Firstly, the pluses: the hotel environs are well looked after; it is directly across from the beach and the breakfasts are pretty good. However, if the rooms were only looked after as well as the gardens and pool areas that would be a major improvement. And do NOT , go for a "standard" room which is in reality sub-standard and either in dire need of renovation (one of the "standard" rooms we were forced to take) or grubby (the other "standard" room the thrid person in our party was forced to take.
But the real problem with this property is not so much the physical state of the buildings but the attitude of much of the front-line staff.
We had "deluxe" accommodation confirmed almost 2 months before our arrival and upon checking in we were asked to wait whilst our reservation was processed; we were given a welcome drink. So far so good, except that 15 minutes later we were still waiting and who knows how long we would have been waiting had I not walked up to the front desk and asked what was happening with our room. the response was "we don't have a record of your reservation" (despite us having printed confirmations which we showed them.) When our amazement was expressed at this situation the story changed to "no deluxe rooms available" due to an unstated "problem with water." Fearing something was not right we asked if we could see the deluxe rooms in any case just so that we knew what they were like, at which point staff either went silent, pretended not to hear or lost their English language capacity.
As we arrived late at night we decided to settle for the standard room for the night, hoping that, as requested, we would be moved into the deluxe rooms as paid and arranged for. On being chaperoned to our rooms one of the check-in staff complained that "Marketting always do this to us, they overbook ." When I remarked that this was not what her colleague had told us she too went silent.
The "standard" rooms were small, dark, basic, the bathrooms dirty and the television didn't work. Nothing better can be said about them I'm afraid.
Although the hotel website advertises that it has internet access we had to purchase this. Fair enough. However it didn't work. A telephone call to complain about this was met with, "It doesn't work in the standard room." Why then would you sell it to me knowing that it wouldn't work in the very room you were sending us to? Again silence; or maybe it was indifference as this seemed to be the most common response from front-line staff.
The next day we were moved in to the deluxe rooms and yes, the internet did work -- for two hours out of five days. It didn't work in our room, or in the public areas of the hotel where we were told it would work, nor even in the hotel's dedicated internet "lounge." It was more efficient for us to walk outside of the resort and pay for very good internet access on top of the money we had already forked out for the hotel internet.
Whilst outside the resort I wrote a letter of complaint to hotel and resort management and their marketing department . I am yet to receive a response. Perhaps the indifference of staff is a mandatory requirement for employment as they seem to have been trained to look the other way, to hide, to lie, to blame others or to just not give a damn. None of these are the qualities which holiday-makers look for to make their vacation a positive one.
With so many options in Phuket there is no way I could recommend tis property in any way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a few steps from Karon Beach at an unrivalled beachfront location, Thavorn Palm Beach Resort offers colonial style rooms set amidst lush, tropical gardens, 45 mins from Phuket International Airport, 10 mins from Patong Beach and close to major attractions. Having dedicated most of the extensive grounds to green areas, the peaceful grounds feel secluded, yet with local bars, restaurants and amenities within easy walking distance, you are never isolated and enjoy the best of both worlds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Thavorn Palm Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thavorn Palm Beach Hotel Karon
- Thavorn Palm Beach Karon
- Thavorn Palm Beach Resort Phuket/Karon