“What an experience!”

Club Med Phuket
Ranked #23 of 133 Hotels in Karon
“What an experience!”
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This was the first club med experience, actually this was the first oversea trip with the kids. My wife and I have two young children a 4 year old girl & a 22 month old boy who loves to run!!!! We are from Sydney and first impressions of Thailand was wet as it poured for the first 3 days. Lucky club med is huge! So there was lots to do when raining. The GO's were some of the most amazing people I have ever met, a big thank you to Martin, Minerva, Karen, Peggy, Nita & Dina for making my kids beg me everyday to go back to thailand!. I think they prefer the kids club than us. :). Also than you to Banjob for being a fantastic babysitter as for the resort yes it's true its a bit worn but at night it looks amazing. You really need to look past the wear and tear and appreciate the experiance that club med if delivering in this resort. We r young parents and club meds kids club allowed us to really enjoy our holiday both as a family but also as a married couple with no kids and do fun couple things. We home now and refreshed from an amazing holiday. Thanks Club Med! :) I would highly recommend this resort to any family that likes to have fun. If you are picky negative wingie person than don't come because you will ruin it for all the fun outgoing positive poeple who won't and holiday here.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2011

After booking and paying in full for a holiday at Club Med 6 months in advance, 2 months prior to departure Club Med took a group booking and kicked us out. Club Med Rep explained that this is accepted practice throughout the hotel industry worldwide. Lied and told us resort was closed. No assistance to find an alternative. No email or phone numbers work to help when a problem.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
16 Thank milesfamily12
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Overall we had a good time at Club Med, but the resort really needs a renovation. The pool and the rooms are 3 star at best. Mould in bathrooms etc. We have stayed at 3 other resorts in Phuket before and Club Med is not competitive (others Laguna Beach, JW Marriott Resort, Indigo Pearl).

The kids activities are good and the GO's are great with the kids. The food was above expectations with good quality and variation. Drinks are pretty horrible - stay with the beer and wine.

We would not go again as other and better hotels offer good kids programs and that is really the only reason why you would want to come to Club Med Phuket.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sbhongkong
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 23, 2011

This was our third visit to Club Med Phuket and just like the previous two trips, the entire family had a great time and returned home rested, refreshed and desperately wishing for another day in Phuket! Our family included two seniors, three adults and two kids aged 8 and 4. The kids made fast friends with other kids and had a great time alternating between the kids clubs and spending time with the family. One of the beautiful things about club med with kids is that they have many opportunities to challenge themselves with new experiences. On the beautiful beach the adults had a massage every morning from the fabulous ladies in the massage tents just left of the stairs that lead down to the beach. I cannot recommend them enough, and in particular, one lady Ms. Noi Noi. Laying in the shade of the tent with the birds and the waves and getting pro massage at a ridiculously reasonable price (13 USD for over an hour) each morning was awesome. Not to be missed. Food at the club is always good quality/great taste with plenty of choices for both the adults and the kids. One of the best parts about club med is the food....kids can pick and choose what they want when they want it. There is always something to eat at all times during the day. When I think about how much I spend on feeding kids at a typical resort and how much food gets wasted....well, let's just say Club Med is a great deal! There is lots of baby food available as well. In fact on our first trip our youngest was 5 months old! The rooms have aged a bit and could use some renovation work, but to be honest I was in my room only twice a day...once to shower before dinner and once to sleep. That was it! The staff as always were superb: friendly and competent which is just the way you want it. The people working the kids club are truly a special bunch and your kids will have a blast. They are responsible and fun and will take excellent care of your kids. I saw an earlier review mentioning more structure, but our kids had just the right amount: they learned how to do the trapeze, built sand castles, played golf, made cookies, performed in a dance show in front of the entire club, made new friends from around the world, played in the surf, made masks and bracelets, as well as heaps of other stuff. My kids were crying the day we left. As we were waiting for our things to be loaded into the van to leave for the airport, the entire kids club came running out to say goodbye to them and give us a great send-off....my kids were touched and I was floored at the commitment of the staff. So....if you want a great holiday with the family, with lots of great EXPERIENCES for you and your kids, you just cannot beat Club Med. Enjoy your holiday!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank lizandvk
Sydney
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Even thought my very first experience in Club Med Phuket was not positive I still had a AMAZING holiday in the end.

The hiccups started when the minivan pulled up at the main entrance. Club Med receptionist staff do greet the arriving guest with a cheerful smile, music and some flowers – I got none of that. Being a single traveller sandwiched behind 2 Asian couples I was ignored for a few minutes until the receptionist realized I was a guest. They did made some effort to greet me with all the fanfare but the magic was gone.
Check-in was efficient but not a pleasant experience as I felt ignored. They took my passport .-without telling what for- and even thought they did return it in about 10mins it is not good when one is keen to hold on onto their travel documents. Whilst reception selected my room I was given a very brief and rushed „introduction” to the resort – the Asian couples got a lot longer and friendlier introduction – or at least so it felt to me.
A receptionist (with very little English) guided me to my room and left me to discover it. I was not happy. The room was full with mosquitoes, there was no mosquito screen or spray. I asked for someone to come and spray the room ASAP and about 20mins later a housekeeper showed up and handed me a can of spray. Not saying a word turned around and left me to do the work. I discovered some serious short fallings with the room especially in the bathroom. The fittings were not only old but covered in so much stone I couldn’t get myself to touch it. The light-switch was not properly secured to the wall and I was afraid getting electrocuted (touch the switch with hands you just got out of the sink if you dare) and there was some serious amount of mould in the shower. The shower did not have a door but a very dirty (yellow with dirt) shower curtain. The bed was comfortable but as the room was in the very last block (block B so be careful) I did not feel safe at all – it was a long walk via a barely lit route to the room. I expressed my concerns to management and I was assigned a new room much closer to the centre of the resort the next morning.

This new room was in the same price range and it was perfect. The bathroom was clean and mould free –even with a shower door. There were the few odd mosquitoes but nothing in the numbers as in the other room. Most importantly the bathroom fittings were clean and the light switch solid.

Once I got my new room my stay became perfect! The pool was amazing, the beach magnificent, the food plenty and safe to eat and easy to choose from even if one doesn’t eat meat, or Asian. I always managed to find some European Vegetarian option so it was great. Breakfast and lunch were of amazing choice (no time to eat through the whole menu)and there was a very luxurious selection of fruit and nice bread on offer. Kids loved the free ice-cream. There were beautiful deserts served every evening – they looked like piece of art I actually felt it was a sin to ruin them by eating them...

You can do as much or as little as you wish. No one is forcing you to join activities, it was a very relaxed approach. The G.Os still reach out to you – one of the GO managers walked the beach every morning saying „hi” and having a chit-chat with each and every guest. Most G.Os seems to be enjoying joining guests at dinner so there you would always have a good time.

You can pretty much spend the full day relaxing by the pool and the beach which was about 2min walk from the resort. Yes you have to cross a „road” but it is not busy and there are security guards on standby non-stop to assist you „crossing safely” . The beach is flagged as „no swimming” (who understands?) and is usually flying a yellow (swim at your own risk) flag but it is very calm at this time of the year. No rips, no surf and no fish – the seabed is empty – very safe for kids. However, do stay within the enclosed area in the water if you go beyond that you can get hit by a passing boat or jet-ski. Sunlounges are plenty, clean, very comfortable, and you don’t have to „secure” one.

The Discovery centre might offer programmes on a slightly elevated price compared to vendors outside of the resort but in the resort you got quality. The providers were reliable, they did what they promised and it was safe.
The resort boutique was very nice and fairly priced.
The spa was divine! Again it might be more expensive than the one on the main street in front of the resort but this was in lush tropical garden setting, within the resort, you would not even have to get your shoes on. And they were a Jurlique spa!

My only complaint about the resort could have been that there were no restrictions on smoking. Guest were allowed to smoke anywhere outside – even in the pool and whilst most of the fellow guests were kind enough to check with others if they mind someone smoking there were the one or two unkind ones. Allowing smoking anywhere is very unusual for me coming from a country where smoking is –almost-forbidden everywhere. In Phuket one is even allowed to smoke and drink on the beach! And you could be topless! None of that is allowed on Sydney beaches :)

My favourite provider of the whole Club Med resort must be the Dive Centre! Run by a reputable company (Eurodivers) and Joce the very relaxed and funny (French) dive master I absolutely had an amazingly-fantastic time whilst learning to dive. A course is very well priced and Joce is an excellent teacher (very patient and very attentive). It is small group tuition and if you are lucky you will be the only student which means private tuition! The dive trip was great too and it was an excellent, fun, yet productive way of spending 2 days out of my week long holiday.
The resort also has a daily snorkelling tour as well – and it is free.

Overall staff was very attentative and when for one evening we had electricity cuts 5-6times (I lost counting) they still helped guests (the torch did not work in my room so they brought me a new one) and even thought the cuts very due a reason beyond their control (the resort’s generator did provide backups but it also lost power after the 3rd or 4th cut) they sent out a letter of apology the next afternoon.
Valentine day’s decoration was beautiful but not overwhelming and there were extra chocolates and roses for the ladies.
The Evening Shows were simply breath-takingly amazing - most of the GOs seemed to be trained artists or at least gym champions.

The bar was amazing and the selection was decent and it was all around the clock. The bar staff was very kind and quick to serve the drinks. Non alcoholic mixes were great and there always was soda, juice or smoothies available. There was a very nice relaxing area by the bar and they even had a bookshelf (with mandarin, Japanese and French books in the majority) to help yourself if you were lost for reading material.

I was very unlucky and had to pay 3 visits to the infirmary (once for a very upset stomach and twice for a little accident I had in the resort and it was just not getting better) but being able to receive prompt medical attention in the resort (reasonably priced as well) made me feel very secure.

In short my experience is that „every start is difficult” and Club Med does have a very unique ambiance and offering– it is not just a hotel, stay and eat package – it is about the experience! Embrace it! Day one you might feel a bit frustrated or lost (e.g. how to get a table in the restaurant, where and how to get a towel) but you can figure it out all in a day and then it becomes an amazing absolutely-nothing-to-worry about holiday! Definitely will be holidaying at Club Med again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank SydneyTravelalot
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We chose to stay at Club Med, Phuket, as it seemed that all that the other hotels were offering nothing more than a bed and a swimming pool. The Club Med formula is a great one, most things are paid for upfront, and these days @CM, that includes the bar ( more on that later). Plus, they were running a 50% discount special, which is why we selected this place...I dont think I would be quite as happy if I was paying double. The positive points are the wonderful staff ( 90% are better than excellent, a few not so flash). The food was wonderful, something for everyone, and I am a food snob. The sous chef, Faiz from the Maldives, and Budi his helper ,were total gentlemen, and so professional, they were in the "mess hall" each night to oversee things, and answer questions. There is a bit of slushy/starchy food, such as pasta, chips etc etc, but always plenty of fresh tropical fruit, and cheeses to please the French. Some wonderful Asian dishes, eg Thai salads, curries, excellent sushi, and the queue for the tempura vegies at the Japanese counter speaks volumes ! Yum. Wine is very average, but I knew this, as I had been to Club Med Bali 10 yrs ago. The bar makes yummy cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks too, as well as fab Lavazza coffees, hot chocolate, tea etc. I must say though, I am CERTAIN that the alcohol is watered down....to explain, I had TWO cocktails on the beach one morning ( yes, you are allowed to take them across the road, and then deposit your dirty glass in a box on the beach, cool, huh ?) OK, so after two cocktails, a pina colada and a daquiri , I was not even vaguely light-headed, so I know the alcohol is diluted, of course, staff can not confirm this...but, it is not a bad idea, who wants to see drunk bogans at a family resort ? Beach is pretty, and plenty of chairs, you can grab one in the morning by placing your towel on it. Some hawkers on the beach, but the Thai are gentle, and they understand "no Thanks".
We didnt do any tours, the one to Phi Phi island looks good, though a bit pricey when there are four of you, ( still recovering from being fleeced over $1100 for a pretty ordinary day for four of us to swim with whalesharks at Ningaloo Reef in WA), so I thought, hey, we Australians from coastal places can go to beaches, and snorkel any time. Dont let me turn you off, I probs should have gone. It would have cost us about $500 to see Phi Phi.
The evening entertainment was at times excellent ( Friday night it is the circus people, a beautiful show over the pool , followed by a fab disco outdoors, complete with smoke machine and a table of French cakes etc just in case we are still hungry !!) and other nights a bit basic...all goood fun to dance with GOs and even with my kids, something i would not normally do. Another night they recreated a casino, there was a lot of effort to make the evenings fun.
There was also free daily entertainment provided by five fab French women, staying aat Club Med, such thin bodies,so tanned, parading around in bikinis and high heels on the beach like a Pussycat Doll . I spent hours watching them preen themselves, they could not sit still and read a book like us, and i could just imagine them singing that Pussycat Doll song "Dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me ?" as they strutted on the beach, smoking but never eating. I loved it, as they were well into their 60s, thankyou, ladies.

Negatives....the rooms are clean but in need of renovation, but I had read about this, so it was no surprise, apparently it will happen in April this year. The door that lead to the outside was so old. it would not stay closed, so I had to get staff to fix it, which they did...big gap under the door ( use a towel) allowed a few mosquitoes in, HOWEVER they seem to not bite too much...I was bitten more in the common areas, say, at a show...they will spray the room if you ask. My bed was so lumpy,it made it hard for me to get to sleep at night. The housekeeper was a lovely girl and always did a good job, even the toliet had a nice fragrance in it. Common areas need a bit of maintenance too, eg the floor in the mess hall, watch out, it is a combination of tiles and inlaid timber, and at a few points, where they meet, there are different levels, I nearly went head over turkey, and another time nearly fell on some spilt food.
Front desk staff vary a lot...but now I know that one part of Thai culture is that even if you dont know the answer, you dont let on, so, you will find people giving odd directions.One or two were standouts, especially the pretty one with the liquid eyeliner, a real honey, helped us with places to shop. Another time I saw people reading photocopies of newspapers and asked how I could get one, and was given a very odd response.
The sports are tennis, squash, archery and golf, as well as a gym..not a very good orientation to all of the facilities, so I did not know about the gym til the end, and people staying away from the golf course had no idea where it was, or that there were squash courts on site ! The map that you are given is miniscule, you cant see ANYTHING on it ggggrrr The tennis courts are plentiful, but have terrible surfaces, a real shame, as that is one reason we chose CM.
Gardens are so beautiful, and the golf course is pretty.
Teenagers had fun, but a bit more structure would be good....they have their own room, and there are three computers.. you guessed, yup, they were often on Facebook., I thought we were having a break from all of that ! The teens often sat around playing cards, and once escaped out to shops to buy pirated DVDs. At night they sat in the hot, disused disco until all hours ! Kids enjoyed ordering drinks ( no alcohol) at the bar. Something structured like a cooking lesson, or a trip to the beach, or a Thai language lesson from one of the Thai tourism students, say, the very spunky Patti, or handsome Pep-si (love the names) would have been good. Yes, a bit more structure would be fab.
All in all a fun place. Dont go if you dont like talking to new people, or if you dont like the occasional scent of a cigar ( a lot of French people smoke cigars at night) . Do go if you can get the discounted price and if you like a bit of sport, or want your kids to make new friends. I belive that Club Med Bali has been beautifully restored, and I also think Bali is a prettier island, with stunning hills, rice paddies , more culture, lakes and volcanoes to see, etc...better shopping in Bali too, but, January is Balinese wet season, so Thailand a better choice for January. Happy holidays.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Lou655
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We have travelled to many places with our kids and Club Med Phuket is a favourite. I felt I had to share our experience with Tripadvisor readers as it can be hard to know where to take a young family. We have three kids (11,8 and 1) and just returned from a 10 night stay. If it is a lively, fun, active holiday that you want then Club Med Phuket is for you. There is so much to see and do. We struggled to find our eldest kids as they were busy all the time: swimming in the pool, building sand castles on the stunning calm beach, playing tennis, soccer, golf, feeding fish on snorkelling trips, exploring the resort with complete freedom, etc...

The staff were so friendly and warm they create an amazing relaxed atmosphere and it took only a couple of days to feel that the resort became our home away from home. We hired babysitters for our baby who were all lovely ladies with years of experience. They were able to help me by pushing the baby in her pram while she slept and by playing with her when she was awake.

We were allocated ground floor delux rooms in block M which were totally adequate without being luxurious. The only criticism I have of the rooms was that there are millions of mosquitos that enjoyed munching on my baby daughter and when I asked at the front desk what they suggested I do to stop this, they offered to spray the room which they took 24 hours to do. In the meantime my daughter collected a few more mosquito bites! I would suggest that the club offer mosquito nets fitted to cover the cots they provide as most of the mosquitos seemed to bite at night while my daughter was asleep.Otherwise, the bathrooms are a little tired, especially the showers which are in need of an upgrade. The only other problem I would mention regarding our room was that on certain afternoons the Kids Club offered entertainment right outside our rooms in the afternoons. This was extraordinarily noisy and disturbed the pleasure of a siesta. I would suggest that these activities take place in another location so as not to disturb guests.

The food was good (though if you are looking for a gourmet experience this is not the place for you). What you get is healthy and plentiful buffets three times a day. There is a Japanese, Thai, French and American section so there is masses of choice. One thing we loved was the free bar at the main pool where we worked our way through endless watermelon juices and icy cold drinks for the kids. It was a pleasure not having to think of how much things cost and worry every time one of our kids left half their meal uneaten.

The shows that are on every night are a mixed bag but still create a lively and convivial atmosphere and if you have kids who will join in the shows, then this is a highlight of their holiday. Ours didn't, but loved staying up late to watch the shows.

The club is well located for exploring local shops and we took our kids on an elephant trek at a great place called Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari. This is a great easy outing from Kata as it takes only 10 minutes to get there. The elephants appear well treated and we thoroughly enjoyed the outing, especially feeding the elephants bananas at the end of the ride.

In summary, if it's a warm, fun, easy family holiday you are looking for than this is the place for you. It is NOT the place for romantic holidays or for people looking for a sophisticated relaxing retreat. This is a lively/noisy, dynamic place for sun, sea and beautiful soft sand and a heaven for young kids. I'm sure well be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank annapas
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Phuket Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your family had good time there and you enjoyed our staff commitment, the Resort location and the way your children have been welcomed in the Baby and Mini Clubs.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our resorts.

Best regards,