“Excellent Visit!”
Review of Phuket Island View

Phuket Island View
Ranked #64 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband, 14-year-old granddaughter and I just returned to Seattle from a 9-day stay at the Phuket Island View. The hotel was wonderful - older, but very nice and clean, the staff was wonderful! The hotel property itself is beautiful and the swimming pools are gorgeous! The buffet breakfast was excellent each morning, and the restaurant lunch and dinner menu was absolutely fantastic! There is not one negative thing we can say about the hotel. It was inexpensive and we would most definitely stay there again! It is a little noisy at night, but what do you expect! You are situated right in Karon Beach! And the beautiful beach is just across the street a few feet. I am ready to go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jackie4961

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We were given a bungalow for the Xmas weekend; at a good price. Little did i know what I was getting myself into and the irony of it was that the staff that brought us to the room said we were lucky. This room number is 8042; it is right next to the septic tank and sewerage collection. The moment you turned on the light in the bathroom; the ventilation kicked in and the au du septic tank waffled into the bathroom. The bungalows were brand new and they didn't bother to keep in ventilation valves in the sewerage pipes to prevent the polluting air from being back-drafted into the new bungalows. The smell was so overpowering that I almost passed out trying to take a quick shower. There were potpurries in the bathroom which told me that the management was well aware of the bad smells in the bathroom but did nothing to inform the guests of the problem. As it was already very late, we arrived past 11 pm and did not make a fuss as yet and went to bed.

When we did complained the next day, we were told that it was a special price and that was why we could get the bungalow cheap and I said later to them, if they had been honest about the room, even if you paid me, I wouldn't want to stay in that room. We were then given another standard room for the rest of the stay but it marred our experience totally. That was not to mentioned that it was impossible to sleep at the hotel due to the nightly late night fireworks being set off illegally late at night and the gala dinner band that was right next to the standard room on xmas eve.

Predictably when i complained about this to the hotel, the only thing they offered me was free night stay at their hotel in the next few months and I can also transfer this free night to someone else. And my response to that is that; " Are you kidding me?" Why would I want to go back to your hotel by paying for another flight and more nights' stay at the Hotel Du Stink and worse yet, tell my friends to go there to stay. " I actually like my friends and want them to stay friends with me.

I asked for a night refund instead from the hotel and predictably I got no response or follow up in any way. And after sufficient time has passed to allow them to get back to me which they did not, I am leaving this feedback to warn other potential guests to not stay in those new bungalows; near the septic tank.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sgsunnycity
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This hotel has lots to offer with 3 pools, a swim up bar, massage area and restaurant with live entertainment. The beach is just across the road and the hotel provides a traffic dude that helps you navigate around the tuk tuk mayhem.
Scooters are available to rent which is a real bargain and a must do.
The only complaint I have is the internet pay card system. You have to buy cards to use the internet I bought 30 minutes and used up most of my time waiting for the slow server which locked up several times.
This hotel seems to be popular for Russian Tour Groups. The rooms have a nice balcony and are clean but a bit dated...but then again it's not a 5 star place.
The food was pretty good too.
I would stay here again- and go to the 2 chefs !

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This was our second trip to Phuket in four years. The first time we went we stayed in the Andaman Seaview hotel next door. (We knew the hotels were close but just not how close!)
When we arrived at the Phuket Island View we were taken to our room which was a bungalow with poolside views. However, there was building work behind our room which woke us very early. We asked to change rooms and were moved to another bungalow the same morning which was a lot better. The building work was from the shops on the beach front, not the hotel. The hotel is very nice, there are three pools but the pool near the bungalows where we were staying was having work done to it so we couldn't use it. The main pool is lovely with jacuzzi beds. Bungalow rooms are spacious and clean with all the facilities you'd need. They are a little dated but great for the price. Room was cleaned with new towels everyday. Only thing that annoyed us was that the maid kept turning off our A/C when we were out so it was far too hot when we got back from our days out!
We ate breakfast a couple of times in the hotel which was good. There was a wide selection of foods hot and cold to choose from. We weren't bothered about breakfast though because we're not really people who get up for it. We'd rather go and explore other places!
We found the hotel's location to be excellent. We love Karon because it's quieter than and Patong and has a lovely beach and some great restaurants/shops. We love Patong too and Bang La Road where it's crazy busy but it was nice to come back to a more peaceful spot after a night out. Patong is about 10 minutes away along the coast in a Tuk Tuk. We hired a scooter while we were there for trips out during the day and Karon is well located for exploring different parts of the beautiful island.
Overall we had a great trip and would definitely consider staying again at the Phuket Island View.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was my first time in Phuket, and for some reason was really worried about the hotel and expected the worst. Visited quite a few before choosing Phuket Island View both for the location and the value.

