“A huge disappointment”

Ranked #33 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Perth, Australia
“A huge disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

I am certain this hotel was absolutely gorgeous about 60 years ago, but unfortunately it has not seen any upkeep of rooms since then I daresay, as the rooms were in a terrible state of repair. Cracks, dirty walls, a revolting bath - mainly because it had paint peeling off of where you are supposed to sit and so it looked very dirtry although I think the cleaners are not at fault because I saw one cleaning a bath thoroughly it just looks dirty because of the old state it was in (which was the most disappointing of all as I was so looking forward to relaxing in my lovely bath, as I dont have one at home). Everything in the room including the furniture looked old and in dire need of a renovation. Also, when I arrived and looked out my window I was faced with a view of the rusty old decaying backs of the rooms and airconditioners of the units in front of me. Luckily I was able to move to another room with a poolside view within a couple of days, but the state of the rooms was just as bad. My phone also used to ring at ungodly hours of the morning but no-one was there when I would answer it. Obviously wake up calls for other rooms were patching into mine - very annoying to say the least. The grounds were okay, but could also use some better maintenance to really get it up to the standard I am sure it used to be in. The hall-ways were in shocking states of disrepair. My first breakfast at the buffet was also a nightmare, as there was actually no seating available for me, and when I alerted the staff that I had no-where to sit down, they just shrugged and walked away. I walked around for half an hour with my plates before anyone left a table so I could have a seat. I was not informed of any of the services, which unforttunately I discovered by mistake my last day and morning at the hotel. One thing that I was happy about is that it was focussed on eco-tourism, and the staff were generally friendly. I can see it used to be a beautiful and classy hotel, but it certainly is no longer worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ThavornPB, General Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Sawadee Kup…

Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor, and bringing certain issues to our attention. We are glad that you enjoyed the eco-tourism and nature in our resort, indeed the natural surroundings including our orchid garden are very popular with guests.

With regards to the condition of your room we are currently in the process of renovating the older rooms. With over 200 rooms it is a gradual process which we are undertaking zone by zone in the resort. The high occupancy rates we have been experiencing this year also slows down the process, as we have to wait until rooms become vacant in order to carry out work.

Please accept our apologies for being woken up by your guestroom telephone. Occasionally, we find that guests phone each other’s rooms and mistakably the wrong ones, which upon realizing put down the receiver without saying anything. The resort’s wake up call system is an electronic switchboard system and our Front Office team only telephone guestrooms as a follow up call If the automated call was not answered’.

Please accept our apologies for the unavailability of seating during our peak breakfast hours and our staff’s usual high standard of Thai hospitality going a bit astray. As the resort is experiencing high occupancy at the moment, our team adds additional seating as and when required and we certainly will bring together the breakfast team to remind them to be more attentive to waiting guests to ensure that they can be accommodated as quickly as possible.

If you visit Phuket again in the future, we would like to welcome you back to see the improvements we have made been making so you can see Thavorn Palm Beach Resort in its true beauty.

Thank you again for taking the time to post we do appreciate it.

Regards
Somchai Pantong
(General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

WE went for 3,5 weeks in October to our favorite hotel along the coastline of Karon Beach on Phuket. We have been here 3 times before and we still enjoy it. Yes there are too many Russians that don't relly know how to behave and yes some rooms could be out of date (depending how you like your room) and yes there are problems with staff not fully understanding you. But hey, you get the best garden facilities and swimmingpools in a not too big area, and you are very close to the best part of Karon beach (1 min walk) and you are close to both Karon shops and restaurant (south part) and to Kata (north) shops and restaurant. We feel we are in the middle of everything on that hotel, and now the new manager told us that they will start refurbishing the rooms. We still like the Deluxe rooms we are staying in, but other feel that they need som updoing. Maybe the tiles could be newer and have the times colors, but that will be an indidual taste.
We like it a lot and to the price you pay , we believe that it is worth the money.
Going back next year, looking forward to see the staff again and what changes that have been done.

