This hotel has everything, it has the location, beautiful rooms, excellent food, and I cannot say to many negative things about it! As we had a good time, but it was not, what I would call great, for some silly things they fall down on. I could give the hotel in general 5 stars for our overall experience, but it does fall down in too many areas, it did not cause duress, and we could overlook them, but at a 5 star hotel, we shouldn't have to overlook anything!
I have read in a recent review that the hotel was pricey for food and drinks, but honestly I don't agree, I think £100 for a family of four in a five star hotel on the beach is reasonable, you have to remember your location, views and cost to keep the standards up, however this is where you have to to make your own opinion, based on your budget before you book.
I have paid in London £27 for two vodka and cokes, go to Mauritius and double that! we stayed at Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi, OMG £11.00 for a bowl of fries, So I think its prices are what you can expect to pay in a resort of this nature! We are well travelled, and these prices are the norm, it's not Butlins, but anyone reading this can decide for yourself, based on what you are used to, and your own budget. There are a lot of cheap eateries around, so this hotel is affordable, it's as cheap as you want to make it.
The food is very very good! Breakfast lets that down though, it was god damn awful, NOT the food, the set up, it's like a canteen, I balk at going on holiday, and having to stand waiting for a glass for orange juice, they do not, or cannot keep up with replacing bowls, and breakfast items! It's a family hotel, we should have know before we booked, that people who let their kids run round a dining room are going to be there, and they were, picking up the baked goods, fingering them and putting them back! Parents do not go and help their kids, so its a free for all!To get over this, I do believe they should have a booking system, something like 2-4 sittings, and you book the night before? That's a thought, maybe not possible, but beware, we went before 7 after our first experience of the zoo they call breakfast, and had experienced the bedlam! But as I said, our mistake, it is a family hotel! On a good note on breakfast, there is huge choice of dishes.
We had a room close to the reception, which is a good to away from the pools and bars, it had a lovely plunge pool, and enjoyed the soak after a long day, major points on that one. We had lovely tit bits left daily, with a great amount of bottled water which was very good! Unfortunately where there is good point, they fall down with a bad one, most nights we had to ring for towels, and they were never white like you would expect, they were grey, like they had been washed with something that had run into them? Peculiar as I have never been to a hotel that cannot keep their whites white. These are little things we overlooked, as they did not spoil our stay, and when we rang for towels, they came pretty quickly, but we shouldn't have to ring at all.
The open drains in Phuket, can sometimes be over powering around the resort, and other days hardly noticeable. Again nothing the hotel can do anything about, and its all over the island, just some days it's bad around the hotel.
The pool area, whoever designed this area, really did not do a good job, it looks beautiful, it has everything. But it's just so not user friendly! Like previous reviews, try to get a lounger, at the back of the pool, they are in rows, so you sit with total strangers not more than a foot away from you, with your feet in sand, round the side of the pool, they have some loungers in the water, thats good if you read, or have items other than your pool towel! (Stupid idea)the others round the sides are scarce, maybe 20 if that, and people keep the towels from the night before, and put them by the pool before 7am! Regardless of the hotel policy that is plastered on the back of loungers, saying first come first served, or we will remove items if you have not used the lounger within 2 hours. (They don't follow up on that at all)
The beach, well on the website it shows a long stretch of beach, that looks beautiful, it is, BUT only a small part is for hotel patrons, the rest is public! So 3-5 dogs on any given day wandering around is not unusual, they do rake the beach, but don't pick much up, so you can expect yesterday's smokers cig ends lying underfoot, and on one particular day we had to avoid the dog muck! That sounds worse than it actually was, and again, I am a dog lover so could overlook it. Not sure the hotel can do anything re:dogs even if they wanted to. But they can put bins out, put some ashtrays out, the kind with sand so they don't blow away, people are usually good and will use them, If they are close at hand. Beach toilets are not the best, they may clean them regularly, but they always seemed to be a haven for a mess of some sort, water on the floor, and just not as they should be, no air freshener, no nice flowers, so I used the Italian restaurant, again, nothing that spoilt my holiday, or my enjoyment!
The staff well they couldn't have chosen happier friendly people, the Thai people are smiley by nature, but at the resort they cannot do enough for you, I would like to say a big thank you to Thai, he was a really friendly and welcoming member of the hotel staff, Mr Manager, he deserves a thank you from your hotel, he is such a proud member of your staff!
Beach bar staff need a jack up, we never had our order right once, once we waited an hour for a panini, they had forgot to order it, by the time it came we had finished a full bottle of wine! They knew we were a "little" upset this time,and took the food off the bill, they should have paid for the wine to! But I don't think they wanted the manager to know why a bottle of wine was drank and not paid for, did they explain a missing panini lol
Apart from these few minor issues, and which if they sorted out, wow, this would be some place to stay, they would be 100% major player 5 star hotel!
All in all, if I had a family, this would be the hotel to go to, I recommend it highly! As a late 50s couple, it was good, but not up to the standard, of what and where we have been before! We enjoyed it, had nothing that we would "really" moan about, while there, but it's not a hotel I would go to next time I visit Thailand, but neither is Phuket! This is a really unbiased truthful review of our experience, and we enjoyed it, warts and all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Drawing its design theme from the Sino-Portuguese architecture that characterises Phuket Town, the five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is right on the sands at Karon Beach. The resort is backed by a green hill, and grouped around its own landscaped water park which features a meandering lazy river, waterslides, a kids’ pool with a waterslide, a cliff jumping platform, and an adults-only pool with its own pool bar. You will love the other exhilarating leisure activities on offer, including water sports (kayaking, windsurfing and sailing), snorkelling, tennis, and Muay Thai (Thai boxing). Diving can also be arranged, and there’s a fully-equipped fitness centre. Relaxation seekers will head to the award-winning Spa Cenvaree, a refuge for the senses which combines ancient healing practices that reflects Thailand’s wellbeing heritage with modern rejuvenation techniques to nurture and rebalance the body. The resort also has age-specific kids clubs, free Wi-Fi, and seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Each of the spacious rooms, suites and pool villas (49 to 209 square metres of total living space) is designed in a Sino-Portuguese décor and features a balcony or terrace with soothing views of the pools, the gardens or the sea. A number of rooms come equipped with an outdoor Jacuzzi while the suites comprise a plunge pool. Phuket International Airport is less than one hour by road from the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon