“My third time, good.... but not as it was in past”

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is my third stay at Le Meridien and my stay was good.

Location , for me is fantastic, close to Pa-Tong.. but fa enough if you want to be far!!

Room was good, even tought they need some improvement. I was at a deluxe garden, nice , with a very good shower and bathroom.

The best for me is the beach.. PRIVATE... so only for the guest of the hotel..and this for Phuket is a plus!! and very nice and large.

Also breakfast at many restaurants was delicious.

I am an SPG Platinum member , so I always prefer to stay at SPG properties, but this time I didn't received the some plus as the other times i was here !! They did not upgreded my room reservation , and I found that some amenities was lower than in the past ... if i remember well, till last year You can have free cocktails form 6 Pm till late evening ... while now this amenity is only from 6 pM to 7 pm ! one hour! close to the time in wich you could be still in the beach !! so not very useful!!!

Than I asked for a late check out... it was given to me but I had to fight for receiving ( ok maybe the hotel was full) ... but at least I have it , so this was ok.

I also used the fitness center, which was large, full of equipment ... but as always in these country there was too air conditioning !!

At the end I found this hotel still very very good, but maybe they are loosing something ... that if they will continue to loose... it could become a problem for this resort!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear "anguilla"

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us again despite some issues raised. We apologize for our inability to upgrade your room due to unavailability at the time. As to the happy hour on offer at the resort varies once in a while. What was on offer last year was a free drink per stay at anytime while currently our SPG Platinum Members can avail of a free drink between 6-7pm daily. Moreover, we continually do our utmost to understand guests' experiences by adding improved services and facilities. We sincerely appreciate your confidence in us and thank you once again for your continued support. We look forward to your next stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a fantastic place with its own beach surrounded on both sides by hills and trees. Beautiful and peaceful. Awesome pool and thank goodness because it is so HOT here. A 300 Baht quick cab ride and your downtown where the great shopping, restaurants and bars are. Perfect get away.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony facing the back of the hotel. It would be much prettier facing the beac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear "Slammyhagar"

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay. Your kind appraisal of of our location and secluded beach is much appreciated- arguably one of the best beaches in Phuket and the proximity to the shopping districts- made it even more convenient for our guests. Thanks for highlighting all these and for sharing your beautiful photos. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Went away for a long weekend with family and was a great getaway.

The resort has everything on it so no need to leave. Has great restaurants and a fantastic private beach with large pool facilities so you can choose where to relax and it was full but it is so spread out that you really dont notice the amount of people.

We had an interconnecting room and you can hear normal conversations through it but that was the only fault we incurred.

A great getaway

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ASLJH

Dear "ASLJH"

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to have provided you with a great stay. We sincerely appreciate that you and your family chose to spend your long weekend with us. Many thanks for your kind endorsement. We look forward to the pleasure of having you at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort again soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stay here every year for our wedding anniversary and every year we never want to leave. The staff are wonderful and are there whenever you want them without being in your face.
We have made many friends here over the years both staff and return guests.
Food is good with a decent choice.
You can't beat sitting in the Ton Son Bar having a nightcap or two, looking at the beach and the stars, with lanterns in the trees.
I am pleased that the hotel is having some improvements done in order to keep up with the never ending construction of new hotels in Patong.
You are far enough away from Patong to relax but near enough for a night out if you wish.
Can't wait for next year.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMRGlossop_UK

Dear "AMRGlossop_UK"

We are truly glad to read from your review that you had a great experience with us again. Thanks for your kind comments, particularly with regards to the usual warm service of our associates and your dining experience. We sincerely appreciate your confidence in us and we will do our utmost to provide you with great stays each time. We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next wedding anniversary.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Le Meridien Beach Resort is an average hotel. It is a very good average hotel, but do keep in mind that it is average. I say this because if exclusivity, privacy, or luxury is what you are looking for then this is not for you. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a nice, quiet, convenient, well priced family resort in Phuket, then the place is perfect.

As an SPG Gold status member I am entitled to a complimentary upgrade if available at check-in. Upon check-in, I was advised no upgrade was available during the entire length of our stay. I was disappointed and asked them to double check, but after confirming everything was in fact full, we of course accepted the garden view room we had booked. The room felt small and dark, with the balcony looking into a dirt road. Definitely not the place you want to stay in when traveling to Phuket! so the next morning I decided to enquire about a paid upgrade. I had already been informed the next room category (pool view) was full the night before, but at this point I was willing to pay more for the double upgrade (ocen front room). Well, within minutes I was informed that a pool view room was available and that it could be mine right away, FOR A FEE! How convenient! This room type was absolutely not available the night before when the staff knew I was entitled to the free upgrade, but less than 7 hours later when the person checking wasn't aware of my entitlement they could suddenly confirm the upgrade right away!! A Starwood hotel not being honest about having rooms available for upgrade is distasteful, and unprofessional, and basically unacceptable, especially when the hotel is dealing with its brand's most loyal customers.
so I expressed my concerns to the manager, and while he agreed that the room would be mine for no fee, he offered no apology. The pool side view room was great, and I fully recommend considering this as the lowest room type level to book at this hotel (the room is actually both a pool and ocean view all in one!). Had we been stuck in the room that was initially assigned to us it would have been a very unhappy stay.

But let’s leave the incident aside and focus on the hotel!

- One of the nicest things of this place is the private beach. long beach, white sand, very pretty scenery. Once you see how crazy and touristy the beaches are in Phuket, you will feel extremely lucky to have access to this beach. Do wake up early if you can! Arrive before 8am and you will have the entire beach to yourself!!
- The pool is huge and really nice as well and the water temperature is perfect.
- A really cute surprise will arrive at the hotel every day! Valentine, the baby elephant, visits the hotel daily at 1030 and 1530. She/He walks around beach and pool areas for about an hour... really really cute!!
- There are several restaurants at the hotel, with a themed buffet dinner being offered every night at the main restaurant. In my opinion, the buffet dinners are not worth it. Tried the Asian buffet one night and it was terrible.. had a peek at the seafood buffet another night and it didn't look great. BUT do make sure you try the Tom Yum Gum soup from the room menu... we were really surprised at how great this was! the steak sandwich was really good as well. The breakfast buffet didn't look great, but there are no other options really. Also, there is a local beach bar but don't expect any waiters to come to you for orders.
- There is a spa at the hotel but, as expected, it is expensive. There are also several local spas just outside the hotel (a 2 minute walk), which are great value for money, but I would not recommend choosing an oiled massage. I selected one thinking it would be better than the others (it is more expensive), but found it to be a little gross. The oil smelled really disgusting, with the smell being very hard to get rid of.
- The drive from the airport to the hotel is a little long (almost an hour). When we arrived, we took a taxi from the airport. He originally asked us for 2500 baht to drive us to the hotel. After negotiating, he brought that down to1500. However, when going back to the airport at the end of our stay we booked our taxi through the hotel and the cost was 1300 b. My recommendation would be to book the taxi through the hotel before arriving in Phuket, or to negotiate to 1300 or less at the airport.
- Finally, the service was good in general (minus the incident encountered at check-in). The only thing was that several staff members don't understand English very well, and instead of telling you they don't understand you they will just answer your questions without really knowing what they are answering to. They just say “Yes”, or “No”, or point to a random direction instead of making it clear they didn't understand what you just asked them. This was extremely frustrating and came across as rude many times.

Overall, very nice alternative when staying in Phuket (as long as you know what to expect)!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NYCnana
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear "NYCnana"

Thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced at the start of your stay. I do note that upgrades for SPG Gold Programme members are complimentary for ‘preferred’ rooms of the same room type if available. Since Deluxe Pool View is a different room type, this was not offered at the time of check-in. We certainly do our utmost to accommodate requests of this kind but at certain times we are unable to do so. We regret the incomplete information relayed to you upon check-in. We are happy to know that you liked the next room offered and thank you for your appreciation of our facilities and services. We do hope that you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Phuket.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for the right hotel and Phuket, specifically because I wanted to stay in a resort with a private beach, close to Patong. I was very please with my choice to stay at the Le Meridian. Not only was the private beach great (spend any time on the public beach and there is no comparison), the pool at the hotel was huge. There was always plenty of lounge chairs, both on the beach and by the pool. I also splurged for a deluxe beach view room and was glad I did. The private balcony had a perfect view. The room was very clean and comfortable. My only complaint is that they charged for wifi in the room. There is free access in the lobby and other common areas, but the price was approximately 14 usd for 24 hours. While some will find the overall price high, I found the price to be worth it. The restaurants at the hotel were good, but again, pricey (it is a resort, so if you want cheap, you are in the wrong place). There is a shuttle to Patong that costs $6 usd round trip and takes about 20 minutes. The drop point was in the center of Patong and gives you access to all the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear "Jeff H"

We sincerely appreciate that you chose to stay with us during your recent holiday on Phuket Island. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to meet your requirements. Please accept our appreciation for this kind review. There is nothing more rewarding than knowing that our guests had a perfect holiday at the resort. We are pleased that our location, rooms, services and facilities suited your stay. It will definitely be our pleasure to welcome you again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews, I wasn't expecting much from this resort prior to my arrival. I have also visited Thailand many times and have stayed in several of the top resorts such as Amanpuri and Le Meridien Khao Lak. However, my short stay at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort was terrific for several reasons.

First of all, I was greeted with my Starwood gold status and was upgraded to an ocean front room upon arrival for a small fee which had a spectacular view of the pool and beach. It should be noted that this property sits on a secluded beach in a secluded bay which is only used by the resort. The beach has lovely white sand, turquoise water, and perfect waves - not too big and not too small. There are also beach activities for hire such as parasailing, jet skiing, etc. and there are also drink bars to get drinks and ice cream at good prices (these do not belong to the resort). There are several large pools and a nice beachfront restaurant that has tables/chairs on the sand. There is even a baby elephant that comes out around 3pm which you can meet and feed fruit to and get some great pictures. Patong is really close by as well - which has the best shopping, especialy for "fake" purses - so the location is again, ideal. It also has a nice, large fitness facility, kids club, and shops. It should be noted that the the garden view rooms have been remodeld and several of them have partial ocean views.

This resort is ideal for families but would still be fine for couples. It is a very large resort but has so much to offer the large size didn't bother me. The only issue we had was bad plumbing - the water would change colors from clear to dirty and then you would have to wait for the clear water to take a shower! Hopefully, this was a temporary problem that the resort has already resolved.

I would recommend this resort and plan to return in the future.

Room Tip: Garen view rooms are remodeled and some have a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear "Renee C"

Thanks for your kind review. I am delighted to know that we've exceeded your expectations and your initial perception was reciprocated with a terrific stay.
Many thanks for your appraisal of our services and facilities. Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort also offers a complete range of recreations facilities, 10 dining venues and a dedicated kids centre for our 4-12 year-old guests. We are certainly a family-friendly resort and have been included in Fodor Travels' top 10 family-friendly resorts and Holiday's with Kids Australia in 2011. Moreover, our location and the privacy it provides is also perfect for a couple's getaway.
It is indeed a privilege to receive such confidence from such well-traveled guest and we always do our utmost to exceed guests needs and expectations. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we appreciate your time in posting this on TripAdvisor. We look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!