We spent 10 days here, with a group of friends who had all stayed here before – this was the third time for some of them, and in fact, one of the couples we travelled to Phuket with this year, we actually MET at this hotel last year and made such good friends we now travel together and visit in one another’s home states. So, this should tell you, how friendly this hotel is!
To the hotel itself though. We stayed in a superior room (about 50 AUD per night) on the third level, immediately by the pool. The hotel has two other pools on a lower level, these are usually quite crowded. The pool on the third level is the quietest and smallest, and with it just outside of our doors, it was very much like our own private pool. The room itself is nothing special, but clean and well serviced. The bathrooms in particularly are pretty out-dated. Overall though the rooms are value for money in a very comfortable hotel. We have stayed in much nicer accomodation in Karon for about the same price, but would come back to this one because of its overall value.
Some small things to watch out for … Firstly, the hotel is built into the hillside, ’scaling’ it. There are a lot of stairs and ramps, even just going through reception and to the first level of rooms. Even to get to the elevator is a long steep walk. Great for your calf muscles, less fun if returning form Karon after too many cocktails, and not on at all if you are impaired or have difficulty walking. Secondly, the ladder in the pool on level three broke while we were there, and was not really fixed properly, I called up a repairman from the reception and he took care of it, but it was a temporary fix only you could feel the ladder was loose and unstable. Lastly, my husband ordered room service in one night he was tired and didn’t come out for dinner with the group – the plate with its leftover food was left outside of our room for more than two days, even though the room was serviced and made up daily. Even the birds and the hotel cat wouldn’t go near the leftovers by then.
Those are pretty small complaint though, and won’t stop us from returning same time next year (or sooner!). On a plus side, directly outside the hotel is a taxi and tuk tuk station. Both last trip and this one we negotiated with a driver to take care of us for the week – we arranged several trips with one lady (her name is pronounced Koutt) who was fabulous, very funny and enjoyable to drive around with. For example, she took 5 of us on a half day drive around 4/5 beaches, bars and restaurants, for about 1400 baht (under 300 baht each).
The location, being able to book the “pool” rooms, and the cost all added up to excellent value. Go ask for Koutt!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort is one of the best-valued vacation resorts in Phuket. The resort is situated at Karon beach on the hillside among the coconut groves overlooking Karon beach and Karon lagoon. We offer luxurious accommodations amid a lavish setting. You will truly enjoy seeing the sunset beyond Karon lagoon and walking along the beautiful fine sand beach of Karon beach. Resign yourself to the comfort of an exclusively appointed hillside resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Hotel Karon
- Best Western Karon
- Karon Best Western
- Phuket Best Western
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort Karon