“Still a nice stay, after several years, beaches and hotels”

Karona Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My friend and I booked a deluxe sea-view room for three nights just last week. It was our first stay here after several years, during which we went to different beaches in Phuket and stayed in various hotels. The place was much as we remembered -- a nice big room (which had a queen bed and a single bed, plus a bay window seat). The free wifi (which had pretty strong signals though it allowed only one gadget to be logged on at a time) was an improvement, as was the flat-screen TV offering news channels in English plus a couple of entertainment channels in English. Gone, however, were the spa-quality toiletries in little pottery containers that came with the room and the outdoor jacuzzi just by the poolside bar. So the place has gone a tad utilitarian, but it still has its charm -- like the view from the cool comfort of the room, including the wonderful view of sunset and of the beach with crashing waves in the distance and silhouettes of palm trees nearer. The windows and balcony door were nicely sound-proofed, so we heard nothing of the music from the restaurant in the evening with the windows and door closed. The air-con was a little spotty on the second night, but the hotel had it fixed after we told the staff of the problem. Breakfast was not luxurious but adequate if you aren't choosy -- eggs cooked while you wait; noodles, rice porridge, stir-fried vegetables, sausages, etc., on warmers; bread, fruit and cereal. The rooms are situated up the slope, accessible via steps outdoors past the pool. So perhaps this makes the place not too suitable for folks who get winded easily nor for kids. But like us, if you like a nice boutique-sized hotel that are free of feisty families or feasting troupes, this isn't too bad a choice... particularly if you're here in the off-peak season... or if like us, you manage to get to stay for three nights on two nights' room charges, with the option of early check-in and late check-out. The location -- near Kata village and a beach-length's walk to the town at the northern end of Karon -- is another plus. Food options, including the restaurant by the beach across the road, and the one five minutes' away on the left of the hotel, are more plus points.

Room Tip: Take the sea-facing rooms on the higher floors for the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lalangm
There are newer reviews for Karona Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My partner and I loved it here.We stayed for 3 nights and couldn't fault anything.The location was great being right on the beach and not far to restaurants,markets etc.Good breakfast!The staff was very helpful and nice.Really enjoyed the 3 nights we spent at the Karona!

Great holiday!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Now, before I share my story with you, you should know that I visited Phuket and stayed at this hotel back in May 2006 (despite of the date shown, since the dates on this website don't go that far back!). While there were next to no remnants of the tsunami of a year and a half prior, the hotel was in the process of being renovated, none of which affected my stay, I have to say. The hotel breathes tranquility and even though there are no elevators, there is nothing wrong with a little exercise climbing the stairs up and down... which by the way looked very nice since the steps were very wide and made of some kind of stone. Listen, take it from me: it wasn't THAT high up, okay? If I'm not mistaken, there were 3 floors. My room was a double suite on the first (ground) floor overlooking the pool and the garden, which by the way was well taken care off. Breakfast at the hotel was nice, but if you're like me and like to sample local foods, breakfast was kinda lost on me. I had it maybe twice or 3 times, but it was good and more than sufficient with a wide range of foods to choose from. Now, my room, as stated before, was a double one which I had all to myself. I still remember the beautiful tile in the bathroom and the round stone sink in the room, the very (and I do mean very) heavy desk and stool, which were carved out of a very ancient tree, I presume and they looked superb :) The hotel staff were more than helpful in assisting me in booking my trips to Koh Phi Phi and Phang Nga, among others. Heck, they even left me a birthday cake in my room, which I noticed upon my arrival back from Koh Phi Phi on my birthday... being from the tropics myself, that cake was ant infested, LOL :) BUT: I placed it in the fridge, turned up the temperature that killed those little red ants and baby, I had me some birthday cake, ya hear? LOL :) On the day of my departure Miss Kan and Miss Au even gave me a souvenir from Thailand: a clock which I still have along with the lovely picture of the 3 of us together. All in all my stay at Karona Resort & Spa in Phuket was one I will never forget, one I am eager to re-live and one that I can definitely recommend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

It is a big hotel, with a lot of rooms. If you have a sea view room, it will take some stairs up to the top floor. No elevator. It is used by some of the charter companies, so I would assume it is pretty full during the peak season. I was there during rainy season, which is not bad.
The room is big and the view great! But the beds are a bit too hard.
But to use the safe in the room, you have to had a key from the reception; and you have to pay for the key. That is a stupid thing in my opinion. Pay to use the safe!!
The breakfast is a traditional buffet, with both western and asia food. It was good, but pretty much average. Nothing special.
The staff are friendly and try everything to make your stay a good one.
It is located on the southern tip of Karon Beach, and you have Kata next. There are many great choices there of restaurants and coffee shops.
The spa was closed the time we were there, which was a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hans O
Reviewed August 10, 2013

After a poor experience at the Metadee in Kata, myself and my wife checked out and travelled to the Karona Resort and Spa where I had lasted stayed in 2006. I had really enjoyed my last stay back then, so after our poor experience at the Metadee it seemed a logical choice. Staying in the down season, I believe we were the only guests at the hotel during the week we stayed, the first time I had ever experienced that! All week we had the restaurant and pool to ourselves which was amazing. One night in the restaurant we even had that too ourselves too with live music! Amazing.

The rooms look a tiny bit dated, but still very nice and clean. The air conditioning is effective with an additional ceiling fan. The beds comfortable with a nice balcony over looking the pool and sea.

The hotel itself is in the centre of Karon beach close to restaurants, shops and bars. The nearest landmark is the dino-park which all of the taxi drivers know.

The service we received at the Karona Resort and Spa was great and our second visit was just as good as my first. I would highly recommend the Karona Resort and Spa to other travellers visiting Phuket.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were a bit worried about where to stay in thailand because everything looks good online, and so we found out that karon beach is relatively quiet and headed down to this resort from patong. The place is well maintained, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is good. Its one of the few resorts that is barely five steps from the beach on karon. And below are charming little restaurants and a great live band that performs every night. We stayed at the superior seaview and was every bit worth the price. They also organised for an airport drop and packed a little breakfast for the way :)

Room Tip: choose the seaview, its the best ;)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I inquired prior to booking if credit cards are acceptable, they replied they do accept cards. But upon arrival, they said that their credit card machine was spoilt so can only accept cash. WHAT is this?! Credit card machine is not working? Where should we go and get so much cash? When we told them we don't have the cash and they require immediate payment, we told them we don't have and we will go some other hotels then. Then they relent and say can check in first and pay later. IT's a pity we can't contact the boss or manager as they say just say they are not around ALL the time.

Initially I booked the room, requesting for extra bed and better view but when i arrived at the room, it was not the room I had requested. I am paying at a premium price just for a normal room. IT just shouldn't be. Then I feedback to them, they say this is the only room left. After some demanding, they relent and got me the room I had requested. Gosh.....

Breakfast was good and sumptuous amount but they pretended not to understand English and when you need more they just say don't have this item, don't have that item.

WiFi is only available at the main lobby, other than that, totally no signal at all. What is this again? This hotel is not very big, the signal must have been really bad.

Pool have lots of green algae inside the pool itself, no maintenance was given.

Low or non-peak season, the spa is not open. This should have been conveyed to guests earlier as i was planning to go for their spa services daily.

Room Tip: Think at the price I paid, can get a better room elsewhere. Be firm with what you requested.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family