We stayed at this property in October 2012. The facilities appeared 4 star and the room was well fitted out with what you would expect. However you quickly discover the sewerage plant next door does send out some odd smells at times, probably bringing it down to 3.5 star overall.
The restaurant breakfast was ok but again fitting a 3 or 3.5 star property, and service was slow. Other food options are overpriced and of average quality. For an awesome meal head next door to the Pacific Club Resort, the food there is first class and great value. In fact I checked the room prices at the Pacific Club and they were the same as this resort, and believe me when you read the rest of my review you may be advised to stay there or somewhere else.
Staff at the hotel are pretty unresponsive, though they did help us organise a day driver at a decent price to tour around.
The majorly annoying and scary issues came later. I had read about the death of the man by electrocution in 2011 at the property but decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt based on reviews. However the annoyances grew throughout our stay and ended in a violent scenario.
Firstly over breakfast on day 4 of our stay an Indian man approached us with a pyramid selling scheme. chatting to other guests he had bothering everyone all morning, yet staff did nothing.
Secondly another day we came back to the room to find a ceramic soap holder that had been placed in the shower had fallen and smashed. The resort charged us for it, even though it was a stupid choice of soap holder and we had nothing to do with it's damage.
Lastly, we had paid 600 baht for our taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. We approached the resort about a transfer back to the airport when we were leaving. They quoted us 1200 baht. As a result I advised staff this was twice what we had paid on the way in, and they said it was non-negotiable. I said I would source a taxi to take us back.
We had met a nice taxi driver who lived 30 minutes from Karon a few days before, I called him and he said he would take us back to the airport for 700 baht. On the day of our departure, he arrived after a long drive to take us on our way. However the transfer staff at the resort began yelling at the taxi driver, an argument ensued and it appeared it was about to become violent, the taxi driver took our packed bags from the rear of his car and dumped them on the ground. He said 700 was not enough for the airport. I told him I would pay 800 baht to him, but would not allow him to be bullied by the resort staff. More arguing occurred in Thai and he said no and rove off quickly. The resort staff then said they would take us to the airport for 800 baht. I agreed through fear alone and was so happy when our plane left the ground.
This resort has a long way to go to become good quality. My final review 1 out of 5 stars, disgusting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 'Phunawa All Suites Resort' is your best choice for deluxe accommodation with space and comfort at Karon Beach for the simple reason that 'ALL' our rooms are 'SUITES' built in a tranquil environment with a huge pool. Every suite guarantees lots of space, excellent comfort and elegance through luxurious and timeless design using tropical hard-wood. 'Your' resort is just a few minutes by foot from famous Karon Beach and is truly a perfect place for all sun-seekers, couples, families, honeymooners and also romantic couples who expect privacy, luxury and pampering! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Phunawa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dewa Karon Beach Phuket Hotel Karon
- Phunawa Resort Phuket/Karon