“Beautiful but lacks fundamentals & service”

Centara Villas Phuket
Ranked #37 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The pros

Great view - get a sea view villa or better, the views are amazing
Grounds - they are amazing, large trees and beautiful rocks
Location - close to Patong 300 baht in a taxi and close to Karon, 200 baht. Despite being on a cliff you can walk down around 150 stairs to the beach where you can use the sister hotel (Centara Grands) facilitates, however very hard walking back up, im 29 play football and struggled in the heat one day we just got a cab back up. there should be a free shuttle or something
One Member of Staff - unfortunately i dont know his name, but they will know who he is, he is the very strong man who carries your cases down or up hundreds of stairs to your room and seems to always be working. He is amazing, very helpful, caring and willing to go out his way to help you. If it wasn't for him, this place would be getting 2 stars. (if the bosses of Centara Villa read this please give him a pay rise or bonus, and get him to teach the rest about what good customer service is)
The Maids - they were brilliant, room was really clean and she even cleaned our shoes of sand etc, really appreciated that

Cons
Reception - checking process, they made me dig through my emails to get booking confirmation to email to them although they had my passport. In addition they generally weren't very helpful throughout the stay, sometimes they were rude particularly when you called them, hanging up the phones etc they didnt grasp the english language very well, which i dont think helped. Booking cabs you would get inconsistent info, 1 minute being quoted 1400 to get to big bhudda each way and then being told 1000 to do that and elephant treeking, made no sense to me!!
Breakfast - its awful, my other half didn't go again after day 1 and i only ate toast when i went. They served cold beans and generally had a poor selection. Also they didnt seem to want to top up any of the food or drink, like they had a target to meet. I got there at 9am one day and pretty much everything was gone, inlcuding drink. I was just having toast but there was no jam left so asked a lady to get some. She didnt and instead just stood around so 5 minutes later I asked another guy who was very helpful and got me some and made me some new toast.
Wifi - i dont think you should be made to pay for wifi in respectable hotels, this should come as standard. Also if you are going to sell it at least make it good, it was very slow and you had to log in time you stopped using it with you room number and password.
The Room - aircon was not good enough, it was too hot from 2 - 7pm, it couldnt cope with the heat outside. There was no bath. No many places to put things and we had red ants coming out of our sink everynight.
The Stairs - they are really hard work, and there are a lot of them. Make sure youre fit and able to stay here.
Customer Service - generally when i stay at good hotels i feel a real warmth from the staff and i am made to feel like they will help me with anything. In this place i felt more like a cash cow, all they wanted to do was make money off me and boost Centara Profits. (excluding the guy mentioned in the Pros)

The key question, would i stay here again - definitely not.
Would i recommend - no
I would recommend people go here for a thai meal one night before sunset as the view is amazing and the price isnt to bad.

Hope this helps you make ure decision.

Room Tip: choose a sea view or better, tbh if you can afford it get a pool villa as they are at the bottom and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oneza
Centaravillasphuket, Manager at Centara Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

We appreciate your feedback and take on board all your comments constructively.
I am sorry we did not deliver per your expectations.
Your feedback will be shared with the team and issues addressed accordingly.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at the Villas for a week and loved every minute of it. The hotel were more than accommodating fixed our in room wifi and fridge immediately once they had been informed that they weren't working.

The hotel overlooks Karon beach and can be accessed during the day via the footpath - at night the hotel will arrange a cab down for you as you cannot walk it easily.

If you stay you should definitely take advantage of the spa treatments which take place overlooking the sea. It's beautiful.

I had not informed the hotel that it was my birthday but they had noted it upon arrival from my passport and sent a chocolate cake to our room.

Breakfast was included with a large variety. We only had one meal the hotel as we prefer to find local places to eat and instead at a karon each night.

There are a lot of straps to this resort and if you are not able to walk steep steps this may not be the resort for you. I would definitely come back and stay at the resort again and maybe even opt for a pool villa.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nenes84

Reviewed February 19, 2014

A beautiful location overlooking the sea near Karon Beach, Phuket. It is located away from the town, so nice and quiet. While the food and drinks were excellent, they are a bit expensive for Thailand - good Thai food can be had much cheaper! But paying extra to dine al fresco by candlelight overlooking a stunning view and then amble back to your room for a dip in the pool before retiring to a comfortable bed just might be worth it! We will definitely return here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your positive rating and kind comments.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Safe Travels
from the Centara Villas Team!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Just returned from a five night stay as part of an 18 day tour. Our first impression of our Ocean View Villa was disappointing. Whilst the grounds are very lush, beautiful pool area and views from the cliff location, we felt the size, standard and fixtures and fittings were not of a sufficiently good quality. However, we did enjoy our stay, whilst you have to be fit to stay here as the steepness of its location and the number of steps, requires some effort to get around the resort. Our biggest issue with the hotel was the cost of the drinks and food. It is cheap to eat in Thailand, if you do not get sucked in to the tourist traps. This hotel charges excessive prices and as a result we chose not to eat or drink here if possible.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback and take on board all your comments constructively.
I am sorry we did not deliver per your expectations.
Your feedback will be shared with the team and issues addressed accordingly.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed 2 night on may 2013. This is my first time for me trying centara hotels chain and find it very good indeed. What I love most of this villa is the location is just right on the hill steep with vast views of the ocean. With absence of their own beach doesn't make this villa less exciting, in fact we can take a short walk in the jungle to karon beach where the sister hotel centara grand located is. It was a perfect hotel for us since we have our own transport. But for others who come by plane might have difficulties because this hotel quit far from patong and karon itself. There's no shop and restaurant within walking distance except hotel restaurant. Check in was fast with no hassle. But free wifi provided at lobby hotel only. Which is I think abit let down for a 4 star hotel. Our superior villa was great. The ocean view was splendid, bed extremly great and evem the bathroom. I like the bathroom concept even thought missing of bath tub. The surroundings was great with lots of green. It has 2 pools and both are simply great with the main pool have fountain sit juat beside the ocean. Breakfast was good with lots of variety. The only bad thing about this villa is the steep, but mostly will affect elders and people with walking disabilitiy because u have to take stairs to everywhere in the villas. Other than that was just perfect. It was a great stay and I will definitely stay at centara villas again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed here in October '13 for my honeymoon and this resort was amazing! They didn't have the villa available for my entire stay but I was lucky enough to book it for 4 nights. The location of the resort is what made me choose this location. The resort sits on top of a hill overlooking the ocean. Nothing beats waking up to a beautiful sunrise from the convenience of my room. The restaurant and in room dining was just as good as food you would get from the restaurants in town.

The other reason I gave this resort the full 5 stars is because of one particular individual named "Noom" or "Num." He has multiple jobs in the resort so I saw him a lot during our stay. I asked him one day where I can go find fried crickets. He told me of a local market in karon but they didn't have it that day I went in. I let him know that I couldn't find it. He then goes on a 3 hour search during his break to go around the city to find me some! When he showed up at my front door with a bag full of fried crickets, I was in awe with the kind of service and dedication that he went through to make sure my stay here was perfect.

Okay, back to the resort. They have two different restaurants, one is open during breakfast and dinner only and the other is only open during lunch. Both restaurants had amazing food. The one open during lunch overlooks two pools and both pools overlook the ocean. This resort has by far the best view on the island in my opinion.

Overall, I'm glad I chose this resort for my honeymoon because if I went anywhere else, I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as Centara Villas Phuket. THANKS CVP!

Oh and if you're reading this Ross (front desk manager), please tell Noom that we miss him and we still have the watch he bought us!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your positive rating and kind comments.
Safe Travels
from the Centara Villas Team!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed at the Centara Villas after a few days in Bangkok as we knew the down time would be much needed. We had a pool villa (which I think is a must) and spent much of our days just sitting by or swimming in our own pool. Having the evening cocktails and canapes was a nice touch. Everything is incredibly affordable, including room service. Food was great, staff were INCREDIBLY friendly. Loved this hotel. The only downside was that there seemed be a mouse that kept getting into our bathroom and it was difficult to translate what the problem was to the staff. Slight disappointment in the overall experience but we did have the very last villa on the bottom row, so were very secluded and apart from everyone else. Views were breathtaking, quick walk to the beach. Relaxation at its best.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple