“Best introduction to diving I could possibly get”
Review of South Siam Divers

South Siam Divers
Bangkok, Thailand
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best introduction to diving I could possibly get”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I cant` really compare, but I believe I`ve got the best introduction to diving by SSD. Getting my first experience (PADI) there. My instructor San was pleasant, calm and professional. I was taken care of from the first day in the pool to the last disembark from the boat. There was not a single moment, when I would wonder what to do. Everything explained step by step. San was super.
On board life was runned by Adam - cool guy, professional. Same as above. All boat crew very friendly and helpful.
Pick up from hotel, return to the same place, no problems.
I`m already making my schedule for my next experience.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank jan_naj2014

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Gwangju, South Korea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic Liveaboard at the Similan Islands!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I booked a one night, 2 day liveaboard through Sunrise Divers. It was a bit of a challenge to wake up and be picked up at 6am, but there was no getting around that. The drive up to the pier was OK, although the driver was a bit over-aggressive for my liking, but I guess he knew what he was doing. The speedboat trip was not enjoyable for me at all, even though I took a sea sickness pill, I still felt quite ill because the water was extremely rough on that particular day. It didn't help that I was tired and had no food in my stomach. Nevertheless, after actually arriving at the liveaboard (I stayed on Boat #3), the rest of the trip was fantastic. My divemaster, Instructor Vinnie, was simply incredible from the moment I met him. He set up my gear for me (always a nice bonus) and made me and the rest of our group feel very comfortable right from the first dive. He has AMAZING underwater photography skills, and he was more than happy to share his pictures with us for a very reasonable and affordable price. The diving at the Similan Islands was incredible, we were lucky enough to see a manta ray on 3 separate dives! The food on the liveaboard was first class, I ate like a king at every meal. I spent 5 days diving in Thailand and my 2 days at the Similan Islands were easily the best. Thanks for a great time!

Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Good boat, disinterested dive masters”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Booked through an agent (good) for an overnight on South Siam 4 in Similians.
The boat is quite good, relatively modern and the accomodation good (aircon) for a non-luxiry liveabord. Toilets/showers clean with warm water. Soft drinks (Thai replicas of pepsi), tea and coffee were included. Beers are chargeable. Food is basic but fine.
There were several dive masters on board from different companies. We had a South Siam DM (Reem) whose English was not very good and other than showing people which direction to go underwater, was pretty useless otherwise. Did not bother to talk with the divers before or after the dive. Repeated requests to fill my tank to a higher level than 200 were ignored. The dive masters from other companies were much better.
During our stay, there were +-20 people on board and it was quite comfortable. I suspect that when full, it will be crowded and chaotic, especially on the wet deck.
The dive supervisor who gave the pre-dive briefings was useless. Could not (and in some cases, would not) answer any questions. His dive site drawings were meaningless.

From Kata to the boat in the Similans took +-4 hrs in each direction. The return trip waves made it quite an uncomfortable 2 hrs on the speedboat. Therefore, a day trip to the Similans is definitely not worthwhile.

Unless you are a very keen diver, a one night stay is probably adequate (7 dives). Longer stays go further north where there is a possibility of seeing larger fish.

1 Thank G T
Montreal, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very Good Staff ON THE BOAT”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We recently stayed on boat #4 for five days, with our two teens, and we very much enjoyed our trip. However there are a few things you ought to consider carefully.....

The staff was organized, knowledgeable and helpful. The diving was good but not great as there are so many divers and boats in the water (we went Jan4-8, peak season). The guys who help you out of the water and with your gear are hard workers and smile all the time. The food was good and we never felt that we were missing anything. This is clearly an experienced company that has its routine down pat and knows how to get many divers in/out of the water.

When the day divers showed up, it was NOT FUN. Waaaaay too many people crammed in to this boat, despite the organization and routine. You have to be an experienced diver to be on this boat as there is no time to help out beginners... again, we went during peak season so maybe it's better when less busy.

Other than the staff that I emailed when booking, and those on the boat, the others just hurry you. The driver who picked us up was a horrible little man. He yelled at the guests who were already on the bus, as we were loading our luggage. He expected four of them to occupy the last row of the van (meant for three passengers). He reached speeds of up to 130km/h on wet roads, often passing other vehicles on the shoulder. I have a photo of the speedometer at 120km/h. He did not answer a single question asked of him. Not sure what the rush was as we ended up waiting quite a while at the port! I was afraid and wondered 'if a company will blatantly risk its guests' safety on the road like this, then what corners are they cutting under water?' ... it is, after all, my family's safety!!! I was relieved once on the boat as these guys are professionals.

Despite the hard work and professionalism of the crew on board, I would have to think twice about using South Siam's services again. I never want to be in the same position with a dangerous driver again, so I would get my own transport to their port of departure. Nor do I want to be just a number squeezed in between the day trippers...I would prefer being on a live-aboard that does not cater to the day divers and covers less busy sites. I would FOR SURE do a live-aboard again, just not sure I would do it with South Siam for these two reasons. It's too bad because the boat crew is very good!

1 Thank luckyMe068
Stockholm, Sweden
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“accident waiting to happen”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

i booked a over night trip with this company to similan island. i am a dive instructor and my son is a advanced diver. when we got to the boat the crew was so rude and so uninterested in any of the quests or diver on the boat. the boat leader greg was completely uninterested in any one other then geting them into the water as quickly as possible. there was so many people on the boat that the diver were being pushed into the water. after the dive there were so any divers trying to get out of the water that we had to wait over 30 mins just to be picked up. if a diver was in trouble then it would have been a problem. i am an instructor for 26 years. please fellow divers please do not use this dive operation, because when there is an accident it could be you.it is just waiting to happen.

Visited December 2013