“read reviews went it was ok?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Red Onion
Ranked #55 of 355 Restaurants in Karon
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“read reviews went it was ok?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I went off alone to Red Onion as it looked impossible to eat there with children, chairs really close together and very busy. We were so excited but left feeling let down. I'd read the reviews and made it a must but on our first Karon visit (we always stay here) time ran out. So next visit I made it a must wish I hadn't the food was ok but nothing great. I felt like I was being rushed because people wait for tables. Maybe it was a must eat place once but I feel they have lost whatever they had because of the turnover in trade. Maybe the chef left I don't know others in our group went to eat here but said from previous visits it was not up to scratch!

• Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“Better than most”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We ate twice at The Red Onion the food is quite good but not that good I would line up to get a table. Get there by 6.30 to avoid this. Don't expect a leisurely dinner they like more sittings so the service is accordingly. I keep saying this but Karon dining is rather ordinary from what we tried this time around so if something is half decent and reasonably priced they flock to it.

Somerton Park, South Australia
“Avoid at All Costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had read mixed reports and decided to give the Red Onion a try, that was our first mistake, getting seated was abrupt and with a indifferent attitude and got worse from here on. When ordering from a picture book style menue the man taking our order was in a very bad mood being abrupt and not wanting to answer any questions regarding the food. We rececied two dishes,a fried Duck dish and Prawns with some sort of gutiness noodles which did not order, in addition to this there were five of the smallest prawns immaginable ( we had more prawns in the fried rice than in this dish elswere). When I complained we were treated like mit was our fault at which time I told them to take the dish away as it was not waht we ordered, this caused a great deal of yelling and I guess abused in Thai. We asked for the bill paid and left. Don't be tempted just avoid

Visited April 2013
3 Thank GerriandMark
Awhitu, New Zealand
“Good food and a good giggle!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just had to dine at this restaurant after reading the reviews. We obviously struck it at the right time, we didn't have to queue. We were sat inside, as requested as partner wasn't coping too well with the heat :o) and were positioned nicely under a fan, only to be told 2 minutes later, 'you move.' They needed our table to make up a party of 6. My partner reluctantly gave up his seat..the staff started bickering as we searched for another place to sit. Not sure if it was directed at us, or if they were fighting amongst themselves! They took our order, but it was obvious the waiter was not a happy chappy. The general consensus of diners around us was that they too were exeperiencing grumpy and surly service. The atmosphere continued like that for the duration of the meal, which was, by the way, superb. They are certainly well organised, and meals were served promptly, however, the sheer popularity of the place has obviously put the staff under a lot of pressure. We were both amused and bemused...finding the whole experience both entertaining and bewlidering! Have fun dining here, you will get a good meal, you may even get service with a smile.... :o)

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tailz
Melbourne, Australia
“Who loves eating Flys !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I ate there last week after reading some great reviews...in a nutshell the food was good but there were large blowflys all over the tables which I never saw in any other restaurant in Karon and this was poor to say the least !.

The spring rolls have an authentic Thai Flavour and not the average fried fare you get in other restaurants and the salt and pepper fish was excellent.

Would I return...only if they sorted out the fly problem as the alleyway next to the restaurant looked dirty and unappealing.

A tip...if you go after 6pm you may be waiting for a table.