“Nice family stay at Xmas ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Phuket

Club Med Phuket
Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Karon
“Nice family stay at Xmas ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had just spent a week in the ClubMed Phuket with my family. I recommend the spot as the key advantage of the Club is the way everybody in the family can enjoy several activities during the day ( kids at kid club, parents practicing several sports or just chilling out) and still meet at numerous time . It has been a nice break especially during Xmas time when the all staff has put together a very nice Xmas eve and Xmas day. Good energy overall, very very nice weather (check as it can be rainy during the summer in Thailand I think) We will go back.

Room Tip: If you are with small childre you might want to be a little If you are with Family you can ask for...
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
HK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We began our trip with a suicidal driver who nearly killed us from airport to hotel. I had to scream at him several times in order for him to drive safely. He scared me and my 3 kids with wreckless driving while club med's traffic manager rode shotgun in silence. He was probably crapping in his pants. We recorded the incident on youtube "clubmed horror drive" and got an apology with a basket of junk food from the bus company.

The ground floor deluxe room was dated and rotting, our toilet perpetually smelled of you know what. You can not even touch the walls of the shower, it's that yellow. I'm certain there are bed bugs from all night itching but somehow escaped with no bite marks.

We complained of the room condition and was upgraded to the 2nd floor same class rooms. Only difference was the hardwood flooring, less rotting and fewer critters.

Overall, the resort is in fast decay mode, even with the renovated public areas it still feels old and dirty. What this place needs is a hygiene manager, especially since the resort hosts mostly young children.

Best feature of the resort is the kids club. That's why you must be prepared to compromise your standards, love of good food and cleanliness. On the other hand, if your kids don't like to be dropped off and insists on hanging with you all day, then you're screwed.

The GOs did an excellent job of lined up entertainments on NYE and no doubt every day of the week.

Room Tip: Reception will insist there are no renovated rooms but infact the standard rooms are renovated, the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank msun4
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Been on two Asian Club Med hols previously at Cherating 2009 and Bintan 2010 and whilst the Phuket resort is not as secluded or pretty as the Malaysian and Indonesian resorts it is on a fantastic beach in lush tropical landscaping and pleasant enough.

As always food choice was good. Lots of Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Western (read French) options.

Kids didn't get involved in the show this time round but they are getting older so fair enough.

Archery and beach soccer excellent. Pitch and putt golf good, greens and clubs a bit ropey but great being able to rock up for a quick 9 holes whenever it takes your fancy.

Not the same 'wow factor' from our first two Club Med trips but guess that's only to be expected as the novelty wears off.

Still a good 4 out of 5 rating

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have been club med a few times but this is a real disappointed one. The services in the restuarant are bad, especially the ice cream section which should have the friendly Staff as most kids will visit the section, the staff there has long black face everytime we saw her. there was no welcome nor goodbye like in bintan. The variety of the food are limited. The worst thing is my room is full of mosquitoes which uncountable and the shampoo and the shower gels are not topped up correctly. Bintan clubmed wins every single things compare to phuket. I will not visit clubmed phuket again.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Ahchengmok
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Spend 5 days there..it was a ball of a time for my kids with the mini club. The place as usual is filled with sun, sand and sea. The food at the main buffet is tantalising but the new chu da restaurant needs more work..food is not as great there. I read about previous cases of food poisoning but was not affected by it, though my family was hit when we were in Cherating. Though I must say that the service staff can smile more...and not be so rude,

Room Tip: Stay nearer to the pool if you want to be closer to the action. We stayed at chalet A which is the e...
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at Club Med in October 2012 for 10 days. It was supposed to be longer but our Flight Center travel agent told us that Club Med and told him we could not be accommodated and we would have to stay longer at the resort we first stayed for a $200 refund. However that same agent would not refund us the $150 I accidently paid extra and then insisted was an extra charge for transport to the airport which he said was $70. Won't be booking with that jerk again! We're heading to Bali next week and Europe in May, huge mistake to stitch us up!
I went to Phuket with my daughter, her husband and two grandchildren aged 2 and 5 years. We last visited when my daughter was only 5 years old so over 25 years ago. Firstly, the accommodation was a bit of a walk but nothing daunting as the grounds are amazingly beautiful and very well tended. We had adjoining rooms which were basic, clean and well maintained by housekeeping staff. The beds were not comfortable and the littlest one's bed was a rusty fold up which we had to push against the wall as she rolled off and stuck between the beds on her first night.
The G.Os were great. They were so kind and patient with our children. Axel was great and really there was no one we could fault. They work very hard under difficult circumstances and I felt exhausted for them. The food was excellent and a huge variety was available at every meal. If I have any criticism it would be that there needs to be a bit more supervision by guests of their children. Some people have no idea how to conduct themselves at a buffet. I did observe adults eating directly from the display. People you would have thought would know better. Some servers did try and rein in badly behaved children to no avail. I did observe one child projectile vomiting but I think that might have had something to do with the quantity and choice of food. We are more firm about what our children eat and ensure a balanced intake rather than whatever they would choose.
Four of us drank non liquor drinks and they were a little disappointing. There were no milkshakes only flavoured milk and the smoothies were just syrup. Juices were not freshly squeezed. We're not really into sugary drinks.
It's a shame really as there are so many amazing fruits available in Thailand. I am a retired restaurateur so food safety, hygiene and quality bar offerings figure very highly on my list of expectations at all times. One of the children developed a rash and the Club Med nurse advised us to go to the International hospital. This was diagnosed quickly and the appropriate medication administered effectively. Neither of the children spent much time at the Kids Clubs, however the staff were terrific with all the children. Our children still participated in the shows and gained confidence. They loved Club Med so much that they were starting to call it 'home' and wanted to return after we left and had gone to Singapore. I am sure we will be returning to a Club Med somewhere in the world for a future holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I always struggle when looking at Trip Advisor, with usually a whole lot of 4-5 star reviews and then some smattering of 0-1 star reviews. In this last trip, we ignored those 1 star reviews since it really can't be that bad, could it? Bad move. Club Med Phuket is that terrible. If I can convince at least one of you of this, then my writing was worth it.

Let's start with FOOD POISONING. My daughter projectile vomited and got diarrhea 2 days after arriving and was wiped out for the rest of our vacation. Goodbye to our happy holiday we'd been looking forward to so for long. We were not the only ones sick while there; we saw one kid throw up by the stage, and another came to see the nurse after we did. My wife spoke to the Thai cleaning staff, who are outside the official Club Med propaganda machine, and they admitted there were many kids at the resort with food poisoning. My wife also had stomach cramps after one meal, a different time from when my daughter sick... We are VEGETARIAN, and we live in Thailand and that my wife, who is Thai, can't even remember the last time she had a stomach ache. My daughter has rarely thrown up in the past and only when she was a baby. We are not the ones who should be getting food poisoning in Phuket. Meat and seafood eaters from Europe, the Americas or north Asia who have never been exposed to southeast Asian bugs -- good luck. [I'd also suggest looking at the other 1 star reviews here, with one family complaining of salmonella]

DISGUSTING ROOMS: the black stuff on the shower wall, no it's not some new super-duper form of black grout -- disgusting (picture). Under the bed -- disgusting; the curtains -- disgusting (picture). The bed, with its springs poking out here and poking out there was probably from Soviet times and might well have been manufactured back in the USSR, perhaps brought here to make all the Russians running around nostalgic. Oh, and it was disgusting (picture). The power also went off several times while we were there, helpfully when my daughter was in bed in the middle of the day gravely sick.

RUDE STAFF: I won't go into the many hour ordeal of trying to get a refund and get out of this nightmarish hell, just to say that dealing with a complacent mid-level civil servant in the entrenched bureaucracy of a French province would probably have been more satisfying and productive. Rude, uncaring, uncooperative, shifting of blame to us, etc. etc. This was probably the most shocking of all. Any hotel that charges as much as Club Med in Asia would have handled the situation with some compassion and courtesy. Club Med did not. This is a service business and Club Med just doesn't get it.

I really have no idea how there are so many 4-5 stars posted here. If the free flow of (very cheap) wine and beer and the getting jolly with a bunch of GOs with manufactured perkiness and an exaggerated sense of self-importance is that essential to you that you're willing to sacrifice your health and sanity... then I don't know what to say. For the rest of you, Thailand and southeast Asia have a wealth of great hotels with fantastic service, and which are much much less expensive. We did get a refund of the unused days, but only 50% and after several long weeks of argument. You really need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
24 Thank markmcginnis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Boathouse by Montara
4.0 of 5 stars 733 reviews
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Club Med Phuket? Share your experiences!