We were very excited about this resort and booked a nonrefundable rate based on previous good comments. Lesson learned from our experience at Centara. We arrived on Phuket after lengthy travel and were excited to check in and get to the beach. When we got to the hotel we were told that the room wasn't ready due to maintenance and we couldn't check in until 5:00- 3 hours after the check in time. We expressed that this wasn't acceptable and were kindly given free lunch in the restaurant and told someone would come get us at 5:00. Lunch was terrible, ants all over the inside restaurant table and the staff basically ignored us even when we wandered around looking for a restroom. 5:00 came and went so we called the travel agent and asked to be moved. We only had 3 days on the island and Centara cut into hours of prime beach time. The travel agent tried to call and explain to the Centara management that since they couldn't honor the contract with the advertised check-in time we wished to leave to try to find another hotel. The Centara management refused since we had a non-refundable reservation and insisted we would be liable for the costs since we would be breaking the contract. I found this response to be ridiculous considering they couldn't honor their advertised check-in time for the room type we reserved. We also requested in-person to the management of the hotel and explained there was nothing they could do to make up for the lost time time on the beach--the very reason why we chose this resort--and they still refused to let us check out. This soured our entire experience at this resort. It was very kind of them to pay for our 12 dollar lunch but that didn't make up for the experience we had and the loss of daylight beach time of 1 out of the 3 days. We also found the buffets at Centara to be tired, the food sat out for long periods not getting refreshed. We called down for towels one morning and waited 30 minutes. When they didn't appear we called again and the front desk seemed confused and said they would send them right away. They arrived 20 minutes later. Too late- we showered and used dirty beach towels in the meantime since the theme of this resort seems to be "your time isn't valuable to us". We had a great experience at all the other hotels we stayed in during our trip to Thailand, including a couple of 3 star hotels which had much better customer service than Centara.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is a modern five-star luxury resort built directly on the foreshores of Karon Beach. Designed with distinct Phuket colonial Sino-Portuguese architecture, the luxury accommodation comprises of 262 guestrooms and villas. All guestrooms have a balcony and are ocean facing. Room types consist of spa suites, pool suites, deluxe suites and one and two bedroom villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon