“The most fun and experienced instructors in Phuket!”
Review of Sharkey Scuba

Sharkey Scuba
Ranked #2 of 32 Tours in Karon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sharkey Scuba is a 100% legal PADI dive center in Karon, Phuket. We are complete diving fanatics as our guests will testify! Started in 2002, the owners, Oui and Iain alone, have been teaching and guiding in Phuket for 30 years between us. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer private scuba diving courses from complete beginner to professional level. We also arrange day trips and Thailand liveaboards. Every guest is very important to us which is why we offer a highly personalised service including hotel visits and after dive events. Wherever you are staying in Phuket we can help with free transfers for dive trips from all of the following towns: Karon, Patong, Kata, Kamala and Chalong. Dive courses, day trips, Similans liveaboards - just ask and we will help.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was so excited to go diving when holidaying in Phuket I bragged for months to my friends that I was coming back an Open Water Diver! 1 week into my holiday I had an incident with an elevated bed and broke my wrist! I was devastated... No diving for me. Ian and Oui were amazing! They organized for me to still come out and snorkel with the group and were very understanding with my deposit... The plan is next year to go back and dive and I certainly will not be diving with anyone else in Phuket! Great job guys! Wine and cheese in no time!

1  Thank Janey281182
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a real shame about your accident that prevented you from diving. However, we are glad that you at least got to snorkel and see the fishes. The dinners were a lot of fun too and Iain really appreciated you sharing your amazing knowledge of wine with him. He looks forward to sharing a bottle with you next time! Do keep in touch and we look forward to your next visit and the chance to finally show you around underwater.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"other companies"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I read about Sharkey Scuba here at tripadvisor.de. It was very important for me, to find a teacher I can realy on. And I am very happy that I found Iain and Oui.
I did my Open Water Diver with Oui and she was a great teacher, calm and patient. The lessons went so fast and were a lot of fun. So I decided to ask for an additional diving trip after lessons were over.
With Iain and Oui you have two people you can trust, especially if you are afraid of diving the first time.

2  Thank Jas R
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a real pleasure for Iain and I to meet you and for me to dive with you. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience and chose to do some extra dives. We hope to see you back here again soon to share more underwater experiences with us.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wow! What can I say? This was an absolutely amazing experience. Both my partner and I have never done any scuba diving before, so we were a little nervous about being left behind in a group or something. This is the main reason we chose the Sharkey Scuba Discovery Course because it was just the two of us with the instructor so we could take our time.
The day included everything in the cost (very affordable!) and we did 2 dives! It was incredible. We had so much fun and by the end I was even doing summersults under the water :)
We decided to pay a little extra money to take the camera on the second dive with us and all the photos were then put online for us to download- well worth it!
The staff were amazing! They couldn't be any nicer of a couple! Iain was very quick to reply to my e-mails and Oui (our instructor on the day) was so patient and funny.
I would recommend Sharkey Scuba to anyone and everyone!!! They were amazing!
If you go to Phuket this is a MUST!!

3  Thank emash34
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you chose to dive with us and allow us the honour of taking you for your first dives. It was a great day out with plenty of fishes and other lovely marine life. Do keep in touch and we look forward to your next visit sometime in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I found good reviews for Sharkeys on Trip Advisor. Ian and Oui certainly met expectations. Everything was arranged over the internet and Ian popped round to the hotel to finalise on the day we arrived in Karon. Unfortunately, we hit the tail end of a typhoon and visibility wasn't good on all dive sites. Oui was guiding myself and my buddy and she made the best of the dive sites. Sites varied between Ok and worth doing to being stunning. Oui was a brilliant dive guide and nothing was too much trouble. She could spot the smallest creatures for us. Its the first time I have seen a seahorse in its natural environment. Her timing was great and she always got us out within a couple of minutes of the maximum dive time. Everything was done professionally with safety in mind. We eat twice with Ian, Oui and their daughter at their favourite restaurant and had a great time. I would never have tried Larb with catfish unless Ian had recommended it. It was a great 5 days diving and I can't think of anything that could be improved. A lucky choice.

1  Thank Colin T

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We had a lot of fun with both the diving and the after dive socialising. The great thing with the diving here is that there is always plenty to see even when the visibility is not at its best. The seahorses tend to hang around the same spots so always a good chance to find one at certain dive sites. We are glad you enjoyed seeing one so much. Do keep in touch and come visit us again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I did some research on Tripadvisor of course and was lucky enough to find Sharkey Scuba! From the moment I started to email Sharkey Scuba they were very prompt and very helpful as this was our first trip to Asia as well and first time diving after our open water certification.They made me feel very comfortable.When we arrived in Phuket, Iain met us at our hotel to to go over some details. Everything was extremely organized. The day of the dive we were met by Oui and her smile. Dan our dive guide was great too! The dive boat was large and uncrowded. We went to Koh Racha Yai for our two dives. We got to see many things that we had never seen before diving in the Caribbean. After of first dive we had a delicious lunch. Iain and Oui were even kind enough to invite us to dinner the next day at a local restaurant where I had some delicious green curry, thank you for the recommendation on that Iain. Overall I have yet to find any company that can top there GREAT customer service and professionalism!! They are so friendly they make you feel as if you known them for a longest time! They both have such a love for what they do and that is what makes them so awesome!! We will definitely be back!

1  Thank dinx4563

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experiences with us both diving and "after hours". You certainly got to see a great variety of marine life with Danny including a turtle:). Iain recommends the green curry to everyone - he could live just on that! Do keep in touch and come visit us again soon.