“Great location, terrible service.”
Review of Phuket Island View

Phuket Island View
Ranked #77 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Bangkok
“Great location, terrible service.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Phuket Island View hotel from December 28-30, 2012 for a quick weekend trip.
Pros:
- great location, just a quick walk across the street and you're right on Karon Beach
- 3 pools, spa on site
- restaurant had a large selection of food to order
- breakfast was included

Cons: After spending 2 weeks in Bangkok, I found the service at this hotel horrendous. When checking in (we booked through Booking.com), we were handed a bill for a 2nd night, which was fine, but when I was looking it over, the woman at the front counter (only one without a name tag) was grabbing it away from me like a child, because a paper of hers was attached. And the credit card machine wasn't working... and that pretty much set the tone.
- the restaurant tables aren't wiped clean ever, they simply swipe a swiffer-type wand over the tables between people. They're constantly dirty.
- In the bathroom, after a shower I looked at the side of the toilet and it hadn't been cleaned in weeks.
- there were long brown hairs on my bed after it was cleaned, looked like someone took a nap there (my hair is blonde).
- When we checked in, one of the staff took us to find our room - probably 4 ramps/stairs later, I had to ask him to carry my mother's small wheeled luggage as she was having trouble with it, and he reacted like I had asked him for a liver.
- on our last day, we checked out in the morning but had a day trip before an evening flight. We used the "showers" at the spa when we got back - no hot water and no drainage - all of our luggage got soaked before our flight.

I get that it was just before New Year's and it was busy. Bottom line: if you're looking for a nice location, decent property, and good pool selection - for the price, you can't beat this. But don't expect decent service or anything above mediocre otherwise. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Bungalows are great, excellent value for money if you can get a deal! Staff are very friendly and helpful

Location is right next to Karon Beach, Kata Beach is only a short walk/tuk-tuk/scooter ride away.

Would recommend and will go again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul B
London
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Phuket island view karon beach
On first impressions this place looks pretty good. Don't get me wrong it is adequate but not great. There are 3 pools its near the beach it's quiet and the rooms are okay, if you like bright green (painted) walls and breakfast is included, which again is okay. This hotel is used mainly by Russian package tourists and I think we were the only English there. Not that this bothers me because we pretty much keep ourselves to ourselves when we are on holiday.
The things that I didn't like were you get charged ( quite a lot) for wifi, there are no safes in the rooms, they are at reception and chargeable. You get 1 pool/beach towel each in your room, which is good but they are not big enough for the beds by the pool so you have to put you flesh on the boiling bed. When you ask for a second the reply is " No can't have". Lastly the staff didn't seem that friendly or interested to be honest.
I didn't eat anything but breakfast at the hotel because of the wifi issue. I strolled just along the road to the hungry corner restaurant and ate there. The place looks a bit like a British cafe but the food was good, the service was great and it was reasonably priced. On top of that they had free wifi. Now had the hotel offered this I would have probably eaten there and they would still have made a profit.
One thing I did find strange was that all the things I've mentioned seem to be cost cutting measures but there is no key card in your room to cut the power when you leave it so you can leave your aircon and lights on all day.

Room Tip: Karon Beach is a bit like Southend on sea, kata noi or Kata beach would be a better choice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trojan263
Derby, England
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Phuket island view

We stayed at Phuket island view for one night before our journey out to ko phi phi. We wanted somewhere reasonably priced and pleasant. We paid only £30 for the room from hotels.com.

It cost 750 baht in a taxi from Phuket airport and it was approximately an hour drive. Upon arrival we were handed a cold drink at reception and we were checked in quickly. Our bags were taken to the room and after a quick change we were soon in one of the pools.

The pools were lovely and it was fairly quiet. We enjoyed a pleasant swim. Our room was comfortable and well equipped. We had complimentary toiletries and a balcony.

The beach is just over the road although it seemed quite busy but looked lovely for swimming. There are several shops and a mini market around the corner which we bought drinks from to have on our balcony.

We ate at the hotel's restaurant which sadly we do not recommend!! We were looking at the menu for several minutes before someone actually came over to seat us. It took a while before our order was taken and we ordered two small beers, two starters and two mains. Our drinks came out and were wrong but we let it pass. Then we waited a while and they tried to serve the food for the people next to us to us. They received one of their mains then they brought out my main leaving my rice on the next table. Confused as I was expecting my starter we sent it back. They then left my food on the side, served the table next to us then brought out my main and a few minutes later my other half's food. They then brought over the rice for mine which was by this time cold and had spent ten minutes either sat on the table next to us or on the side! Needless to say I asked if I could have it warm! They then took the rice away and reheated it and then asked if we wanted our starters as well to which we obviously said no!
We were told by a member of staff that they were sorry but they were two members of staff down. That would have been fair enough had there not only been four tables occupied at the time!! And more staff than that!! Not a good experience.

Thankfully breakfast was much better and there was plenty of choice - toast, cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit, yoghurt and Asian food. It was very pleasant.

Overall it is very good value for the price, but avoid the restaurant in the evening!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank gillybeany
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I remember my journey. Well, it is very wonderful. I am very impressive with Phuket. Do ya know it. It seems to be a Pearl of Thailand South with white sand, golden light .Romatic. I love it. I’m gonna look at pictures in Phuket Island. I never forget that beautiful time. ^^

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jerryjennifer0802201
Nice, France
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We spent 5 days with my family there. Nice resort, great breakfast even thought it's almost always the same food, my kids enjoyed the 3 swimming pools. We had a new bungalow, was nice but the private jacuzzi didn't work. The only negative point concerns the employees at the lobby. They have the thai smile but you can't help feeling it's completely fake!!!
Otherwise, nice place bcs very close to the beautiful beach of karon. But if you want to go to the shops or restaurants, rent a motorbike!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank french_happy_family_
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel is amazing - Has a real Thai theme going on - different pools for different things so big pool for chatting, small for quiet and other small for kids and familes - rooms are amazing - hotel should be a 4*±.. Anyone who is moaning about the hotel for the price per night must be crazy and not well travelled. In an amazing location and I stayed alone for 3 nights and never felt safer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo