“Awesomeness!”
Review of Sharkey Scuba

Sharkey Scuba
Ranked #2 of 29 Tours in Karon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sharkey Scuba is a 100% legal PADI dive center in Karon, Phuket. We are complete diving fanatics as our guests will testify! Started in 2002, the owners, Oui and Iain alone, have been teaching and guiding in Phuket for 30 years between us. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer private scuba diving courses from complete beginner to professional level. We also arrange day trips and Thailand liveaboards. Every guest is very important to us which is why we offer a highly personalised service including hotel visits and after dive events. Wherever you are staying in Phuket we can help with free transfers for dive trips from all of the following towns: Karon, Patong, Kata, Kamala and Chalong. Dive courses, day trips, Similans liveaboards - just ask and we will help.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We (3 of us) chose Sharkey based on the reviews here on tripadvisor, and we weren't disappointed! Iain was in touch with us constantly over emails/calls during the days leading upto the actual dive. Any questions (and fears) we had were answered and our minds were put at ease.

On the Day of the actual dive, After a warm welcome, Iain informed us that we would be in the capable hands of himself as well as his wife Oui! Two instructors!

Following a nice breakfast, and a thorough briefing from Iain on the gear and safety, we were off into the water. Iain and Oui were with us the entire way, Making sure we were safe and showing us the incredible number of fish down there! All the while, taking turns playing photographer (another service they offer, underwater photographs of your dive )

Each one of our three dives was different, And on the ride back we were a bunch of very tired, very tanned, and very happy divers!

Under and above water, Iain and Oui are wonderful people and they made sure our experience was one we would not forget! I'd recommend them to anyone. Diving in phuket? - Call Iain!

Diving was never on my bucket list, but now i can't wait to get padi certified!

Note: Don't forget to pop one of those motion sickness pills though, they're available on the boat. Better safe than sorry! Took me a little while to get used to the boat. Underwater though - nothing to worry about!

1  Thank Neal_Dsouza
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. The day was fun, fun, fun! Iain and I couldn't stop talking about it after we got home, feeling so fortunate to not only see so many wonderful things underwater but also to get to spend the day with such a nice group of people. We are glad that you have been bitten by the diving bug and look forward to seeing you back here for more adventures!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was my first experience of diving. I booked a discover scuba course for myself and my girlfriend as her 25th birthday present. We had constant contact with Iain prior to arriving in Thailand and were given some great advice of things to see and do prior to the trip.

The trip itself was a fantastic day from start to end. We were picked up from our hotel promptly and headed to the pier. After being greeted with smiles all round we headed to the boat.

The instruction on the outbound trip was fantastic and not in anyway dull. Iain's enthusiasm for diving is clear and contageous! The the whole focus is getting you ready for an experience like no other and this truly was the case!

When we reached the first stop, after a good breakfast onboard, we were straight in. First step was to demonstrate the safety instructions we had received in the water to Iain then down in to the depths we headed.

What greated us was simply breathtaking, so many fish! We were given a run down of things we may see on the dive and Iain took time to look for things to show us. Safe in the knowlege we wouldn't be under threat from thing, he took us close to creature so we can observe them in detail, one of which being a massive Moray Eel and a schoal of Barracudas!!

On the second dive, when we had demonstrated we could handle our own bouyancy, Iain gave us more freedom and allowed us to swim behind him. We saw so many beautiful things we were both truly pumped when surfacing and wantesd so badly to go again.

The urge to go again was so bad infact, we booked a second dive for the last day of our holiday before flying back to Blighty and had an even better experience than the first. We met Iain's wife Oui on the second dive also and it's clear to see why they both smile constantly having this as a career.

All I can say is I can't wait until we have a chance to go back and get a tank on my back!!

1  Thank TimmyMagic89

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Iain said that you were both as enthusiastic about being underwater as any person he has ever taken diving, even asking how to get to be a dive instructor over lunch on the first day! It was great that you also went for a second experience which gave me the opportunity to meet you both too. Dinner in the evening was great (thank you) and we look forward to giving you even more diving experiences in the future.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our first dive trip after taking our open water course in jul2012. Since we were planning a trip to Phuket, we thought that it would be great to do a one-day dive trip, and we chose to dive with Sharkey upon reading the many positive reviews. Needless to say, we were not disappointed!

Prior to the trip, Sharkey (Iain) was very prompt in responding to our queries via email, addressing our concerns and questions! It was great that they checked with us when we last dive, so that they could assess our experience level.

During the dive itself, we shared the boat with other dive operators, though we were the only 2 who were diving with Sharkey. Upon knowing that it was our first dive since our open water course 6 months back, Oui went through some of the basics with us. It was very assuring when diving with her and she also gave us some tips for diving. The equipment were in great condition. Unfortunately, we didn't manage to see any mantas. Nevertheless, it was a great experience diving with Sharkey, and I would definitely recommend it!

2  Thank stefanie l

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a fun day out on the boat and I really enjoyed the opportunity to show you around underwater. We are also grateful that you appreciated Iain's advice. Iain always tries to make the best recommendations he can and to do this he needs an idea of our guests' experience level. You are not far away from us in Singapore so do come back and visit again very soon:).

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of going diving with my brother in Phuket last week. We went with Sharkey based on the reviews in TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. The boat was spacious, our dive master, Oui, was calm and knowledgeable to the point that other divers on the boat were saying they wished she had been leading their dives.

The equipment was in good condition, the food great and it did not hurt that the visibility was great and we saw Mantas 3 times (although I don’t think Sharkey can take credit for the conditions or the pelagics :))

I have about 150 dives under my belt and this was one of the better companies I have been with, would definitely recommend!

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was certainly a great day out especially with the mantas. Iain was very very jealous when I told him. We do often send requests to mantas to be at specific dive sites at certain times but they are not very good with their timekeeping:). We are so glad that you enjoyed the whole experience with us and we look forward to a return visit soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

had my first real diving experiance, with Ian and Qui and thay made it perfect,from emails before i went there Ian,coming out of hotel to size me up for equipment,we were picked up in the morning by a minibus.took us to our boat where we were met by Ian and Qui.Had one to one lesson with Qui,who was a great teacher.After the first dive had a lovely lunch on boat.On the second and longer dive was even better because i had more cofidance.My niece who came with me, did not scuba dive but was relaxing and snorkaling and injoyed the day as much as i did.Ian and Qui even took yhr time to invite us out for a meal at there local restarant.This experiance has made my holiday thanks to Ian and Qui.Will be coming back next year with a friend who will also be diving

Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a real pleasure to show you around underwater and to share your excitement. We were also really glad that you and your niece were able to join us for dinner with other guests. We look forward to your return visit next year and to showing you even more of the wonderful underwater world.