Sharkey Scuba
Ranked #2 of 29 Tours in Karon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sharkey Scuba is a 100% legal PADI dive center in Karon, Phuket. We are complete diving fanatics as our guests will testify! Started in 2002, the owners, Oui and Iain alone, have been teaching and guiding in Phuket for 30 years between us. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer private scuba diving courses from complete beginner to professional level. We also arrange day trips and Thailand liveaboards. Every guest is very important to us which is why we offer a highly personalised service including hotel visits and after dive events. Wherever you are staying in Phuket we can help with free transfers for dive trips from all of the following towns: Karon, Patong, Kata, Kamala and Chalong. Dive courses, day trips, Similans liveaboards - just ask and we will help.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Seven members of the Flinders Uni Dive Club had the most memorable trip to Thailand in April 2012. Iain and Oui organised the boat, sensational diving, helped with accommodation, visited us at our hotel, organised non diving adventures and made sure we all got the experiences we were after. I have never felt so well looked after and would highly recommend Sharkey Scuba to all.

Dale
FUUC President

Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Diving in the Similans with your dive club was a real lot of fun. Of course we couldn't have asked for a better start to the diving with a manta on the first dive of the trip! Although he didn't get to join us on the liveaboard (he was very jealous) Iain really enjoyed meeting everyone afterwards at the local Thai restaurant. We hope to see you all back here again soon. If not then we hope to see you all in Adelaide sometime in the near future.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My family went on a 3 dive boat trip with Sharkey in August 2012. Iain was the DM for my wife and I and Oui was a snorkel guide for our 2 children. The service we received was highly professional and we very much look forward to diving with Sharkey again if we return to Phuket. The fact that Oui looked after our children so we could dive was perfect, she pointed out so many fish to them and then let them look them up in her book back on the boat. Iain took us away from other divers and with superb knowledge of the dive sites just let us get on with taking hundreds of photos. We recommend Sharkey to all our diver friends who are visiting Phuket and cannot thank them enough for a superb day out. We also had the pleasure of their company over a fantastic dinner a few days later. Diving in Phuket? Dive with Sharkey!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to meet you all and quite a conincidence that you lived in the same village where Iain's father was brought up. A good conversation point over the dinner we shared. It was great fun for me to take the kids snorkelling and hopefully we can take them diving sometime in the future. Do come visit again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

On a recent trip to Phuket, I did 8 dives with Oui from Sharkey. I started out as an open water diver when I arrived. My comfort level with Oui convinced me to get my advanced open water certification. She suggested that I do peak buoyancy as one of the dives after observing my skills on the first day. It has amazed me at how much more comfortable I am in the water since I did that course. It was the best 45 minutes I ever spent in the water. I also completed a deep dive, navigation, under water naturalist and boat dive. Oui and Iain both demonstrate a level of professionalism and attention to detail, particularly safety which is uncommon with dive operations in tourist destinations. You can see how passionate they are and that they have a love for teaching people to become better divers. I came to Phuket as a very timid diver and leave feeling confident and looking forward to all future dives. I am hooked and couldn't say enough to thank Oui and Iain for everything. If you travel to phuket go to Sharkey's, you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Brittany M

Thanks you so much for your review. It is always a great pleasure to see someone go from mildly interested in diving to getting the dive bug especially when credited with being partly responsible for that. We really enjoyed not only diving with you both but dinner too. Iain is determined to take you both on a night dive next time! Do come visit again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a great company.

Before we begin with specifics allow me to provide an overview of how many dive operations work in Phuket. When you select many operators you will not be on their boat however they will arrange a spot on a dive boat going to your desired sites. They will then meet you at the Pier, provide you with gear and accompany you on the boat for the day.

We had a total of 8 boat dives on 3 dive boats operations plus I had one night dive from shore. Of the 3 boat operators we were on the operators were Dive Asia (good), Adaman Ocean Safari (outstanding) and South Siam (terrible). Unfortunately you cannot select a boat per se. They are booked to go to specific dive sites. You select a dive site and then find out which boats are going there on a given day.

Adaman Ocean Safari was simply great. Lots of space, professional crew and a great sun deck covered in mats with big pillows. Even better was the food. It was all cooked fresh onboard and I literally hugged the lady who handled the cooking duties the food was so good. In the future I would ask where this boat was going and just go as the diving was good in pretty much every location.

We were on South Siam on our 3rd day because it was scheduled to go to the King Cruzer wreck which had limited boat options on the day that we wanted to go. It was the first time that we have ever felt unsafe on a dive boat. Overcrowded, at one point the boat was listing badly enough that the crew ran to the upper deck and had everyone lean over one side of the boat. In addition to overpacked conditions the food was mediocre at best and the boat was dirty. We could have lived with all of that but what scared us was the crew. They seems to be scrambling lie they were unsure of themselves. The worst part was something that I have ever seen on a dive boat. Tanks were stacked 3 or even 4 high unsecured on the deck. At least twice all of the tanks toppled over and slammed into the side of the boat with crew diving all over the place. At least two tanks had their cylinder stem yokes crack from the impact. It was really bad. It is key to note that Sharkey's forewarned us that the boat would not be as good as the first two however we decided that we wanted to do the wreck dive and this was our only option to get there. Unfortunately due to conditions we did not make it to the wreck however Oui ensured that 3 dives all on the same island Koh Doc Mai were varied, safe in very heavy seas and interesting.

Ok. So my fiancée and I have been diving for several years around the Caribbean, Mexico and Costa Rica. We typically take 3 or 4 dive related trips per year and stay at high end hotels with high end operators. In our experience Sharkey's was the most considerate and genuine operation that we have dealt with. After our first day we liked the team so much that we decided to move from Open Water to Advanced with Sharkey's.

The operation is run by a couple Iain and Oui (pronounced oo-ee). Both are passionate about diving and treated us as with a level of care that you would normally bestow upon your own children. The study and knowledge review sections were treated with an unsurpassed level of diligence and care. Oui took a significant amount of time to thoroughly review every section with each of us independently. For each and every dive we received a thorough briefing which we were asked to repeat before getting into the water. Safety protocols were followed to the letter of the law and we felt that Oui and Iain were genuinely intent on making us better divers. Even in rough waters we always seemed to surface in better more sheltered areas than anyone else on the dive boats. Onboard we constantly received the impression that we had higher quality dives than divers with other operators. We saw more, had easier entry and exits and received far more post diver coaching and reviews than other students / divers on the boats. During transit Oui was constantly checking on us to ensure that we had everything we needed.

Iain was kind enough to arrange for my first ever night dive. As a newbie Iain spent more time prepping me for the dive than we actually spent in the water. The result was little anxiety and an enjoyable experience where we saw all manner of sea life in a totally different environment.

In summary the diving in Phuket is as good as we had expected. If you go you will not do better than hooking up with Oui and Iain at Sharkey's.

Thank you so much for your review. Iain and I both enjoyed the diving and after dive entertainment with the two of you. Iain really liked his night dive with you and especially the gigantic hermit crab that you both saw. Please come and visit again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a repeat customer of Sharkey Scuba I cant do anything but reccomend the team! I started with Sharkey as an excited teen who wanted to explore the sea but now am an advanced diver with lots of dives under my belt (and already planning my next adventure later this year with Sharkey!)
Both Oui and Iain are passionate about diving and have so much knowledge to share! They know the dives very well (this includes knowing the resident sea horse hiding places) and many tips on diving for first timers and repeat divers.

I cant reccomend this awesome team enough - for the young and the mature (I dive with my dad who is 50+)!! Look forward to seeing the Sharkey team later this year! :-)

Thank you so much for your kind review. It has been great fun watching your dive skills develop and also your enthusiasm for diving. Your father openly omitted that he only started diving because you wanted to but he is now as keen you! I know Iain especially always looks forward to your visits for the conversation time on the boats and the banter with your father as well as for the diving itself. We look forward to the next visit from you both.