“Ticks all boxes”

Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is our second year staying at this resort. Karon Sea Sands is the ultimate if you are planning to visit Phuket. In bullet point, here are SOME reasons why......

...Location, Location. Situated across the road from a fantastically clean beach. Karon is located between bustling Patong and Kata.

....Pool Access Rooms. Jumping into the sparkling and intimate swimming pool from your balcony is convenience at its best. AND there is a great pool bar serving cocktails all day. The size of the rooms are huge!! I have done the rounds of other resorts in both Patong and Karon, and you will be hard pressed to find anything to compare with the spaciousness. The bathroom actually has a bath and separate shower as well!! Rooms are tastefully decorated with just the right amount of Thai influence. And the beds??? Think king size and add another 15%!!! They are reasonably firm, but still comfortable. And the pillows are fluffy!!

...Breakfast. Very good variety. The dishes change most mornings. They have an egg bay where you can have eggs cooked in front of you, any way you would like them. My favourite is the omelette with the lot!!

...Staff and general feel. Both years we have stayed, the staff have been very friendly and helpful. They seem happy, which is a good indication that they enjoy working in their environment.

...Owner/Managing Director. Each Friday night Jaspal hosts a cocktail party for ALL guests. There is a band that plays music in the background, as well as delicious finger food and any drinks that you would like (including cocktails). Jaspal is an extremely hands on owner and is genuinely interested in critiques of the resort. He goes out of his way to talk to EVERY person who is at the cocktail party.

Conclusion...I am the type of person who analyses most things that come my way (a hazard of my occupation). I have high standards and expectations. Karon Sea Sands Resort is "the total package". It ticks every box that you could come up with. However, I WOULD say that if you are a family with children under 12, you may like to consider a resort that has more "child friendly" water slides etc. It is day 3 for us this time around. Today is Songkran, the Buddhist festival marking the Thai New Year. It is a massive water festival which we are looking forward to celebrating.

David Bye
Loxton, Australia

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Byesy

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good location away from noise but near enough for beach activities and nearby town e cel lent staff, nothing is too much trouble! 15minutes walk to beach and nearby town, shuttle bus available from 10.30 from hotel to beach and collect at 3.30 daily. Excellent choices of food and clean pools.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sue K
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed 21 - 27th March 2013; and we paid a bit extra for a pool access room (104). From time we set foot in the lobby, it was obvious this was a great hotel, one of the best we have ever stayed in (for the price). Check in - efficient, welcoming; no feeling that people were hanging around for a tip to deliver baggage. Well designed bathroom, with shower NOT over the bath, and no water escaping onto the floor from either shower or bath (completely the opposite to the Horizon Karon, where we stayed last October!!). I know some reviews say this resort has a small pool - we thought it was quite large and again, clean clean clean. Breakfast - standard fare; and interestingly one morning the resort manager was at breakfast mingling with the guests asking them for constructive criticism etc, and where they felt the hotel could improve. He didnt speak to us, but we were very impressed that he got out in the field to ASK people. We ate twice at the hotel at night - Curry night - fantastic!!! and Thai night - loved it!!. At 449 baht each for the former and 490 baht each for the latter, not especially cheap, but reasonably priced for a hotel meal - and the food was superb. The bed was firm, but comfortable. I am a fairly tough critic, but both of us thought this was a great hotel, well maintained (which appears rare in Asia), with friendly, efficient staff - and food to die for. Nice little gym, not huge but adequate, location central to Karon shops/restaurants, not forgetting the glorious beach over the road. Would we stay again - yes, without a doubt; we absolutely intend to.

Room Tip: We paid about 300 baht extra to upgrade from a deluxe to a deluxe pool access room for a week, and w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank womblewa
Jaspal_Singh_03, Owner at Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Womblewa.
Thank you for your kind comments and for staying with us. We do hope to see you again! Please, any issues, let us know at your earliest convenience.

Warm regards,
Jaspal Singh (Owner)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I travelled to Phuket with my friends and stayed at Karon Sea sands Resort & Spa Hotel for 2 nights. We really enjoyed a lot. It was really an amazing experience. The rooms were very beautifull and the pool was big enough. The beach view was amazing. We really had fun. The staff was nice and service was very good. I am again planning to visit it again very shortly.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and beautifull.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CoolPraveen
Seemant-Raju, Owner at Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Hello CoolPraveen!

