“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Club Med Phuket

Club Med Phuket
Ranked #22 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My family and I recently stayed at Club Med Phuket about a week ago. I can honedtly say that it was an unforgettable experience. This is largely due to the staff members. Its such a relaxing getaway worth every penny.

Food is served all day from about 7-12 and the drinks keep coming for free from the bar from after breakfast at 9:00 till about 2:00 the next morning.

I would actually like to really commend the barman named Abu. He made it quite an amazing experience and went out of his way to make us feel at home. The entire bar team as well as restaurant team were friendly, very helpful and altogether quite extraordinary. In fact the entire G.O team was...

I would definitely love to go back. In fact my one week at Club Med Phuket was an absolute paradise.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Club Med Phuket

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The place is large and clearly there are too many people for the facilities. There are no spare seats around the pool and the deck chairs are two deep all around the main pool. It is over-priced: we came from a five star hotel in Phuket and when you added the food and drink, the two were very similarly priced.

But, the good things
1. They appear to run a very good Kids Club
2. The food is incredibly fantastic. Lots of dishes and a large portion of the dishes change daily. If it wasn’t for the fantastic food I would be rating Club Med lower.

But for us, the bad outweigh the good.
The rooms were disappointing (not like the brochures). The bathroom was rotting in places and clearly needed a refit. We had paid for an upgraded room so I would be fearful to be in a standard room. The first night we were in a room which people had previously been smoking heavily in. We changed rooms after the first night and the second room the air-conditioning hardly worked at all. We got maintenance to check it but as there was cold air coming out of it (just), they did nothing. We woke up most nights sweating.

The place is very impersonal and the staff (GO’s) were poor. A couple of years ago I went to Club Med Bintan so I assumed it was going to be like that. It was rare for a staff member (GO) to say anything to us all day. I went on the morning walk a couple of times and both times the GO (staff member) gravitated towards the young females. The first time he spoke to me was at the end of the walk (when he thanked me for coming). Twice I went to events called off by light rain but there were no staff there to say it had been cancelled. It was five days before a GO came up and spoke to us (tall Aussie male who takes snorkelling).
In Club Med Bintan you were greeted on entering the dining room and often you would often eat with another guest or staff member. At Phuket when you enter the food area and dinning area’s no one will greet or speak to you. Most meals you are left with the task of finding a seat. Although drinks are provided free you need to ask the over-worked waitresses for wine. Not once in six days were we offered another glass of wine.
The chairs in at least two of the dining rooms are covered in food stains. There is also a 10 cm band of dirt around the top of the chairs where dirty hands have lifted out the chairs from the table. The dining rooms are closer to cafeterias rather than 4 star restaurants. Three of our group of four got sick (one badly) during the stay.
The bar area service is slow. It wasn’t unusual for me to queue up for 10 minutes to get a coffee (but the coffee is excellent!). I gave up going to the bar to get even a coke as the wait was unbearable most times. I would rather pay and get good service.

Next time we will stay at a five star resort in Phuket that has a volleyball game for guests each day.

3  Thank guynz
ClubMedAP, General Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hi guynz,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in Club Med Phuket. I am glad to read you enjoyed the Kids Club and the variety of food offer in the restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that the holiday did not meet your expectations especially regarding your first few days where my team of 80 G.O’s is available to direct our new guests and get familiarized with the Resort.

I've also taken note of your feedback on the conditions of the rooms and cleanliness of the restaurant. This will be addressed with the housekeeping and restaurant Managers for appropriate actions.

I thank you once again and rest assured that all feedback is reviewed with Management team here in Phuket.

Kind Regards,
Chef de Village / General Manager - Club Med Phuket

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from 13 days at Club Med phuket with my family of 9. The rooms and restaurant weren't quite as good as some of the other resorts we have been to but the G.O team here were by far the best we've met at any Club Med and made it a holiday i will definitely remember! Our whole family did Ash's classes nearly everyday and they were all really good and helped you feel better about the three buffet meals everyday. The snorkelling trip out to coral bay with Danny is a must do for every guest as well as archery with lynn and the trapeze with the circus team. Dad was also very impressed with dylan the golf instructor who worked with him on his chipping over the two weeks. Not only did all the sports team keep us busy during the day the shows put on at night were all amazing and the G.O's always kept going at the bar. To Ash, Dylan, Kumar, Danny, Lynn, Sasha and Wakana thankyou for all your hard work and making our two weeks at Club Med so much fun!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

After staying in Club Med Phuket during June/July, I returned home with mixed feelings about my trip. I have stayed at CM's about 7 or 8 times so far, and every time has just been exceptional. However, it has been 2 years since I last stayed in one of their resorts and obviously some big things have changed. This was my first experience staying at Club Med Phuket, previously staying at Club Med Bali.

To begin with, the pool was pretty boring. I understand the need to cater for a growing population of non-swimmers, however to have a 5mx5m swimming section for adults in the general pool its pretty atrocious. But the adults pool was something exceptional.

The bar: Generally, the bar staff were pretty unfriendly and inhospitable. Besides Manu, everyone else didn't seem like they wanted to even pour me a drink. The cocktail list needs a serious rethink, as in the past there have been a lot of exciting drinks to try, however here there was only 1 or 2 that I ever ended up drinking. Also figuring a way to deal with the bees would be great. The shotgun domino effect on Ice Sensation night was fantastic though. Also, teaching the staff behind the bar how to make most general cocktails would be much appreciated.

The activities: If you have a functioning set of legs and arms my biggest suggestion is for you to go down to trapeze and give it a shot. It is the most fun that you can have at Club Med! Led by a phenomenal head, Tiki, and with some of the most outstanding GO's at Club Med on the team, no wonder it is the best activity. People like Kumar, Jack and Emily deserve just the greatest praise. They embodied exactly what a GO should be: fun, energetic, charismatic and all-inclusive. Of all the Club Meds I have been too, these 3, embodied most what a GO should be like. I particularly liked Kumar's Australian chanting.

Unfortunately, with the exception of other GO's such as Ash, Swapnil and Jojo, there was a serious damper on the spirits of the staff which reflected in my holiday. A lot less smiling faces, 'hellos' and requests to sit with us at dinner. It was almost as if a lot of the GOs didnt even want to be there.

In keeping this review short, the GE's in the restaurant were abysmal - DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT. The laundry facilities were a rip off. For an all inclusive holiday, for me to have to spend $20 on tokens just to do 1 and half loads of washing and drying, in old machines, were i supplied the detergent, was just ridiculous. Finally the lack of GM participation in all aspects of the club was pretty disappointing. I'm used to GO's getting us up around the edge of the pool to do crazy signs after water aerobics, but instead the GO's looked complacent with just being the only ones dancing. Same thing occurs each night. A simple run through the crowd to get everyone up dancing would increase the general buzz of the resort 10 fold. It is that all inclusive feeling which gives Club Med its special edge. On that as well, no GM shows (other than kids clubs) was not a good thing either. I like participating and some of my fondest memories are doing things in previous shows. Bring back the GM circus show and other GM comedy shows. COMPLACENCY of GMs is not an excuse, they should all get up their and dance, and it is the job of the GO to get us there.

Also, the lack of night club on premises was pretty upsetting, particularly with a fully functioning Karaoke room which used to be the night club.

Other than that the Circus Show for Ice Sensation was the best one I had ever seen.

All in all great fun, with a few minor speed bumps along the way. I left feeling a little short changed, but only because I have been to so many Club Meds previously.

2  Thank Bond-Aussie1
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our fourth club med. I felt that the exercise classes offered were limited. Though Ash was a very good instructor. The gym is in need of a new treadmill. They only have one each of the cardio equipment. Zen pool was nice. Restaurant choices were repeat dishes and usually had left over lunch dishes on offer at dinner. We saw a cat in the main restaurant one night after leaving the bar at midnight. The rooms are tired and the beds need to be changed they are very hard. Our family of four caught some form of stomach bug whilst there. The GOs were all very nice and helpful. Kenny was great in keeping the party atmosphere happening with the shows and then at the bar area. Circus team were all very talented. The chef de village Phillipe should be a more visible and interact with other GMs not just a handful. Abu from the bar always made sure we were looked after - thanks Abu! Location of the resort is quite good. Overall a good experience but would not go back to Club Med Phuket again.

