I stayed here for 5 nights in January 2011, my primary goal wasn't to see Phuket but to stay at a decent hotel and just relax for a couple days. Thanks to this hotel I was able to, but it isn't flawless.
The check in procedure went smoothly and I was given a welcome drink (non-alcoholic juice) and gentleman showed me to my room eventhough I insisted not to. I didn't have any luggage and I do know how to read signs. The room was located near the pool at the highest altitude. There are some elevators but pretty far away from my room so I prefered to use the stairs. Being located on a hill, one of the advantages is has some nice views, but also: you'll have to do some excercise in order to get to your room. Of course I didn't mind, but I know there might a few who do.
The room was quite small, but clean. The TV was of a good size, but of course dated (I still wonder WHEN are flat screen TV:s going to be standard at hotels!?). Balcony sizes differ but mine was large enough for a few people and you could see the sunset over the sea from there so it was pretty nice. Overall, the room is average but won't disappoint you (you get what you pay for).
The hotel has 3 pools divided into two pool areas. During my stay there were always sunbeds available for everyone and no need to rush in the morning just to get one. Most of the tourists are Scandinavian package tourists, generally families, so it's quite calm. You do have a chance to relax and that really made my days. The breakfast buffet was a bit crowded, though. And some food pretty cold too, so don't expect too much.
The location is pretty good. Unfortunately there aren't too many beach side hotels in Karon, most of the hotels are located 'on the wrong side of the street', meaning you'll have to put some clothes on, do some walking and cross the street in order to get to the beach. That's a minus, especially since the steet is pretty busy and it takes 5 minutes to get there and just 5 seconds to get to the pool. At night, all of this doesn't matter of course, and then I'd say it's a superb location for the nightlife in northern Karon. It's a very short walk to Soi Central, where you'll find a couple of restaurants, bars and shops. It's not as calm as it seems, but of course nothing compared to Patong. For families it's a pretty good spot, although sex tourism is a problem even here.
There's a business center at the hotel, but they charge you 150 baht per hour for Internet. In the year of 2011, I think it's basic manners to not charge anything at all for this. And the price is ridicolus by thai standards, the price is hundreds of percents higher than a random Internet cafe down the street. Regarding prices, I must say that the minibar prices are OK. Mineral water is cheap and they will even give you 0.5l per day for free!
On departure I was able to book the hotel's airport transfer for 700 baht which is 50 baht cheaper than the limousine service I took from the airport. The ride takes about an hour.
Overall, it's an average resort and you'll get what you pay for. Keep that in mind and you will not get disappointed. I would recommend this hotel for anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort is one of the best-valued vacation resorts in Phuket. The resort is situated at Karon beach on the hillside among the coconut groves overlooking Karon beach and Karon lagoon. We offer luxurious accommodations amid a lavish setting. You will truly enjoy seeing the sunset beyond Karon lagoon and walking along the beautiful fine sand beach of Karon beach. Resign yourself to the comfort of an exclusively appointed hillside resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Hotel Karon
- Best Western Karon
- Karon Best Western
- Phuket Best Western
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort Karon