“Marvelous stay in a nutshell”
Review of The Old Phuket

The Old Phuket
Ranked #29 of 133 Hotels in Karon
Stilbaai
“Marvelous stay in a nutshell”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel - end Sept after spending some time with the children on Phi Phi island ( fantastic snorkeling). The crisp white and green spacious room and the hearty welcome of the staff made us feel at home immediately. The bathroom was spacious with shower and bath. Breakfast was great, the beach, restaurants, SHOPPING and MASSAGES just a few minutes walk away. The gym and pool was great to end or start the day. Wish there could be more such places to stay. A highly recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room - it was great BUT all the first floor rooms has access to the pool strai...
2 Thank ELsa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is an absolute disgrace. I stayed here in September/October and my fiancee had paid for a so-called "upgraded" room to a jacuzzi suite. It was situated in the Sino Wing and it was filthy. The bathroom smelt like urine, the bed was hard and I ended up in hospital as a result of entering the filthy, mouldy jacuzzi. The management was atrocious and we were offered no apology, compensation or special treatment as the result. The manager claimed he was concerned and had "rung" the hospital and been told I had had an allergic reaction to something I'd eaten. Despite the fact that the hospital would not give that kind of personal medical information out without my permission, the lie was completely ludicrous as he could not possibly have known what hospital I was admitted to (apparantly there are 7 on Phuket). I also had my medical report from the hospital which stated quite clearly I had a gatrointestinal infection. We asked to have our room changed to the new Serene Wing but was told it was full and then placed in what would have to have been the noisiest room at the property. The room was on the street where all the restaurants are and there was some kind of air-shaft that ran down through the bathroom which enabled us to hear every conversation from the floors above!! We decided to check out early and it was like a scene from "Fawlty Towers" when dealing with the manager (who originally scurried away when he saw us entering the lobby). He even admitted that he had seen the mould oozing from the spa jets but "no one else had complained" so it wasn't a problem as far as he was concerned!!!! We were offered NO compensation of any kind and had to pay over $80 in phone calls that were meant to be reverse charged to our travel insurer in Australia. The "breakfast" was also revolting - food uncovered, flies and birds everywhere landing on any available surface. Overall, a disgusting, filthy flea-pit of a hotel. AVOID like the plague it could potentially instigate!!!
Oh.....nearly forgot - they do offer in house "massage" - a necessity when the bed is as hard as a rock.....probably should offer free physiotherapy as well

2 Thank Bec_Luc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Negatives: We had a room booked in the Sino wing Room 308...room OK??? but bathroom grubby, mildew around bath taps. Shower rose shot water around in all directions which meant you couldn't leave it in the wall holder to shower, had to spray yourself with water, put shower rose down in bath tub,hold with foot while you lathered up then pick up & rinse off. Then the bed, or should I say concrete bench, but they will put a pillow-top on if you ask. Did not sleep very much 1st night as there is a service cupboard/plumbing access between each room which (I think) takes water up to all floors, sounds like an elevator, this whirring noise goes for about 30seconds with about 1 min. in between each noise which is stopped each time when a solinoid (I think) kicks in, would not be too intrusive in the day but at night it is intrusive. We advised management & the manager on duty was very helpful, she came over & listened to noise & offered to move us to another room in the same wing but as these service cupboards are between all rooms we declined. She offered us room in the newer Serene wing which we took but had to pay an extra $20+ per night which I feel is wrong as not our fault that we couldn't put up with the noise from service cupboard. Now, the Serene wing room 2404, nice room, everything worked, our room was cleaned by Nha a lovely young lady. If you want a peacuful stay don't stay here, as the pool is surrounded on 3 sides by the rooms, this creates an echo chamber & children screaming argueing etc. from 6am (Pool hours 10am-7pm, not policed) Guests, please read your compendium & pool rules & abide by same! Punching balls around pool, the noise is not condusive to relaxing on your balcony. We were on level 4 & pity the guests who were in the pool access rooms.
Positive: Buffet b/fast was fine with eggs/omelettes cooked fresh to your liking, but plates in Continental selection should be sitting on a bed of ice, cold meats etc. in hot Thailand weather not nice.

Room Tip: Swimming Pool level 3 Sino Wing is locked, so can't be used out of hours, maybe a room on the gr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

A big call I know but these guys are the real deal. I stayed in this property 2 years ago and although dated it was clean and in a great spot at Karon.

This trip I took my fiancé for a couples time away and "upgraded" our room to a spa room to make it more romantic- big mistake. The spa was located on the balcony and was deep and lovely for a couple to use. The first time we used the spa we didn't look too carefully filled it with water and bubbles then hopped in. We turned on the jets and the stench of the water nearly made us dry retch! We got our of the spa immediately.

The next day my fiancé went to give the spa another go and she had brought some cleaning wipes with her. Not only was there dirt everywhere the jets of the spa were green with mould. That night we were due to go to the Fantasea Show for a dinner/show combination but had to cancel due to my fiancé vomiting constantly. All of the travel pills were brought up and the next morning I had to admit her to hospital with severe dehydration and a severe infection- caused by the spa. My fiancé and I had eaten the exact same foods and been together constantly but a mozzie bite on her foot let the infection from the spa into her system.

Whilst in hospital I returned to the hotel to try and change our room to the newer Serene Wing for the remainder of our trip. I was happy to pay an upgrade fee- we would prefer to be in luxury rather than slum it at our age. The manager when told my fiancé was in hospital tried to pass it off as a tummy upset but showed me a room on the ground floor in the Sino Wing that had a court yard area at the front- which seemed nice. The room we were getting was similar to the one shown to me but a bit further down.

After 2 days in hospital we returned and had to wait for the manager to give us our key. On the way to the room he said he had run the hospital to check on my fiance- utter lies given he didn't know which hospital we were in and how worried he was about us but made no effort to even leave a note in our room or anything. The room we were given was right at the end of the run of rooms, immediately next to the entry to the street from the hotel and we heard all the noises of people coming and going and the air shaft in the room made certain we got no sleep and heard people talking all night.

We tried to contact our travel agent in Australia from the Flight Centre- who basically told us if we left the hotel we wouldn't get a refund from the accommodation we had booked. But given the horrendous room, poor sleep, the manager's attitude we cut our losses and moved to another hotel.

When we checked out the manager at first refused to speak to us skulking around like a rat before finally coming to us and incredulously asking why we were checking out early. Even when asked had he looked at our room and seen the mould in the spa he agreed it was dirty but no other guests had complained.

He again told us he was upset we were not happy but would not refund any of the accommodation we had booked saying it was the Flight Centre's fault. He also again said he was sad my fiance had got sick but agreed we had been given a worse room than before.

So do yourself a favour stay anywhere but this dump!!!

Don't even get me started on the fly infested breakfast served at this property.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The staff do not clean the rooms properly, the manager is rude and the staff do...
2 Thank GandB842
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

4 of us shared this 10 days, each couple in a sino wing terrace unit.Conveniently located on ground floor and a stroll to the breakfast area and the resturants just outside hotel were excellent.Took us at least 5 minutes to feel the smooth,clean sand of Karon beach which is fantastic. 100 Baht / day for beach lounge."cheap". Hotel staff great with sense of humor to suit.Would go back anytime.

Room Tip: Sino Wing portugese style. The Serene Wing a more modern, white theme,very nice but dearer.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank willowwest
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Would highly recommend for anyone to stay here, Dominic and the front desk staff totally friendly and accommodating
When we arrive at the hotel we were upgraded to the Serena Wing 2 x pool side rooms which was great. Walking out from our lovely colourful rooms into the SPA and pool breath taking
The hotel is few meters from the beach with a number of SPA’s and restaurants along the way at very good prices.
Awesome part about staying at this hotel shopping is at your doorstep just outside the security gate with a 24hr security.
Wi-Fi is free at the internet café all you need to do is get the password from front desk and you On-Line
There are a number of Forex currency exchange offices as well and ATM’s
The shopping at Karon Beach a bit expensive compared to Bangkok but overall wonderful and memorable experience.
Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Serena Wing 2 x pool side rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Corowa, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

highly recommend especially if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle but still have everything you will every need right out the front including beach front across road. the hotel is beautiful great staff, extremely helpful. They have a variety of rooms available to choose from too. It is only 10-15 min tops to get to Patong and will cost no more than 400baht to get there in tuk tuk, taxi etc

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends