“Simply AWESOME”

Ranked #14 of 133 Hotels in Karon
Mauritius
“Simply AWESOME”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

After a long flight from Mauritius,we had been welcomed warmly by staff and management here!We enjoyed our stay here,breakfast was huge buffet,staff are very friendly and helpful. A big thanks to Khun Piu for the cleanliness of our room 331,just an unforgettable moment spent here.
Keep it up...hope to be back soon!:)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zaheed A
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Sawasdee Zaheed A,

Thank you very much for staying with us at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket and for sharing your review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, that breakfast was great and staff friendly and helpful. Your comments about Khun Piu and cleanliness are very much appreciated.
Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Thank you to the management for the flowers on bed, honeymoon cake, and complimentary dinner. It was pleasant, and we are thankful for that.

When we arrived, it was pouring on the day. I was surprised that the room is also wet everywhere, on the bedroom, and near the shower area. I'm not sure if they just cleaned it quickly before we arrived, or it was the rain. I also found used dirty cotton bud, awful. Because it was pouring on the first night, we did not use the jacuzzi spa in the balcony. When we tried on the second day, the water was just cloudy, and little bit yellow. After we pressed the pump, all the dirt and rust came out from it, and I was so disgusted by it. I was so disappointed that we could not even use it for once. They offered us to change the room, but it was so much hassle to pack and unpack again when we were already comfortable where we were. Eventually they only charged us for the first night, but I just think it's unreasonable for me to pay the extras eventhough we never even used it.
On the third day, my husband found that the water from the basin was turning to yellow-ish. Although they said they were sorry and would checked, we ended up brushing our teeth using drinking water, and doubting using the water in the room. The other negative thing in the room is also the blinds, although it looks good in the room, It took us forever to roll it up OR down. It was not convenient at all.

We loved our stay in general, breakfast, staff, and swimming pool were great. Love the beach which is just across us, but I think this resort should not be 5star. It is definitely more suitable for family with children.

Location wise: it will cost you B200 to go to Karon town, or B400 to Patong. about B900-B1700 to Airport.

Room Tip: I would recommend to just choose a deluxe room without the spa to avoid what I had experienced. Enjo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tif_mack
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Tif_Mack,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

It is pleasing to hear that you loved the beach and that breakfast, staff and swimming pool were great. We would like to offer our most sincere apology for the shortcomings regarding cleanliness and discoloured water.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and hope to be able to deliver a perfect holiday on such an occasion.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

After much deliberation we chose to spend 10 nights in a deluxe spa suite. We are regetting this decision. Check in extremely slow, room not ready. When we finally got to the room we found a blocked toilet, a shower that not only desperately needs a good scrub but also has water temperature that swings between boiling hot and freezing cold every couple of seconds. Luckily I was showering with my children otherwise they would have been badly burnt. The beds are rock hard. The staff are polite and some are friendly, in general the staff appear unhappy. In the hotel lobby I approached the taxi desk to be told no a taxi can not be called that I had to simply wait maybe 30 minutes for one to maybe turn up or to walk up to the main road and get one myself. The pool area is good but the pool needs a good clean and is very mouldy in parts. All in all if this was a 4 star resort I could excuse these issues but having experienced several 5 star resorts all around the world I must say we are incredibly disappointed and would recommend you spend your holiday elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyHunters2014
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Happyhunters2014,
Than you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. Im pleased you found our staff to be polite and friendly and the pools were good. It is a pity a number of other areas were a disappointment for you and we will investigate and address the issues mentioned.
Safe Travels
Darren
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here. We travelled off season so we were able to secure great rates. Here's what we liked: Beautiful location with great beach views. The adult infinity pool was an oasis - very peaceful with wonderful attentive service. The kids area also looked great - I can see why families would really like this resort. We also liked the proximity of the beach to the main pool. Finally the rooms were very nice with great A/C and a really comfortable bed (if you like a firm bed) and pillows. What we didn't like: The biggest disappointment was the poor food - really unacceptable for a resort that presents itself as a premium 5 star resort. We tried 2 different meals + breakfast and they were all consistently bad. We decided from then on to eat outside the resort. The staff and service were also a bit inconsistent. Some of the staff were a bit rude or neutral and some were very friendly. A real highlight though was the front office trainee Michelle. She was absolutely gorgeous and very friendly and helpful. Overall still a good stay although I may have rated a touch lower if I had paid anywhere near full price for the resort.

Room Tip: The Sea View rooms provide an almost uninterrupted view of the sea
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Meshiggah,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

We are very pleased that you liked the location, the beach views, the adult pool and the rooms. At the same time we are also sorry to read that you were disappointed in the food. Please feel free to contact us should you have any suggestions as to how we can improve.

I am glad some staff were very friendly, although is is distressing to read that you found some staff a bit rude.

Your kind comments about Michelle are much appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here in May 2014 as a family and had a great time. I cannot support the 1 star comemnt son here about staff being rude as this simply is not our experience, and most of the staff go out of their way to be polite and courteous as is the Thai way.

Firstly its key to point out this isn't a Marriot or Hilto run hotel with all the trimmings. In my view it is a reasonably priced 4 star hotel with very good facilties in a great location on Karon Beach. Its eay to go to town on a review and beat them up on all the minor stuff that doenst go right for you but if you step back and see whats ging on and whats available you get a very good deal here.

the rooms are spacious - we had a family of 4 in here in comfort (two boys 4 &6) - the sofa is a bed which helps.

The lazy rizer, water cliff jumps, twin slides, tiered height pools and kids club kept the boys entertained well throughout the holiday day after day and are well supervised by the lifeguards on site, As always though you need to watch your kids as there are lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide behind out of view.

Don't forget to pre-vbook discount tickets (50%) for the Centara Splash park near the airport (1 hour taxi - cost us 1000 baht return - he even stayed there all day. Expect about 1000-2000 baht return depending how hard you barter). If you doint pre-book this excursion they don't give you the discount up there - see the Concierge at reception for details.

Breakfast was great on every day we went. There is pretty much anythign you want there within reason, from Asian to western food, plenty of fresh fruits and pastires. The head chef I think takes his role quite personally as he seems to be out on the floor regulalrly checking everythings spot on.

We took lunch most days at Daengs on the beach (50 m on the beach - you can't miss it). Its a typical Thai beach restruarant with no frills but greatthai and wetsern food available and minicule prices. A family of four bill with soft drinks came in at around £12 and the food quality was always spot on and as tasty as anything Thai food you'd find at the resort. They even do take-aways if you want so if you fancy having a meal at the pool or beach just pop over there and order and take -away (worth getting your drinks there too as they're really cheap compared to the hotel which is 3-4 times more expensive). We never once also had any tummy trouble eating at this restruarant.

Bad bit (and take these with a pinch of salt - after all "this is Thailand" and these are not show-stoppers);

-The main pool needs to be cleaner both in water quality (bit cloudy) and the sides needs cleaning as does the lazy river walls and bottom.
-Water jumps - this areas walls need scrubbing.
-You need to treat the foliage around the two smaller pools as there are thirsty blood-sucking mosiquitoes in there which really annoy you - use a mist/fog treatment in there once a day to lower the mosi count.
-Girls in the kids club culd be more attentive rather than on FB on the computers
-Shuttle to various local places - management - if you offer this service then offer it. Dont be tight (especially in Thailand where these things are very cheap) and only book enough room to the shopping centre of 16 people max when you have a very large resort. This excuse when offered doesn't wash and smacks of tightness. If its offered and booked in good time and you go over the 16, then get anohter bus for heavens sake! How can you offer a complmentary (and yes before you say it we know its complimentary but 16 seats for a resort your size! - and you wouldn't need to do it that often lets face it). Excellant customer service would have got more transport.At the point that we had to remove a years worth of hair, toenails and gunk from our drain int he shower as it overflowed - you should have switched us rooms; sending 9 bits of crystalised tomato really isn't doing it for a customer who has cleaned a drain for you.

Other than those minor issues we had a great time at this resort and would recommend it without question. Big mention to the security team who work the resort; they keep you safe and (keep stargglers comign off the ebach) are always very polite and are smiling despite the nature of their jobs so please take the time to interact with them; they were great with the boys every day we waled down the small strip to go to breakfast!

last point - the currents and waves are pretty strong on the beach so I wouldn't recommedn going too far in if you aren't a good swimmer and definately no kids as the waves and rips will be merciless with them (stay ta the pool). the lifeguard team from the hotel are on hand, so have a quick chat with them if you don't undertsand the flag system of want to find where the rips are.

Please give this resort a go; its great value and very well set up for families.

Room Tip: Sea view is great, but waves can be heard in case you arn't into that. All rooms are pretty clos...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CityGuy1973
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear CityGuy1973,
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

We are pleased to hear that you liked the rooms, that the breakfast was great and that your children enjoyed the pool area and kids club. Your comments about our Executive Chef and the security team are much appreciated. We have noted your suggestions when it comes to the pool area, treating the foliage around the pools and the complimentary shuttle service to Patong and Karon. In the kids club the manager does have to use a computer and do emails. However, I am sorry to hear that the girls were not as attentive as they should have been and we will address it with them.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the future.

Yorkshire
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Three of us stayed here in March 2014, myself, my husband and my 85 year old mother-in-law, we have stayed in many Thai hotels and this was one of the best.

The service was excellent the staff were so friendly, the breakfast was very good and we were hooked on the banana fritters, frozen yoghurt and Japanese specialities. At breakfast there was something for everyone, a huge choice and all of a very good standard, anyone who has complained about breakfast on these reviews must be professional complainers!! The team on the hot breakfast bar doing the cooking to order were so funny and pleasant :)

Service around the pool was good with a welcome offering of fresh pineapple and watermelon served at your sunbed in the heat of the afternoon.

The water slides and lazy river (a bit slow in places!) were a brilliant change from a standard hotel pool and the short walk to the beach from the pool was great as we love swimming in the sea so popped in 2 or 3 times a day without having to have a sunbed on the beach

Definitely a five star resort and the most impressive part is the staff, from the .security guards to the cleaners and front desk staff they are a credit to this hotel chain. I would like to make a special mention and thank you to Au who worked on reception, she sorted out a credit card error that was entirely my error yet she personally gave me a gift as a thank you for helping to sort it out even though it was my error!

We have a wheelchair and were given every assistance throughout our holiday, what wonderful people, can't wait to go back.

There was an abundance of pool towels even though the hotel was full and even though the hotel was full we always got sunbeds with no problem. The hotel is near enough Patong to pop in for shopping but far enough away to be away from the hustle and bustle.

Previously in Phuket we have stayed at Coral beach and Indigo Pearl but the pool system here is much better.

The number of poor reviews this hotel has received makes me very wary of taking too seriously Tripadvisor reviews, I think too many people review with other reasons for wanting to give a property a poor review as some of the reviews I have read today for this hotel sound like they are from people who have never stayed here!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RetiredTravelling1
Sawasdee aliwaggy,
Thank you very much for sharing your review.

It is a delight to read that you found the service excellent, our staff friendly and the breakfast very good. Thank you for your kind comments. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

hello again

my family and 3 young infants stayed at this resort in may......this was a mistake. most of the staff were rude, paul orny looked after us after all the dramas we had. the pool was dirty, not clean, my child got sick. my first room had no hot water for two days and the shower was blocked.

we got upgraded to a villa by paul, because the first room was close to where the renovations were going on. there were paint and cords, tools gas bottles lying around near our room. it was bad.

we got served a frozen dinner, we herd the mircowave going and staff still didnt get it right.

darren shaw walked past me a number of times during stay, no name tag, not once did he say hello. the smoking areas arent clearly marked, and darren shaw allows guests to smoke in non smoking areas.

the breakfast was poor, i couldnt get a iced coffee i had to ask 3 or 4 times. the service was very poor, other than paul orny, oh and the secuirty staff i walked past. the private villas are very nice and the staff are very nice too.

on my second last day i was in the pool with a friend and my son, a cleaner of the pool tipped a bucket of some sort of chemical that smelt and tasted like poison. we all got out quickly.

asking for towels was a problem, there was 5 of us but we only got 2 and when we asked for more staff got upset.

clearly staff at front desk arent happy , poor service and rude.

i would stay away from this resort, until a change of management and the renovations have finished..

once again thank you to the thai people.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Danielle N
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to read of the issues you raise and I appreciate, as first time travellers, we did not deliver per your expectations. To be fair, you have provided considerable mis-information ie "frozen microwave dinners, buckets of poison" etc. I am disappointed you found our Thai staff to be rude, as usually, our guests find our team members make a positive contribution to their stay. Im pleased a member of our management (Paul Orny) provided some satisfaction to you as I know that Paul did spend considerable time tending to your needs. Smoking Laws in Thailand are different to yours in Australia however they do protect the non smoker when dining. We do want all guests to have a great holiday and, whilst we certainly have areas to improve, we were unable to assist you in having a great family vacation.
Safe Travels
Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!