2  Thank busybee0607
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Too many children. The main pool is not modern just square and exposed and very loud to lie around. The adults only pool has no shade and is so tiny that we only went once. We went to Club Med to sit with others at meals and make friends but unlike previous experiences we were not invited on arrival to sit with anyone else and not of the GM's sat with us or even talked to us until the second to last day. The food was very special and not like regular buffets. We had a vegetarian in our group who was thrilled with the never ending changing dishes. The wasps around the soft drinks is very off putting as are the birds in the open ended restaurant. We all got sick and I wonder if it was from eating in this area. Rooms are very tired and dirty and our air conditioning didn't work well so it was hard to sleep. My mattress folded in half when I lay on it so they definitely need to replace the mattresses. Everyone else in our part said there mattress was so hard and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning works well as we had to change rooms because the first one was so smo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travel766
ClubMedAP, General Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear travel766,

Thank you for your review and for recently visiting Club Med Phuket.

I would like to start by mentioning that Club Med does cater for families but also for couples and groups of friends. Of course, during peak school holidays, you will have mostly families in our Resorts. Club Med has made many enhancements in recent years to cater for couples and friends in adding Zen Pools (new concept) in some of our Resorts (Phuket, Cherating Beach, Albion, Bali and now, Guilin). In Phuket, we have numerous lounges / day beds and all chairs do have an umbrella. Feedback has been very positive and guests find it relaxing but I take your feedback on board for more umbrellas in future.

We also make sure that we create various ambiance each night with our shows and night dancing around the main bar. Hopefully, you had a chance to enjoy it too. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your sleeping quality at this time and will review your feedback with our housekeeping Manager. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our Restaurants and variety of dishes on offer.

