“Decent hotel but run like Fawlty Towers”

Thavorn Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #34 of 133 Hotels in Karon
Sydney, Australia
“Decent hotel but run like Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Firstly, the pluses: the hotel environs are well looked after; it is directly across from the beach and the breakfasts are pretty good. However, if the rooms were only looked after as well as the gardens and pool areas that would be a major improvement. And do NOT , go for a "standard" room which is in reality sub-standard and either in dire need of renovation (one of the "standard" rooms we were forced to take) or grubby (the other "standard" room the thrid person in our party was forced to take.
But the real problem with this property is not so much the physical state of the buildings but the attitude of much of the front-line staff.
We had "deluxe" accommodation confirmed almost 2 months before our arrival and upon checking in we were asked to wait whilst our reservation was processed; we were given a welcome drink. So far so good, except that 15 minutes later we were still waiting and who knows how long we would have been waiting had I not walked up to the front desk and asked what was happening with our room. the response was "we don't have a record of your reservation" (despite us having printed confirmations which we showed them.) When our amazement was expressed at this situation the story changed to "no deluxe rooms available" due to an unstated "problem with water." Fearing something was not right we asked if we could see the deluxe rooms in any case just so that we knew what they were like, at which point staff either went silent, pretended not to hear or lost their English language capacity.
As we arrived late at night we decided to settle for the standard room for the night, hoping that, as requested, we would be moved into the deluxe rooms as paid and arranged for. On being chaperoned to our rooms one of the check-in staff complained that "Marketting always do this to us, they overbook ." When I remarked that this was not what her colleague had told us she too went silent.
The "standard" rooms were small, dark, basic, the bathrooms dirty and the television didn't work. Nothing better can be said about them I'm afraid.
Although the hotel website advertises that it has internet access we had to purchase this. Fair enough. However it didn't work. A telephone call to complain about this was met with, "It doesn't work in the standard room." Why then would you sell it to me knowing that it wouldn't work in the very room you were sending us to? Again silence; or maybe it was indifference as this seemed to be the most common response from front-line staff.
The next day we were moved in to the deluxe rooms and yes, the internet did work -- for two hours out of five days. It didn't work in our room, or in the public areas of the hotel where we were told it would work, nor even in the hotel's dedicated internet "lounge." It was more efficient for us to walk outside of the resort and pay for very good internet access on top of the money we had already forked out for the hotel internet.
Whilst outside the resort I wrote a letter of complaint to hotel and resort management and their marketing department . I am yet to receive a response. Perhaps the indifference of staff is a mandatory requirement for employment as they seem to have been trained to look the other way, to hide, to lie, to blame others or to just not give a damn. None of these are the qualities which holiday-makers look for to make their vacation a positive one.
With so many options in Phuket there is no way I could recommend tis property in any way.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dfag30
ThavornPB, Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Sawasdee kha…..
Thank you for your post. We are glad that you could enjoy several aspects of resort such as the prime location located just opposite Karon beach, our breakfast variety and beautiful grounds.

Whilst there was an unfortunate mis-communication between the Reservations and the Marketing department over your booking, the large majority of our check-ins run smoothly without problems. Thavorn management and staff have looked into how this incident happened to ensure this does not happen again.

With regards to the standard rooms, please note that we are in the process of renovating them. This is a gradual process that is difficult to do when a hotel is running at high occupancy as obviously rooms need to be vacant in order for work to be carried out on them. However, the standard rooms offer good value for the low price, as guests are able to enjoy all the same benefits our resort has to offer such as the prime location, 5 swimming pools, free shuttle bus to Phuket town and all in beautiful natural surroundings by Karon beach.

During your stay we unfortunately did experience temporary problems with internet coverage. With regards to your contact with front desk staff, please note that English is their second language, so when situations arise which require more complex use of English their immediate reaction will be to shy away. This reaction should not be taken as indifference, but is in custom to Thai culture which is non-confrontational and where any type of open dispute is frowned upon.

In accordance to our hotel management policy, we aim to handle and resolve such problems as quickly as possible. Therefore when resort staff and the Marketing department had received your letter of complaint, they responded straight away by escalating your case to the resort’s General Manager who then actioned your upgrade to a deluxe room the very next morning. In addition, Thavorn management issued a full refund for your first nights stay as well as a complimentary Thai set dinner, fruit basket and bottle of sparkling wine as a token for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Thavorn Hotels & Resorts Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 20, 2011

nice hotel -with very nice pools and gardens

in house 3 restaurants with delicious food
the varity of food during breakfast was big -more than other asian hotel
of course friendly staff

i did not mention the beach--as i only used it for a walk
hope to be back in july with daughter

• Stayed March 2011
ThavornPB, General Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Sawasdee kup……..Thanks for your compliments here on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter in July, hopefully then you will have time for a swim at the beach too :)

Rgds,
(General Manager)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 25, 2010

stayed with my family..2 kids..a very nice hotel..check in was breeze..room was cozy and nice..very comfortable..view of pool and beach was good.the staff and housekeeping was excellent.breakfast had good choices and good food.the pool is great for kids and the location near the beach is so convinenient for swimming.many good restaurants nearby..away from the busy area of patong...really good for family...had a small problem during check out due mis communication but was solved prompty by the duty manager..really impressed with the standard and service...my total and honest compliment to this hotel.thanks ...mahendraan@hotmail.com

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
ThavornPB, General Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Hi Mahendraan,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your compliments here on TripAdvisor. We are glad you found our resort to be a ‘great place’ to stay and were impressed with our standards and service. As you mentioned there are many features to our resort that make it great for families, such as the choice of pools including kids pools, kids play area and babysitting services.

There is now an even wider variety of cuisine available in-house, with our new Mexican Restaurant ‘Mariachi’ and the newly renovated ‘Old Siam Restaurant’ which serves authentic Thai cuisine. We hope you and your family will visit us again and have the chance to try these new additions!

Regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I am certain this hotel was absolutely gorgeous about 60 years ago, but unfortunately it has not seen any upkeep of rooms since then I daresay, as the rooms were in a terrible state of repair. Cracks, dirty walls, a revolting bath - mainly because it had paint peeling off of where you are supposed to sit and so it looked very dirtry although I think the cleaners are not at fault because I saw one cleaning a bath thoroughly it just looks dirty because of the old state it was in (which was the most disappointing of all as I was so looking forward to relaxing in my lovely bath, as I dont have one at home). Everything in the room including the furniture looked old and in dire need of a renovation. Also, when I arrived and looked out my window I was faced with a view of the rusty old decaying backs of the rooms and airconditioners of the units in front of me. Luckily I was able to move to another room with a poolside view within a couple of days, but the state of the rooms was just as bad. My phone also used to ring at ungodly hours of the morning but no-one was there when I would answer it. Obviously wake up calls for other rooms were patching into mine - very annoying to say the least. The grounds were okay, but could also use some better maintenance to really get it up to the standard I am sure it used to be in. The hall-ways were in shocking states of disrepair. My first breakfast at the buffet was also a nightmare, as there was actually no seating available for me, and when I alerted the staff that I had no-where to sit down, they just shrugged and walked away. I walked around for half an hour with my plates before anyone left a table so I could have a seat. I was not informed of any of the services, which unforttunately I discovered by mistake my last day and morning at the hotel. One thing that I was happy about is that it was focussed on eco-tourism, and the staff were generally friendly. I can see it used to be a beautiful and classy hotel, but it certainly is no longer worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ThavornPB, General Manager at Thavorn Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Sawadee Kup…

Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor, and bringing certain issues to our attention. We are glad that you enjoyed the eco-tourism and nature in our resort, indeed the natural surroundings including our orchid garden are very popular with guests.

With regards to the condition of your room we are currently in the process of renovating the older rooms. With over 200 rooms it is a gradual process which we are undertaking zone by zone in the resort. The high occupancy rates we have been experiencing this year also slows down the process, as we have to wait until rooms become vacant in order to carry out work.

Please accept our apologies for being woken up by your guestroom telephone. Occasionally, we find that guests phone each other’s rooms and mistakably the wrong ones, which upon realizing put down the receiver without saying anything. The resort’s wake up call system is an electronic switchboard system and our Front Office team only telephone guestrooms as a follow up call If the automated call was not answered’.

Please accept our apologies for the unavailability of seating during our peak breakfast hours and our staff’s usual high standard of Thai hospitality going a bit astray. As the resort is experiencing high occupancy at the moment, our team adds additional seating as and when required and we certainly will bring together the breakfast team to remind them to be more attentive to waiting guests to ensure that they can be accommodated as quickly as possible.

If you visit Phuket again in the future, we would like to welcome you back to see the improvements we have made been making so you can see Thavorn Palm Beach Resort in its true beauty.

Thank you again for taking the time to post we do appreciate it.

Regards
(General Manager)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed December 3, 2010

WE went for 3,5 weeks in October to our favorite hotel along the coastline of Karon Beach on Phuket. We have been here 3 times before and we still enjoy it. Yes there are too many Russians that don't relly know how to behave and yes some rooms could be out of date (depending how you like your room) and yes there are problems with staff not fully understanding you. But hey, you get the best garden facilities and swimmingpools in a not too big area, and you are very close to the best part of Karon beach (1 min walk) and you are close to both Karon shops and restaurant (south part) and to Kata (north) shops and restaurant. We feel we are in the middle of everything on that hotel, and now the new manager told us that they will start refurbishing the rooms. We still like the Deluxe rooms we are staying in, but other feel that they need som updoing. Maybe the tiles could be newer and have the times colors, but that will be an indidual taste.
We like it a lot and to the price you pay , we believe that it is worth the money.
Going back next year, looking forward to see the staff again and what changes that have been done.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Review of Thavorn Palm beach

We love this place. This is the second time we have stayed here. Beautiful hotel with large rooms. The tropical gardens and grounds are immaculate. The pools are clean and spread throughout the resort. They run a free shuttle bus to Phuket town and Patong. Karon Beach, just across the street from the hotel, is quiet and no hawkers. Also close to supermarket and restaurants. All of the hotel staff were professional and friendly. For the price, I can't imagine that there is a nicer place in Phuket!
We'll be back with the family again next year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband and I spent 10 days in this hotel. The hotel is just beautiful and the staff is great. Beautiful gardens and very very nice pools. Karon beach is quiet comparing to Patong but is perfect for a couple who just want to relax. Plus you have the beach crossing the street.
Food is great and the Deluxe Rooms as well. I don't know about all the rooms but the one we got was just great, huge and very clean. It is true the room and the bathroom were not very new but they were not old either, and they were very well maintained and clean (and I am extremely picky with rooms and bathrooms). If we ever found a towel that appeared to be not that clean the staff was more than welcomed to change it.
We would be happy to go back there unless we decide to spend holidays in busy and crazy Patong which would be nice as well but if we want a nice, relaxing and romantic getaway again, this is a perfect place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Andaman Seaview Hotel
Andaman Seaview Hotel
#21 of 133 in Karon
Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa
Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa
Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Thavorn Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!