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

Review of Thavorn Palm beach

We love this place. This is the second time we have stayed here. Beautiful hotel with large rooms. The tropical gardens and grounds are immaculate. The pools are clean and spread throughout the resort. They run a free shuttle bus to Phuket town and Patong. Karon Beach, just across the street from the hotel, is quiet and no hawkers. Also close to supermarket and restaurants. All of the hotel staff were professional and friendly. For the price, I can't imagine that there is a nicer place in Phuket!
We'll be back with the family again next year.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband and I spent 10 days in this hotel. The hotel is just beautiful and the staff is great. Beautiful gardens and very very nice pools. Karon beach is quiet comparing to Patong but is perfect for a couple who just want to relax. Plus you have the beach crossing the street.
Food is great and the Deluxe Rooms as well. I don't know about all the rooms but the one we got was just great, huge and very clean. It is true the room and the bathroom were not very new but they were not old either, and they were very well maintained and clean (and I am extremely picky with rooms and bathrooms). If we ever found a towel that appeared to be not that clean the staff was more than welcomed to change it.
We would be happy to go back there unless we decide to spend holidays in busy and crazy Patong which would be nice as well but if we want a nice, relaxing and romantic getaway again, this is a perfect place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

We loved every thing about this place. It's full of culture and Thai tradition. You're surrounded by beautiful lush green tropical forest. They are really close to nature! And there are so many gorgeous traditional statues throughout the resort.

The location is perfect. Just walk across the road to beautiful Karon beach and everything else (markets/shopping, restaurants & 7/11 stores) are all within walking distance. Plenty to see between Karon & Kata area.

The Staff are so sweet and will try to assist and may your stay comfortable.
They love children. And gave my little one so many cuddles :)
They don't speak a lot of english but enough so you can understand them. So please speak slower and be patient with them. Thai people are so friendly and will appreciate your kindness in return.

We stayed in the standard room. which is not new but clean & comfortable with a balcony either facing the garden, pool or Karon beach. The lovely ladies from housekeeping clean the rooms daily and replace towels for you. Just make sure you ask for the beach towels.

We can't wait to return for another visit to paradise. Definitely recommend it to parents with children.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

We enjoyed out stay at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort and I would recommend it to anyone I know. We stayed there in low season (October) and it was very good value for money at that time. The room was large and clean, a little dated and the hot water was never really hot but warm. The grounds are very nice as is the swimming pool and the breakfasts were excellent. The service we received from the staff was outstanding. I was happy to be away from the crowds at Patong and the beach opposite the resort was very nice. We hired a motorcycle so with transport the location was convenient to Kata Beach and an easy ride to Patong if we wanted to go there. Without transport you may find the options in the evenings a little limited. Overall very good value for money in the low season.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ThavornPB, Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Sawat dii ka…. Thank you for your nice message here on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our very favourable low season rates. I have passed on your comments to the staff at the resort who will be delighted that they were able to provide you with a high level of service during your stay with us.We welcome your comments on the room and these have been noted as we strive to continually improve our services to guests

Our grounds are built on the Thavorn concept of where ‘Thai tradition meets nature’ so we are always pleased to hear when guests can take pleasure in our beautiful natural surroundings. Indeed we are pleased to say that we have just been selected as one of the most outstanding properties in the 2010 HotelClub Awards.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will visit us again in Phuket in the near future

Best Regards,
Melissa Ah-Sing
WesternAustralia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

We loved the beautiful gardens and pool areas but the first room we were in was mouldy, and the ceiling was flaking badly. Luckily a cleaner noticed this and we managed to get moved to another room. From the outside of the building the hotel is very run-down looking and badly in need of a major renovation. The breakfast each morning though was fantastic. It was also very expensive to eat at this hotel so we always went downtown to cheaper restaurants. The gym was also run-down and badly needs a huge revamp.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Beyond Resort Karon
Beyond Resort Karon
#14 of 132 in Karon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews

Been to Thavorn Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!