Kind Regards,
Chef de Village / General Manager - Club Med Phuket

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We just got back from 8 nights at Club Med Phuket and having been overseas 7x with the kids (now 10 & 13) in the last 5 years, this was the most fun holiday of all according to them.
It is 1 hr from the airport by which we were met by a driver and a very nicely air conditioned transfer to the resort.
My son (13) was apprehensive the first day to join teens club until I spotted the 8 girls and 2 boys. When I told him this, he was off like a rocket. From then on, we only saw him for breakfast, evening showers and bedtime. Mellissa the teens supervisor was exemplary. She was great fun with the kids but also respectful and kind. My 10 yr old was in and out of kids club depending on what activity was on. We had a weekly schedule advising. Having said that, she loves swimming so was more keen to be in the water that in kids club. She did have a great time whilst there though. The kids club night time pool party, the slip and slide (even the teens couldn't help themselves but to join in), the trapeze & bunjey jumping programme, the wonderful and playful nature of these GO's made it all worthwhile and fun. The kids also met and made so many new friends from around the world. Having the kids/teens club meant hubby and I were able to have "us" time by the zen pool at the end of the resort which was superb. No kids and peaceful.
Food at club med was wide and varied. From the different salads, variety of hot foods, breads, pastries, gorgeous fruit varieties and even ice cream cones was huge. There was something for everyone. There was also the a la carte Chuda Restaurant if you wanted table service as opposed to buffet. This restaurant was located at the end of the resort, near the Zen pool and beautifully decorated too. Service was superb. There was a traditional Thai menu and a more westernised one and you were able to interchange dishes from one menu to the other. You must book this 24-48 hrs prior to ensure a reservation. I must admit, we were tired of the buffet by day 6 but only because we didn't feel like getting in and out of our seats all the time for food.
Some of the chefs are not necessarily a happy lot but those clearing the tables were extremely slow and didn't always do a great job here. That is our one complaint. That is, the staff who set and clear the tables. We did notice on one evening that the service here moved up about 10 notches and upon looking around us, there was some of the management team having dinner nearby. No wonder! There are several different "dining rooms" to sit at to eat your meals. 1 is specifically set up for the kids and the others for everyone else. Only 2 of these others seemed renovated and were quite pleasant. The outdoor one was ok and very casual but the one over the pool stank and the chairs were quite stained and dirty. The GO's do dine with the guests at the resort which I think is also wonderful. They also wish you a wonderful dinner as you simply pass them in the dining hall. And they are genuine too.
As per the previous writer, we all also suffered from gastro but according to Phuket hospital, there were a lot of reported cases of this. It is also monsoon season, so with a couple of days of torrential rain, and humid weather, this would not have helped. We had interconnecting rooms with our kids. They were large and spacious and very clean. Beds were quite firm but I didn't mind this. The $12 massages on the beach were welcoming though. The decor was ok but then again the only time spent in our rooms was at night for sleeping and first thing in the morning. The resort is not known for its 5 star accommodation but honestly, how much time do you spend in your room. We were located in F block which was a little hike but we took it in our stride and just enjoyed it. There was a washing/drying room nearby. A bit pricey at the equivalent of about $4 per wash or per dry. The washing machine is a top loader so be sure to take your washing powder otherwise buy it from the 7 Eleven across the road. U can also have your laundry done very cheaply if you are brave enough by the locals outside the resort.
It is a very large resort, secured by high walls and security at the gates so you feel safe letting your kids wonder around. It is also very lush. Take insect repellent if you are a mosquito magnet. Insect spray, shampoo. conditioner, body moisturiser, soap, towels and pool towels are all provided for.
Cocktails at the bar are very watered down so don't even bother. If you are a bit of a coffee snob, exit the resort, turn left and walk up the road for half a km to Starbucks - and that's saying something. The kids had their own little steps up to the bar with their own mocktail list including Baby Monkey,Transformers, Hello Kitty and others. Very cute - I think.
The night time entertainment provided by the GO's was something else. Every night there was something different going on. There is a professional stage set up and proper costumes made up by one of the extremely talented GO team members. Can't remember his name. Even the kids put on a concert one night and they even had their own costumes. It was so incredibly well done. I was so proud. Of course the highlight of the week was the pool party that everyone was invited to at 10pm one night. There was music, pool games, water balloons, a pool bar, and a bbq happening on the side. It was awesome. And I must add, there were lifeguards around the pool day and night. Sadly, I had to drag my kids away just after midnight. This is a MUST DO every week. Activities, including yoga, water aerobics, trapeze, water basketball to name but a few are scheduled every day for every age group so you can do as much or as little as you want.
Tours booked at the resort were double the price than those booked at the tour desk across the road from the resort. However, you will have to meet your tours across the road from the resort or somewhere outside of the resort because of the tour & taxi "mafia" that goes on. We were advised of this by club med and the outside tour operators.
The beach is across the road (2 lanes) from the resort where there is a pedestrian crossing always supervised and your are escorted by security. Club Med have their own beach chairs and umbrellas down here and a water cooler for those who would like water. It is a public beach so don't expect service as such. Do be warned, you will be approached many times by the locals who try to sell their wares. It's all part of the fun.
The beach is lovely but there are no lifeguards. The water was warm when we were there.
There were many Aussies at our resort and a word of advice if you are of the racist kind, as we unfortunately witnessed by 3 generations of one Sydney family, then don't go. This is a multi-national resort where there are visitors from all over the world AND we are all human beings and therefore all deserve respect no matter what race or religion.
I don't know how these GO's who work so damn hard during the day, continue at night and again the next day. ALL of the GO's here are worth their weight in gold. Mellissa, Kumar, Rio, Jack, Ash, JP, Flo, Tikky, I wish I could remember them all but CONGRATULATIONS to all. Always smiling, welcoming, friendly, nothing is a problem. They make the holiday so much fun, yet so relaxing for the whole family.
After this much fun, we are considering club med Bali next year so hopefully it will be just as much fun and something else to write about.

3  Thank holidaybabe69