Well what can i say, this is an absolute gem of a hotel. Unbelievable location, the ocean is right there in front of you, can't get any closer. Plus Karan beach is much less populated than the other ones so its great. First look at the sea in the morning is guaranteed to take your breath away - simply stunning! The room we were given had some problems in the toilet but they quickly gave us another room. Rooms are large, clean and spacious. The hotel has 3 swimming pools and over the 5 days we stayed, greatly enjoyed them. The third was being renovated. Breakfast buffet was good if unspectacular.

Overall though this was great value, and I would happily go there again if i visit Phuket in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

we stayed at this hotel for our first week first time in thailand ,,hotel rooms were very beautifuly decorated and spacious tea/coffee making servises were available free the hotel itself has 3 pools idealy situated around the grounds one with a pool bar which i must say was fantastic as an afternoon retreat after a mornings shopping ,,,rooms also boasted private balcony ,,the service was also fantastic ,,the staff were great also ,,,the breakfast area in the mornings was spotless and plentyful a good selection of eggs were cooked fresh in front of you to your liking and the hot food was hot ( not warm ) the surounding grounds to the hotel were lush with greenary ,,,, shopping was abundant within walking distance from the hotel and further excusions were only a tuk tuk or taxi away ,,,,all in all a very pleasent stay ,,,,there is also a bar that belongs to the hotel facing the beach and many an evening was spent letting the young staff entertain us through ,, magic ,, tricks ,, juggling ,, and comedy ,,,, drinks on arrival to the hotel were free as a welcome and very refreshing i would strongly recomend this hotel to anyone as a relaxing part of a holiday it was so refreshing would def go back

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We booked this place on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews some months before our stay. We had opted for a stay in a Bungalow and booked directly through the hotel's web page. The rate we paid was 1400 baht per night. About 2 weeks before our arrival I checked their web pages and found that all the bungalows were booked (or so I thought) and only standard and superior rooms were available. On arrival at the hotel we were invited to take a seat as our reservation was processed. Over came an office person to say that there was a problem and we couldn't have our bungalow as it was being renovated, in fact all the bungalows were being renovated. We could stay in a poolside room as an alternative and as we had had a long day we opted for that for a night and we would explore the options tomorrow.
Now the renovations hadn't started that day, in fact they had been in progress for some time. This was the reason none were available according to their web site. I believe we were deliberately not told about this because this is the low season and they didn't want to run the risk of loosing the booking. VERY SNEAKY.
The room we stayed in smelled musty and although not too flash it was OK, but there were things that didn't work or were sub standard.
The next morning after breakfast we decided to have a look around for other options. In daylight it was obvious that the place is pretty run down. Work is being carried out to fix things up but we didn't want to stay at a 'works in progress' site.
We wandered into the Karon Beach Spa & Resort and asked to see a room. A poolside room there was twice as much as the Island view but ten times better. We booked for ten nights and went back to check out of the other dump. We packed the bags and fronted reception to check out and then they tried the second sting.
For the privilege of staying in a lower grade room we could pay an extra 300 baht, which conveniently would amount to the deposit I had already paid. Not a chance I said. Then they tried the line that all the problems emanated from me booking through an agency, even though that agency was their agency. Got some of our deposit back and couldn't get away from the place fast enough. Never again. We didn't think much of the hotel position either. Stay at your own peril.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple