The Marina Phuket Resort is an excellent choice for a mid-size hotel in Phuket. It is located at the south end of Karon Beach, where the beach joins the rocky peninsular forming the south end of the bay. When our car first pulled into the hotel, I thought there had been some mistake. The reception area was barely off of a busy city street. Once we left the reception area, we realized that the noise and confusion of the city street was left behind, and we were in a quiet garden. Its 100 or so rooms are scattered through acres of beautiful foliage and flowers. Stone and wooden walkways connect the reception area, the pool, the restaurant, and the rooms.
Our garden room, although the smallest of the three styles that they offer, did not lack for space or comfort. It was spotlessly clean and well furnished, with a king size bed, a window seat lounge, HD TV, a long desk, closets, and a safe. It appeared to have been recently renovated. The bath was small but beautifully tiled in unusual earth and aqua tones. The jungle rooms and the sea view rooms are larger, but all offer similar views of foliage and flowerers.
It is one of only a couple of hotels in Karon that is directly on the beach. Although very little of the beach is in front of the hotel, you do have access the entire length of Karon Beach. The area beneath the restaurant can be used for snorkeling, if the tide and surf are right. If you leave the hotel grounds, there are many shops, restaurants, and banks within a couple of blocks. Most of the rest of Karon can be reached by walking on the beach or road or with a short tuk-tuk ride.
The restaurant overlooks the entire length of the beach, the bay, and the hills beyond. The breakfast buffet offers oriental and western dishes including cooked to order eggs. The dinners are excellent, and I have posted a separate review of the restaurant.
Look for the baby elephant that visits mornings around 10 or 11 am. For the price of a few bananas, you can get a picture of him kissing you with his trunk.
Since the rooms and facilities are scattered throughout the gardens, some walking and climbing is required to get from your room to the restaurant, pool, or lobby. If you like a hotel that has all of its facilities in one large building, the Marina Phuket is not for you. If like a constantly changing array flowers, birds, and greenery, this is the place to stay. The hotel also provides free pick up and return to the airport, free breakfast, free Wi-Fi even in the widely scattered rooms, and other amenities bundled into the price.
I have heard that the hotel will be closing for some months this summer to expand the pool and restaurant area and complete other renovations. Check with the management, but It should be reopening in the fall with even nicer facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marina Phuket Resort is perched on a headland at southern end of Karon, among the finest of Phuket's famous west-coast beaches. The Deluxe Villas overlook the beach and the Andaman Sea. All guests have direct access to Karon Beach and can enjoy snorkeling right out front of the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Marina Phuket Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Phuket Hotel Karon
- Marina Phuket Karon
- Marina Phuket Resort Karon