The pictures and description of this hotel look fantastic online, but we feel that this hotel is not yet finished and needs some major work before it is fit to be called a 4 star hotel. It is definitely not of the same standard as other Dewa hotels.
Even before the tragic death of a Russian man, we had huge concerns about this place and insisted on being transferred to another hotel. Scroll down the reviews to find the link to the newspaper reports on this.
Initially on arriving, the hotel looked lovely, just like the pictures. The pathways to the groundfloor apartments are concrete slabs with big gaps in between, which means that you cannot roll suitcases behind you or push pushchairs. The complex is set on multiple levels with lots of steps whether you are going up or on the ground floor and even some strange stepovers in the middle of an otherwise flat pathway.
The first apartment (1212) had no privacy at all. The terrace was only accessible in front of the attached apartment via a few slabs laid carelessly on top of each other. In front of our apartment was a huge step up. The terrace for both apartments had no division and so the young children next door had free range right across, and whilst they were lovely kids, we did start to feel responsible for their safety and did not have the relaxed start to our stay as we had hoped. The living room was not really large enough for 3 adults which we had booked and one of the bathrooms had extensive water damage. There are windows on 3 sides and 2 look out on building sites and the third onto the pool, which would have been very nice if we didn't have children running up and down on our terrace.
On the plus side once the water damage is sorted, the terrace and the privacy issues, then it would be a lovely apartment, but it is definitely not a 4 star apartment yet.
We asked to be moved and this was done for us whilst we were on a trip the following day.
This apartment was far superior (1611) much better living space and its own terrace with sunbeds. Unfortunately it quickly became clear that this apartment had major problems. We began to smell raw sewage both inside the apartment and on the terrace, once informed the staff came quickly to sort this out. Unfortunately the smell quickly comes back along with unwanted visitors (cockroaches). At one point there were more than 5 staff in the apartment trying to sort the problem. But again, the problem quickly reoccurred and by this time we had totally had enough - our relaxing end of Thailand holiday had been ruined. This sewage problem could not have occurred just during our stay and the management must have moved us into the apartment with the full knowledge that this was the case and are probably still putting guests in there.
We had contacted Sawadee via email and they said if we wanted to check out we would still have to pay the full cost of the stay. We spoke to the manager who came to the room to try to assist us. The hotel was fully booked, so he checked others in the locality and also the other Dewa hotel near to the airport, but no joy. He also contacted Sawadee for us and helped us to arrange a move to the Old Phuket, although we did have to pay an extra amount to do this.
The hotel taxi took us over to the Old Phuket and it was such a welcome change and we were very happy with the move.
This hotel does have all the makings of an excellent place to stay, but only after these major problems have been sorted out. We wanted to relax and hang about around the pool for the last few days of our holiday, but this was not to be.
The breakfast had a good choice, but some food was uncovered and so a haven for flies. The restaurant food and drinks were excellent and the staff at both the hotel and restaurant were excellent.
We were OK with the location but found that it was too far out of the resort for us and one night encountered 3 concrete lorries slowly reversing down the narrow road on the hill that we were trying to walk up.
We rated the cleanliness 1 star due to the sewage problem but the apartments were spotless apart from this with lovely comfy beds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 'Phunawa All Suites Resort' is your best choice for deluxe accommodation with space and comfort at Karon Beach for the simple reason that 'ALL' our rooms are 'SUITES' built in a tranquil environment with a huge pool. Every suite guarantees lots of space, excellent comfort and elegance through luxurious and timeless design using tropical hard-wood. 'Your' resort is just a few minutes by foot from famous Karon Beach and is truly a perfect place for all sun-seekers, couples, families, honeymooners and also romantic couples who expect privacy, luxury and pampering! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Phunawa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dewa Karon Beach Phuket Hotel Karon
- Phunawa Resort Phuket/Karon