“Great Resort”

Thavorn Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed 5 nights at this wonderful resort. The newly renovated rooms were very nice. Loved the food that we had each day and the Thai food at Siam Restaurant in the resort was really good. I must also commend the staffs, they were friendly and prompt in meeting our request. Overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bronwynang
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our resort on TripAdvisor and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed a "wonderful" stay.

I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our staff who will also be delighted that you enjoyed our traditional Thai hospitality and friendly service

I would like to inform you that "all Returning Guests" to our resorts are entitled to special room rates and bonuses when booking directly with the hotel.

Director of Marketing and Communications

Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our 6th stay in Karon, and our 5th stay at Thavorn Palm Beach. Coming back to the wonderful garden after having stayed at Orchid just around the corner from Thavorn last November was really nice. The garden is so nice and with all the flowers being planted we cannot wait to get to see the many colours. The renovation has helped a lot to some of the problems. There is now no problems with warm Water, no matter when you take af shower. The room are much stylier and up to date. We had a topfloor room on 3rd floor that was a Little bigger that the ordinary rooms, which we liked a lot, but the 4th floor is better, as the view over the sea is excellent up there. The staff is almost the same and still very friendly, and it seems like more people speak English, even though the Russians are dominating the hotel. That is really not that bad as the clientel has changed from the last couple of years. They (Russians) are behaving much better and we didn't have any problems at all, as the sometimes can be rude.

Some issues : The 2 big swimmingpools are not using the overflow system and the many leaves gets stuck in the pool and in the afternoon they can be a little dirty on the surface. But hopefully this will be fixed.

The prices for the rooms have gone up, but the prices on the hotel (bars and eating) are still the same.

The locals seem to be a Little tired ióf the Russians as they don't spend so much Money in the shops and the restaurants seem to have problems with people not paying.

We still like it though, and would only consider goint to Phuket if we can stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soundlite1

Thank you for reviewing our resort on TripAdvisor and for your ongoing support of Thavorn Hotels and Resorts.

Our newly renovated rooms have received excellent feedback from our guests and I am pleased that you liked the fresh new style.

With regards to the overflow system in the swimming pools, I would like to advise you that all of our pools have this system, but during your stay this was under maintenance in the Blue Heaven and Chaba Pools. The system is now functioning correctly and we also have staff clean the pools each morning to remove any leaves floating on the surface.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our resort for your sixth visit in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked a deluxe renovated room via the website and received an early bird discount. Was thrilled when we arrived early and were allowed to check in early and were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite which was awesome. The resort is beautiful. There is loads of attention to detail and care is taken to maintain the beautiful gardens and pool area. It would get a 10/10 for me if it weren't for a few things...1. Our shower drain was blocked on the first day which resulted in my husband slipping and bruising his leg and arm and hitting his head. Fortunately it wasn't me that fell, being 5 months pregnant! 2. The swim up pool bar was not open for the first few days of our stay, no idea why not when this is an advertised feature on the website. 3. The 'select' tv signal was very poor and grainy and the movies kept freezing. We had to have the technicians out 3 times and it never improved. Other than those 3 complaints I loved our stay. The location is perfect and if we do return one day, this time with our kids, this would be our first choice of accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank kerryFonseca

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we were able to offer you an early check in and upgrade to our suite room type.

I am glad that you enjoyed the beautiful natural surroundings of our resort and I am sorry to hear that you experienced a few problem during you stay. I will raise these issues with the management to ensure that our usual high standards are maintained in the future.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the very near future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, the first one was in 1996 and the next in 2005.

The renovated room was comfortable and spacious, also the bathroom, although the big window facing the room was maybe a bit too much. There was a separate curtain, but it wasn't very stylish. The room was very clean and we had a beautiful view to the garden and pool and you could also see the sea.

The garden and the pool area is beautiful and well kept. Full of flowers, trees, little animals, statues, water features, you name it. The beach was just across the road.

The breakfast was good, but not lavish. All the restaurants were quiet, only a few clients at a time, if any. There are plenty of restaurants in the neighbourhood.

The staff is friendly and they all always greet you. The reception area is large and beautiful.

So why the 'but'?
Well, the telephone in the room didn't work during our stay (11 nights) at all. We reported it as soon as we noticed it - about the 4th day. Someone came and changed the whole telephone, but it never worked anyway.

The quality of the tv picture was really poor, the sound disappeared occasionally and the picture showed sometimes only pixels. There were only very few channels in English.

There was no wi-fi in the room, in the lobby it was free of charge though.

Then the pool towels..there were two pool towels in the room. If you wanted them to be changed, you had to ask housekeeping to change them. Well, since our phone wasn't working we walked to the reception to ask them to be changed. We were promised new towels, but didn't get them. Asked again the next day- no towels. The third time I went to the reception to ask for a change the lady asked me where the used ones were - well of course they were in the room. For heaven's sake, I wasn't going to steal the towels. We then got the new towels, but didn't try to have them changed any more :)

There should be more sunbeds and umbrellas by the pools. The (russian) guests reserved all the shady beds early in the morning, showed up for an hour or two in the afternoon and kept the beds for them for the whole day. There should be a guard or someone watching the pools, the kids for example were jumping in the pool from the (closed) swim-in bar counter, adults were in the pool with beer bottles etc...

Over all, it bothered me a bit that there were All kinds of threats for the guests. If you do this or that, you will be charged. If you lose your key you will have to pay that. If the laundry bag (!), slippers, robes, pool towels etc. aren't in your room at the end of your stay you will be charged this. I mean, if I pay nearly 7000thb per night, I can afford to buy my own towels or whatever. I sometimes felt like a criminal there.

These are small things, but they are the 'but'. Nothing basically wrong with the hotel, in principal, but..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ode N

Thank you for reviewing our resort on TripAdvisor and for your continued support of Thavorn Hotels and Resorts.

Our newly renovated rooms have received excellent feedback from our guests and I am pleased that you found the new designs comfortable and spacious.

Our resort concept is " Where Thai Tradition Meets Nature " so it is always nice to hear that our guests have enjoyed the exotic gardens, wildlife and our traditional thai hospitality.

I am very sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the telephone and television during your last stay and with regards to the issues of the towels, our staff were following the correct operational procedure, but it was unfortunate that this was compounded by the issue with the telephone system.

It is also Hotel Procudure to have a standard charge applicable in the event of any lost keys or items that are missing from the room inventory when the guest checks out.I can assure you that it is not the intention of our staff to make guests feels threatened in any way and please accept my apologies if this was the case.

With regards to the issue of a swimming pool guard, we do have members of staff walking around the pools and I have asked the management to remind staff to be vigilant to any behaviour that might cause inconvenience to other guests in the hotel.

I am pleased to inform you that we do currently offer complimentary wi-fi for our guests in the lobby and restaurant areas of the resort and we plan to introduce wi-fi to the guest rooms during the coming months.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our resort for your forth visit in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were accomodated there by Russian Tez Tour for 12 days. Nice location in front of the beach and 5 min walking to the local shopping nd restaurants centre. Very quite and relaxing place, we always enjoyed calm rest at night. Unfortunately room service was honestly one of the worst experienced. As soon as we arrived they gave us a room in front of the trafficked road, we complained and were given a much better one. The day after to have the room made we had to go and ask at the reception. We stated that we usually woke up early and would like to have a rest in th afternoon due to the hot weather so it would have been good to have the room done in the morning, result: everytime to the reception with " please can I have the room done?? " the answer was always yes in 5 minutes and never it was five. Once I threaten to throw out everything from the room. That was the only time they ctually stuck to five minutes. For the rest is good, nice and varied breakfast, friendly smiling staff and so on, absolutely fantastic orchid garde with parrots and birds. It s a pity for the room service, the only black pot.

Room Tip: Ground floor by the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of our resort.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the quiet and peaceful ambience of our exotic garden resort and the convenience of the location.

I am dissapointed that you feel our room/housekeeping service didn't met your expectations. I will raise your comments at the next management meeting and where appropriate necessary training will be provided to our team.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the very near future where I trust our normal high standards of service will surpass your expectations.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nice hotel right on the Karon Beach.
Beautiful area with several swimming pools and a wonderful tropical garden. Breakfasts are OK as well as the service in general. Although, Spa and The Gym were not really functioning.
The hotel and the area are rather quiet at nights but there are nice restaurants and bars around (5-10 min. walk)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BokaMoscow
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the tropical gardens and pool areas in our spacious resort grounds. We strive to create an atmosphere where guests can relax in peaceful, safe green open spaces and for the consideration of the peace and quiet of our guests, we do not have the lively nightlife in the resort. However, as you mentioned, there are many bars and restaurants close by within 5-10 minutes walk.

Roger Gibson
Director of Marketing and Communications.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

It is hard to comprehend some of the reviews below, as they do not match up to my experience.

The Thavorn Palm is a traditionally Thai-designed low-rise hotel set in beautiful, spacious, well-kept gardens, with multiple swimming pools and plenty of shade from the palm trees and umbrellas. The whole resort is kept very clean. I love hotels with space, attractive grounds and easy beach access, so this place was perfect. The beach is just over the road at the back of the hotel so a matter of seconds from the pool area - it is an unspoilt, quiet, clean beach, lined with foliage rather than hotels. The sea does get a little rough, but that can be fun.

The location is great with the the local shops, restaurants and massage salons of Karon to the left and right and Kata a little further to the left (but still only a short walk away). Patong is a 10 minute tuk tuk ride away, but you would only go there for the nightlife.

Breakfast is delicious. The room we had was very nice - newly decorated and with a view of the sea in the distance. There was no bath (although they did provide bath foam). The air con was very good. There could have been more English TV channels. Also wifi in the room would have been nice.

The hotel is in the midst of renovation. It was the first modern hotel on Phuket and so is in need of an update. It did not disrupt our stay. There was no noise. We would occasionally turn a corner and find a mound of rubble and a part of the hotel we didn't know existed and which was currently out of bounds, but this did not affect us as everything we needed was working. I'm sure when it is complete it will be fantastic. We visited in late November and the hotel was eerily quiet. The hotel's Old Siam Thai restaurant was open but not sufficiently publicised so consequently not many people used it.

The staff were friendly and tried their best but we couldn't get much sense out of reception when we asked them various questions. True, we should know basic Thai, but they really should know basic English in their line of work. We found the staff in the beauty salon particularly unhelpful. My friend had a pedicure and half way through they informed her that they could not put any colour on because it was all locked in the cupboard and the boss had the key! This sounded unlikely and they could have mentioned this before and we would have gone elsewhere.

Service by the pool bar also could be better - it would be nice if they came to you rather than you having go to the bar. Also, the pool bar music is atrocious - when we were there it was terrible 90s pop on repeat (Britney, Justin et. al). Occasionally it was changed for Thai music but the bad stuff invariably returned. Also they did not provide a bottle opener in the room but loitered for a tip for bringing one up!

We had no arguments over the minibar or hotel bill.

Despite these few criticisms, our holiday was excellent and we loved this place. It was very good value for money. I would definitely return, especially once the renovation is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room with a sea view, as high up as possible
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank krystalremedy

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our traditional Thai design, tropical gardens and pool areas. Our concept is to provide spacious, clean resort grounds where guests can relax in peaceful, safe green open spaces, so it is nice to hear that you could take advantage of this.

We take feedback regarding the standard of our service very seriously and where necessary further training will be provided to our staff, especially in English Language Training, to ensure a high standard of service for all our guests.

Roger Gibson
Director of Marketing and Communications.