“Fantastic first time diving”
Review of Sharkey Scuba

Sharkey Scuba
Ranked #2 of 32 Tours in Karon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sharkey Scuba is a 100% legal PADI dive center in Karon, Phuket. We are complete diving fanatics as our guests will testify! Started in 2002, the owners, Oui and Iain alone, have been teaching and guiding in Phuket for 30 years between us. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer private scuba diving courses from complete beginner to professional level. We also arrange day trips and Thailand liveaboards. Every guest is very important to us which is why we offer a highly personalised service including hotel visits and after dive events. Wherever you are staying in Phuket we can help with free transfers for dive trips from all of the following towns: Karon, Patong, Kata, Kamala and Chalong. Dive courses, day trips, Similans liveaboards - just ask and we will help.
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I was very very nervous (I don't even like putting my head under water) and my boyfriend kept throwing up from sea sickness on the boat. However! Oui was a fantastic instructor. I didn't think I would be able to even dive & I managed to do it twice. She was reassuring, considerate & you can tell the passion they have for diving at Sharkey. If this is your first time diving then having an instructor dedicated to the 2 of you is an excellent experience.

3  Thank Janelw44
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your first diving experience and I feel very privileged to have been the person to introduce you. We are also glad that you appreciate our private instruction. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer this service which has so many advantages over group instruction - more safety, more attention, more time to dive are just a few. Thank you for coming to dive with us and we look forward to your next visit.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"other companies"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My Partner & I decided to take our very First scuba trial since we were heading to Phuket. That decision itself was the best with no regrets! Welcoming us with a great smile, We had Oui as our "sifu" guiding us through the waters at Raya island diving spot.

A combination of clear instructions, proper equipment, friendly instructor and an adventurous heart will expose you to a whole new world - the undersea world. Awesomeness.

2  Thank Yenniman

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was a real pleasure to introduce you to the underwater world that we love so much. I feel very honoured by your lovely words and very much look forward to having another opportunity in the future to show you around again. Do come visit again soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Turtle at Koh Bida Nok.
Leopard Shark and Cuttlefish at Shark Point.
Bamboo Shark at Koh Doc Mai and millions of millions of fish.
Always help ful staff!!

Thank you Oui and Ian!!!

3  Thank JohOhl

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Since teaching you your Swedish Open Water course a few years ago we have had the pleasure of experiencing some awesome dives together. Turtles are always amazing to see and leopard sharks are simply breathtaking! We look forward to your next visit very soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Traveling abroad is an exciting experience, where you must trust yourself, but even more so you have to trust the environment. The environment can make or ruin a trip. During my experience at Sharkey Scuba this became evident. I love diving and I really appreciate a wise diving guide. A wise guide should be familiar with the environment and be able to safely guide me through the waves of the ocean. I have traveled a lot, dived in different oceans and experienced being guided by different people. In Phuket, more accurately Shalong, alone there are so many different dive companys, it’s difficult to know where to turn in order to get solid advice. But I was god hands, and felt no stress.

When I go diving it is crucial that my guide is not only an expert in the area, but also able to stay clam in different situations, and at the same time be a dynamic person who is able to introduce me to new and exciting diving spots, while staying true to the guidelines provided by PADI. This is definitely the case at Sharkey. Iain, the guy who started the company 10 years ago, seemed to know everything about diving in Thailand, and fulfilled my every hope about finding the exceptional diving spots in the area. He even organized a car to pick me up every morning at the hotel before our trips. His calm and collected nature was easily transferred to me, and gave me the feeling that the boat, ocean and diving was the only thing that was going on, despite the fact that you are on a boat with a lot of people. (All the dive companys rent space on the boats. We were only two divers going with Sharkey, so Iain had all the time in the world for us)

Although Iain was a great person to be on the boat with, he was even better under water. His guided trips were full of beautiful surprises where he safely guided me through and made me aware of the unique life under the surface. He pointed out small details, such as the small seahorses or the exceptional colors of the sea grass. I always felt that I had so much to share with others after a diving trip. Even in rough waters Iain was always able to stay clam, smile and lead us in a sheltered manner. Iain is by far the most knowledgeable guide I have ever experienced. I saw more of the ocean and had higher quality dives than I as an experienced diver could imagine.

Compared to the other diving services in the area it was evident that we got the best and most professional service. During my stay I felt a genuine connection with Iain, and I felt that he gladly shared with me his diving secrets. The experience I had with Sharkey Scuba is definitely something I would recommend to others. I got the best, and so should you!

Best wishes from Norway.

1  Thank Andre T K

Thank you so much for you very wonderful review. I think Iain's head as grown to twice the size after reading it! In seriousness though, it was great to see you back diving with us after nearly 10 years. Iain enjoyed both your company and the dives tremendously. Of course, the mantas AND the sailfish did make the dives a very unique experience! Iain feels like you are a younger brother to him and we both very much look forward to your next visit. Do hurry back!