We stayed in a Spa Deluxe room with Jacuzzi 02-09 March and enjoyed our stay very much. The room (647) was on the highest floor and had a view of the garden, pools and beach/sea. Great room otherwise but perhaps a little bit too hard bed for our taste. For improvement we would suggest to change the manual wooden curtain in front of the balcony-doors into an electrical one(instead of the manual) as the sound when you pull it up and down (daily...) is just horrible...
A special thank you to our room-cleaner, Pui, who did a great job every day!
We found plenty of choices for different nationalities. Please note that there are also food-stations OUTSIDE, omelettes for example. Our new favourite was Roti (a kind of banana pancake) combined with frozen honey-yoghurt!
Everyone we met, from reception, spa, breakfast, the Cove, Luna bar, towel-service and guards were very friendly, professional and polite. A golden rule to remember is that "If you are friendly and polite to others, they will be the same to you..." Many times we felt sorry for the staff working, as many of the guests seems to come from "the never smile - do not care for anyone else but yourself-lands"...
We love to eat out when we are in Thailand so we only ate at the Cove when it was Sea-food-night. My husband simply loves sea-food so for him it was a treat, with plenty of dishes to choose from. If you want a bottle of wine it will cost around 1200 baht, we tried a rosé from Australia and didn´t like it, so be sure to know what you order...
For lunch we usually went to Kais at the end of the beach, excellent Pad thai with chicken or prawns. If you go there - give 100 baht for tip after payment and see (listen to!) what happens!
In the evenings we walked into Karon and found a very nice restaurant called Talay with the best Seafood soup with coconut-milk!
There is a part of the road, just outside the hotel, that is pretty dangerous, so if you have children I would advice you to take a taxi/tuk-tuk from the taxi-station outside the hotel instead.
As we are not "pool-people" but "beach-people" one of the main reasons we chose this hotel was the location - directly on the beach. The choice turned out to be a good one as this is a more quiet part of the beach but still very nice to swim out from. You even have some rocks at the end, if you are into snorkeling. BUT the hotel does not have enough beach-chairs on the beach. If you come later than 0800 in the morning the chairs will already be taken. While this didn´t seem to be a problem by the pools as there were always plenty of free chairs all day long.. If you manage to get sun-chairs on the beach you will be VERY close to the neighbours...So most of the days we went to the local chair-owner to the left and paid 200 baht per day. Which we didn´t mind so much to do, as we like to support different local businesses, but I imagine it can be very annoying for others...
A word of warning to parents with children - some waves that roll in can be very big, so
don´t let your children alone into the water unless they are used to big waves.
We were in luck the week we went, sunshine every day and only rain one evening. It was very warm during the days, so one needs to remember to drink water. We got the habit of drinking two coconuts every-day - it says that it balances the electrolytes in the body - perfect to drink in the heat.
Yes, they come every evening after sunset... Just be sure to have the balcony-doors closed, especially if you have a light on inside, and spray yourself with Sketolene, and all will be fine!
You are provided with towel-cards from the reception that you change into towels by the towel-station by the pool. If you stay for longer than one night you do not need to fill in your room-number and sign to just to get the cards back again, simply just ask for CHANGE of towels. Then on the day before your departure you sign out your cards to leave by reception when you check out.
All in all we had a nice, relaxing holiday, but Karon beach is perhaps a little bit "too big" for us. We tend to like smaller, more quiet places, and although the hotel is situated in a peacful place and that part of the beach is great, the feeling changes as you come towards the middle of the beach. But this is completely personal preferences, other people love when it is crowded, noisy and full of action, and here you can of course have both sides!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Drawing its design theme from the Sino-Portuguese architecture that characterises Phuket Town, the five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is right on the sands at Karon Beach. The resort is backed by a green hill, and grouped around its own landscaped water park which features a meandering lazy river, waterslides, a kids’ pool with a waterslide, a cliff jumping platform, and an adults-only pool with its own pool bar. You will love the other exhilarating leisure activities on offer, including water sports (kayaking, windsurfing and sailing), snorkelling, tennis, and Muay Thai (Thai boxing). Diving can also be arranged, and there’s a fully-equipped fitness centre. Relaxation seekers will head to the award-winning Spa Cenvaree, a refuge for the senses which combines ancient healing practices that reflects Thailand’s wellbeing heritage with modern rejuvenation techniques to nurture and rebalance the body. The resort also has age-specific kids clubs, free Wi-Fi, and seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Each of the spacious rooms, suites and pool villas (49 to 209 square metres of total living space) is designed in a Sino-Portuguese décor and features a balcony or terrace with soothing views of the pools, the gardens or the sea. A number of rooms come equipped with an outdoor Jacuzzi while the suites comprise a plunge pool. Phuket International Airport is less than one hour by road from the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Fastbooking, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon