“New visitors to grand centara”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #16 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I will be Visiting the grand centara in December this year with my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary, we have booked a plunge pool villa. I must say I am getting rather nervous after reading such negative press about this resort.

I am trying to be open minded, as In the past I have read negative feedback about other resorts that I had visited and found that I didn't have the same poor experience that they had come across.
I was torn between another resort and hope and do hope I have made the right decision, I look forward to letting trip advisor readers know about our experience when we return and do hope the resort will not be of a disappointment and that it does live up to meet our expectations as this is meant to be a special trip for us.

We look forward to meeting your team in December

The Partlows

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Japeater
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Japeater

Thank you for posting your up coming stay here.

If it’s possible may I please have booking details sent to qtycpbr@chr.co.th?

We also look forward to welcoming you and your husband to our resort for the special 20th wedding anniversary occasion.

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,782)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at this property for 3 nights during our honeymoon and it was such an anticlimax.
Check in was smooth enough but we were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 3pm so we went for a walk along the beach down to the shops. The location of this property is fantastic.
We were escorted to our room, which we booked a deluxe pool suite, but the room was quite disappointing, it was a lot smaller than what we had imagined, and the pool is situated on the balcony under the shade (concrete slab) and absolutely no privacy from the rooms next door. There was also cigarette butts lying around the balcony.
After a few hours we noticed a distinct smell coming from our room, but upon walking outside our room the whole area had the same smell, smelt like wet towels. I actually looked up tripadvisor to see other people's reviews and got the same complaint a few times, because we had already unpacked all of our stuff, we didn't want to change rooms so we just bought some vanilla candles down at the shops and lit them up in the room and it helped.
This resort is definitely catered for families, and does that well, but I would not recommend this property to other young couples as the property is tired, the service is lacking and the food wasn't all that great. I had such high expectations for this property and couldn't help but feel disappointed overall.
The highlight of our stay in Karon Beach was the location itself and we hired a scooter and went around all of Phuket, if it wasn't for the scooter hire my husband said he would've really had a bummer of a time in Karon Beach.

Room Tip: Waste of money to book a pool suite, book the spa room or a standard ocean facing room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TChiv84
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear TChiv84

Our resort is designed with facilities to cater for families, couples and adult groups.

As you state, it is in an excellent location for beaches and major attractions. We are however disappointed that unlike the majority of our guests, you found that the quality of the food and service was lacking on this occasion. The unclean balcony you experienced is unacceptable but like most properties in tropical locations, damp smells often pervade during the rainy season.

We wish we could have made this part of your honeymoon more memorable but we thank you for your frank review.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the centara grand beach resort Phuket, to celebrate our fifth anniversary. From the moment we arrived till the moment we departed, the only words I can find to describe this place, is that it is a " little slice of paradise"

We originally were meant to stay at another hotel, but about a couple months before our departure from London, we were advised that our original hotel was being closed for renovations. So we started to look for an alternative. We wanted somewhere that was quiet, not on the main drag of patong beach which is renowned for its crazy nightlife. Our sole purpose of our holiday, aside from our anniversary, was to renew our energies, and concentrate on pure relaxation.

The hotel and it's team really went beyond all expectations, at first I was quite reluctant to stay here, because it was also a family geared hotel. I have nothing against this, but we were really after some peace and quiet. But the size of the resort meant that we were not swamped with screaming kids.

After day three of our eleven day stay, we were so impressed we didn't want to wait till the end of our stay to let the team know how amazing they were, so we wrote a note to the general manager, whom we had the pleasure of meeting just before our departure. We wanted him to know how great his team were. Everyone from the receptionists who checked us in, to the housekeepers to the team in the spa, everyone had made our stay so special.

On day two, our jetlag got the better of us so we booked a couples spa treatment. Three hours of complete bliss. I wasn't sure about booking a spa treatment, because I'm extremely ticklish. But after having advised the therapist about this, she used just the right amount of pressure during the massage bit. Towards the end of our treatment, we were so relaxed and mellowed out, that we really turned into mush and pretty much fell asleep. This spa experience has got me hooked to pampering, and can't wait to do this again.

The food was exceptional. Every day we had breakfast at the cove, and everytime, we enjoyed a wide variety of different dishes. They really do cater for everyone's tastes.

On some of the evenings we also ate at the cove, and the food was fantastic featuring local specialties and of course some western option. Again, there were no shortages of variety and everything tasted so fresh. Often at buffet restaurants, the buffet can get quiet messy with the amount of people going through,but everything was kept spotless, and replenished for people who wanted second helpings.

Also the restaurant staff were brilliant. On some nights or lunchtimes we ordered room service if we were staying in, which was also delivered quicker then the anticipated expected time they would tell you over the phone.

The housekeeping team were fantastic. I really wish I could remember the name of the lady who serviced our room everyday, because she was so attentive to our habits. She always made sure we had plenty of extra towels, toiletries and bottles of water during our long stay. We really felt at home.

One evening, we bumped into the executive housekeeper who chatted to us, and we happened to mention that we were both big coffee drinkers. Since our conversation with her, she made sure that our coffee tray always had extra non decafeinated coffee capsules, and even placed a jug of fresh milk in our mini bar. This was really appreciated.

For a hotel of this size, I have to say, everyone made you feel right at home, remembering conversations we had with them, and also noticing our little habits. Aside from everyone mentioned already, I must also commend the pool bar and bar manager and her team. We visited Luna bar a couple times, and enjoyed their warm hospitality and the great cocktails. We also visited the little beach bar on our first day, where we met her and she really helped set the right tone, as this was our first f&b experience upon checking in.

There are so many more things I could say about this hotel. But it would go on and on. We've read some pretty miserable reviews from past guests, and I honestly think they must have been staying somewhere else. I can't believe some people were complaining about the long corrdidors and the stairs. If people are that lazy, they could have rung reception and a buggy would have picked them up to take them to wherever they wanted in the resort. And i am certain the team would oblige without question. Our room was in block five, which is a walk from the reception. But how can you fault walking through breathtaking luscious tropical gardens. How can you fault the large variety of birds and butterflies, beautiful flowers and tropical fauna? I really can't see how this is a negative.

I've also read reviews from people who said that the staff were unpleasant and unhelpful. Again, these guests must have been staying on a different planet. Because everyone was so warm, friendly, efficient and helpful. We felt like being part of a family. This is a great sign of excellent management. Management who pick individuals who are passionate about hospitality, and this quality could really be seen throughout our stay.

The location of the resort is perfect, the beach is vast and very quiet. Room for everyone. Drinks and refreshments from the swim up bar are also served on the beach. All you have to do is ask.

In fact, nothing is too much. Everyone was always happy to assist.

We booked this hotel with a few initial apprehensions. But in the end, we were really impressed, and we would definitely return in a heartbeat, and cannot wait to return again!

This hotel is great on so many level :

- great value of money
- exceptional attention to detail
- warm and genuine staff
- excellent management
-unspoilt location
- convenient location, only a short walk to the restaurants in Karon. ( though, for those too lazy to walk...ie: those who complained about the stairs and long hallways at the resort) then there are local tuk tuks, and even chauffeured driven luxury cars available to take you(r lazy "behind") to Karon, or other sites on the island.
- great food and beverage available in all restaurants and bars
- excellent spa

Thank you to everyone at the centara grand beach resort Phuket for making our trip truly exceptional. We can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: We had room 515 a spacious pool suite, with it's own private plunge pool and with beautiful view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MayfairHotelier

Dear Mayfair Hotelier

Thank you for such a wonderful detailed review. It is a pleasure to see a guest who can truly appreciate the excellent facilities, beautiful setting and most importantly the quality of service we offer.

We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please return again soon so that my team and I can try to make your next stay even more memorable.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the centara for
8 nights for our honeymoon , check in was smooth but we did arrive around tea time. The room was a spa seaview room which was nice enough in terms of space and the bathroom was nice. However the room was
in good need of a dust and paint job in a lot of parts. The towels and linen also look quite old just not something you would expect from a 5 star establishment. Buffet breakfast was average - it does the job and they do have a large range considering the amount of people they cater for however the food really was just average. The resort is aimed at families and in that respect they cater quite well for providing that kind family friendly environment . We made use of the adult pool that was quiet and the poolside service was great! The staff can not be faulted in their friendly attitude or willingness to help. All in all if it's the 5 star romantic getaway you are looking for as a couple you won't get that here. It is 4 star at best and if I was reviewing the property as 4 star then it would score reasonably well. Having stayed at 5 star in Bangkok when we first arrived in Thailand they do not measure up. The location is good for getting into both karon and patong beach and happy hour at luna bar was another positive! The property currently is undergoing renovations so that will help to lift the tired lookig facade. I would have no hesitation recommending this as a family property and perhaps this is something I should mention to my travel agent , all in all good but not great!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Mira22

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members and the quality of service at the pool are most welcome.

We are also pleased that you found our convenient location to your liking. Although we are highly regarded as a family friendly destination, we do caterer for all needs and have many adult groups or couples staying with us, often as return guests.

As you alluded to, we are undertaking some renovations and by October all of our rooms will have received the maintenance they required after extremely busy years.

We are sorry you did not find the breakfast meal to your personal taste but the majority of our guests praise this meal very highly.

Finally, it is difficult to make a direct comparison between a beach resort and a city centre hotel, both of which are different in design, facilities and service style.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Today is our last day at this resort and what a wonderful experience. One of the best things was the service! The staff are so friendly and wonderfully helpfull. They even started remembering our names after the first few days!! They made so much effort with my 4 year old , I could not ask for better service. Thank you sooo much!!
The room was lovely with a spectacular view, we even had some flowers deluvered for good luck at night.
the breakfast was excellent with a wide variety every morning.
the buffet dinner was a bit expensive if compared with restuarants outside the resort but the food was fresh and tasted very good. Compliments to the chefs.
the life savers at the pool were also great. A big shout out to them for making an unforgettable experience for my son.
Love this place and would come back anytime.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank jjxfleischmann

Dear Jjxfleischmann

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our facilities and particularly regarding our team members and the excellent service they provided. They will be delighted to know that they have contributed to your enjoyable stay with us. I will ensure they are made aware of your comments.

We look forward to giving you a special welcome on your return.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Centara Grand in 2011 and we are now heading back for our second stay with them on the 25th September. We love the resort and when we asked our family where they waneted to go for holidays this year, their reply was "The Centara Grand - Phuket"

However, this time round I am really concerned about the request we have made for bedding arrangements as this time we are also taking my mother, aunt and in-laws.

In each of the rooms (Deluxe Ocean Facing) we have requested to have two double beds as in the first two there will be two adults and a child (I don't want the children sleeping on the couch). In the third room we have two females who do not wish to travel together. I have contacted the hotel to request this configuration but they have told me they can not promise anything despite the website stating that Deluxe Ocean Facing rooms can take two adults and two children.

It would just be nice to have the peace of mind knowing that when we arrive we wont have any hassles with getting the bedding right.

We truley love staying at the hotel and I don't think it should be such a problem for the hotel to confirm what they state is possible on their website anyway.

Despite this, whether you are travelling as a couple or as a family they hotel has something for everyone. We have had two groups of friends stay at the hotel since we did and they all say the same.

Fingers crossed that it all works out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear LisaCous_26

Thank you very much for return.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in 2011. We will ensure that you will have another wonderful holiday experience again this year.

Regarding our email correspondence for the request of bedding type, although it’s not guaranteed at this stage, we do try and ensure that our guests satisfy with our service provided.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have been booked into this hotel for a week, great amount of time to chill out and do not much.

Positives - great location, out of Patong and right on the beach. We can hear the sea constantly. Rooms generous size, we had booked the Superior room with Ocean View, a must. The weather wasnt great every day and used the balcony as a loungeroom....perfect. Breakfast room is great, food and diversity was ideal. Outdoor facilities like pool and restaurants, well equipped, clean and bar staff and waiters always nice and polite. Italian restaurant food was very nice, book it. Bed was lovely and firm.

There is an adult pool and kids pool, both enjoyable. We went on the kids slides a couple of days, brought out the kids in us :)

Negatives - the hotel rooms side are tired and maintenance needs to pick their socks up (we had a renovated room too). Balcony blinds broken everywhere across the resort, flapping in the wind - understand it was windy but this wasnt good. We had a plumbing issue with our first room (thats life no biggie) so we were promptly moved. Both rooms, the exterior blinds were broken and after mentioning this twice to the front desk, we gave up. Mould in ceilings of shower and toilets...easy fix with some bleach. Little things like calling for ice three times, calling for a power adaptor 2 times, room service trays out in the corridors for hours sometimes half a day....makes for an experience.

For the experience, this hotel is overpriced and is losing its competitive advantage. The hotel management really needs to lift its game in the service area. A blitz on customer service and appropriately train staff would definitely warrant the prices that are being charged....Im sure there is some type of training however, not enough. No site of management at all in the week we were here.

Room Tip: If you have a ocean view, go for buildings 3 or 4 or in building 2, be at the closer end near buildi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Furree

Dear Furree

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the team members, the location of the resort, the rooms and the excellent water facilities.

We apologise for the inconvenience on room move and the supply issues which should not occur so regularly in a 5 star resort and are matters that are being addressed through training and all concerns.

Quality Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!