on the conditions of the rooms and cleanliness of the restaurant. This will be addressed with the housekeeping and restaurant Managers for appropriate actions.

I thank you once again and rest assured that all feedback is reviewed with Management team here in Phuket.

Kind Regards,
Chef de Village / General Manager - Club Med Phuket
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from 13 days at Club Med phuket with my family of 9. The rooms and restaurant weren't quite as good as some of the other resorts we have been to but the G.O team here were by far the best we've met at any Club Med and made it a holiday i will definitely remember! Our whole family did Ash's classes nearly everyday and they were all really good and helped you feel better about the three buffet meals everyday. The snorkelling trip out to coral bay with Danny is a must do for every guest as well as archery with lynn and the trapeze with the circus team. Dad was also very impressed with dylan the golf instructor who worked with him on his chipping over the two weeks. Not only did all the sports team keep us busy during the day the shows put on at night were all amazing and the G.O's always kept going at the bar. To Ash, Dylan, Kumar, Danny, Lynn, Sasha and Wakana thankyou for all your hard work and making our two weeks at Club Med so much fun!

Broadbeach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

After staying in Club Med Phuket during June/July, I returned home with mixed feelings about my trip. I have stayed at CM's about 7 or 8 times so far, and every time has just been exceptional. However, it has been 2 years since I last stayed in one of their resorts and obviously some big things have changed. This was my first experience staying at Club Med Phuket, previously staying at Club Med Bali.

To begin with, the pool was pretty boring. I understand the need to cater for a growing population of non-swimmers, however to have a 5mx5m swimming section for adults in the general pool its pretty atrocious. But the adults pool was something exceptional.

The bar: Generally, the bar staff were pretty unfriendly and inhospitable. Besides Manu, everyone else didn't seem like they wanted to even pour me a drink. The cocktail list needs a serious rethink, as in the past there have been a lot of exciting drinks to try, however here there was only 1 or 2 that I ever ended up drinking. Also figuring a way to deal with the bees would be great. The shotgun domino effect on Ice Sensation night was fantastic though. Also, teaching the staff behind the bar how to make most general cocktails would be much appreciated.

The activities: If you have a functioning set of legs and arms my biggest suggestion is for you to go down to trapeze and give it a shot. It is the most fun that you can have at Club Med! Led by a phenomenal head, Tiki, and with some of the most outstanding GO's at Club Med on the team, no wonder it is the best activity. People like Kumar, Jack and Emily deserve just the greatest praise. They embodied exactly what a GO should be: fun, energetic, charismatic and all-inclusive. Of all the Club Meds I have been too, these 3, embodied most what a GO should be like. I particularly liked Kumar's Australian chanting.

Unfortunately, with the exception of other GO's such as Ash, Swapnil and Jojo, there was a serious damper on the spirits of the staff which reflected in my holiday. A lot less smiling faces, 'hellos' and requests to sit with us at dinner. It was almost as if a lot of the GOs didnt even want to be there.

In keeping this review short, the GE's in the restaurant were abysmal - DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT. The laundry facilities were a rip off. For an all inclusive holiday, for me to have to spend $20 on tokens just to do 1 and half loads of washing and drying, in old machines, were i supplied the detergent, was just ridiculous. Finally the lack of GM participation in all aspects of the club was pretty disappointing. I'm used to GO's getting us up around the edge of the pool to do crazy signs after water aerobics, but instead the GO's looked complacent with just being the only ones dancing. Same thing occurs each night. A simple run through the crowd to get everyone up dancing would increase the general buzz of the resort 10 fold. It is that all inclusive feeling which gives Club Med its special edge. On that as well, no GM shows (other than kids clubs) was not a good thing either. I like participating and some of my fondest memories are doing things in previous shows. Bring back the GM circus show and other GM comedy shows. COMPLACENCY of GMs is not an excuse, they should all get up their and dance, and it is the job of the GO to get us there.

Also, the lack of night club on premises was pretty upsetting, particularly with a fully functioning Karaoke room which used to be the night club.

Other than that the Circus Show for Ice Sensation was the best one I had ever seen.

All in all great fun, with a few minor speed bumps along the way. I left feeling a little short changed, but only because I have been to so many Club Meds previously.

2 Thank Bond-Aussie1
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our fourth club med. I felt that the exercise classes offered were limited. Though Ash was a very good instructor. The gym is in need of a new treadmill. They only have one each of the cardio equipment. Zen pool was nice. Restaurant choices were repeat dishes and usually had left over lunch dishes on offer at dinner. We saw a cat in the main restaurant one night after leaving the bar at midnight. The rooms are tired and the beds need to be changed they are very hard. Our family of four caught some form of stomach bug whilst there. The GOs were all very nice and helpful. Kenny was great in keeping the party atmosphere happening with the shows and then at the bar area. Circus team were all very talented. The chef de village Phillipe should be a more visible and interact with other GMs not just a handful. Abu from the bar always made sure we were looked after - thanks Abu! Location of the resort is quite good. Overall a good experience but would not go back to Club Med Phuket again.

2 Thank busybee0607