Thank you for your kind review. Our staff has been told of it and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
Jaspal (Owner)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Nicely tucked away from road noise ,, Welcoming, clean, spacious and just what is needed after a days adventuring, sightseeing, shopping etc. The rooms were huge in comparison to so many others we've stayed in .. really comfortable beds and good sized bathrooms .. the deck off our room overlooking the pool was enjoyed as was the air con .. Enjoyable hours spent around and in the smallish but well kept pool .. and a few cocktails shared on the stools at the pool bar ..An abundance of tempting & tasty choices of food to start our days and we did enjoy an evening meal in the restaurant with good entertainment .. the staff were always friendly and helpful and some really nice little touches from the cleaning staff ., appreciated on our return each day .. A wonderful escape and would certainly stay again although I would shop around for prices of day trips as pretty expensive when purchased through the resort ,,

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lyn B
Seemant-Raju, Owner at Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hello! Thank you for your kind review. Yes, we are tucked away from the noise and that is always a welcome benefit for our guests. And thank you also, for the comment on the food and cocktails.
We hope to see you again.

Regards,
Jaspal (Owner and Managing Director)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Karon Sea Sands is nice enough hotel with good sized rooms, a big enough pool and very comfortable beds. The location is great, across the road from a not too crowded sandy beach.
My biggest disappointment was the breakfast. On the first day, I had a cockroach attached to my bacon and another customer founds bugs in the cornflakes. I handed my plate with the bacon and cockroach to a member of staff who just took it and binned it.
Our agency complained at reception, yet no response or apology was every received. During our month long trip, we stayed in many hotels and ate food in restaurants as well as from street stalls. I never came across any king of unwanted protein in any other place. We chose to eat outside the hotel and only had fruit and fresh eggs for breakfast.
Another downside was the rusty gym, could do with some new equipment.

Room Tip: The hotel has rooms with direct access to the pool. Not for everybody but request one if this is wha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sabrina159
Seemant-Raju, Owner at Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Sabrina. I would like to thank you for your stay with us and for also bringing up some issues you experienced at our resort.
With regards to the room sizes, pool and comfortable beds, these three are some of the most commented about (positively, I may add) and we are delighted that you agree.

Reading about the breakfast shocked me and my staff. This is completely unacceptable, both with finding insects within the restaurant area, as well as staff not apologizing to you or your agent.

We live in a sub-tropical area and due to that, we are always using a pest control company to come in and do their magic, so this issue surprised us. I did a surprise inspection with my department heads and we saw mostly ants. However, being where we live, these insects and ants will always exist. I can assure you and all our guests that we will work even harder to prevent this from happening again.

Issues with the gym. We are by the ocean, so salt air does affect the gym, but we will keep an eye out for any defects. As of now, none are found, other than a few rust spots here and there.

Again, thanks for staying with us and we hope that you will give us a second chance. Feel free to contact me anytime. Will be more than happy to offer you a lovely free dinner with a full bottle of wine, when you return.

Jaspal
(Owner)

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Arrived Karon Sea Sands on Monday, January 28th. Even though the reservation was confirmed and the room payed for more than two months earlier, we were rejected and relocated to another hotel in the vicinity for a week.
The manager promised a free dinner when we came back as compensation for the rejection.
We never received any "free meal"!
Two days after we returned to Karon Sea Sands we made reservations for a Bar-B-Q night at the hotel. According to the invitation that shoukd qualify for a free glas of wine. We never received any free glas of wine.
Two days later I asked the bartender at the pool bar to put two coconuts in the frezer and I would pick the up one hour later. I saw he put the coconuts in the freezer. When I came to pick up my coconuts he said he was sorry, he sold them to someone else.

Room Tip: If you can get another place, take it! Karon Sea Sands says they have made a reservation for you, bu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kystfart
Seemant-Raju, Owner at Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

First off, thank you for your comment. I am disappointed by what happened and there was clearly a systematic failure at several levels of the resort and I addressed these with all department heads.

With regards to the booking. No excuses here, but I can say that there was a computer failure between our system and the booking system. The staff tried desperately to confirm the booking once you arrived and they could not. You noted that we found another hotel for you. We lost you as a customer, but we found you another location and covered the expenses incurred.

With the free glass of wine, it is clear our staff forgot. It would have helped if the wine was requested. You would have gotten it. Again, sorry about the oversight.

The coconut issue. Another example of staff not thinking well. We had coconuts, but not in the freezer. Apologies again.

The free meal and a bottle of wine is still on offer. Please let us know when you come by and I will personally ensure that your visit with us will be better than the last. I can email you the voucher and that will secure the invitation for you.

Thank you for pointing out the issues and again, please accept our apologies.