This is a great hotel and very well located. It is at the end of the beach and so you can walk from the hotel & pool directly onto the beach without having to cross a road. There are no other hotels in the area where you can do this. We found the hotel and our room were clean, the A/C worked fine, we slept really well, the pool was fine, there were enough sun-beds and umbrellas.
The hotel staff are very friendly and always have a smile on their faces. Ok, so it's probablly not 5* but it's certainly 4* and hey, you're on holiday, ignore some of the petty comments about trivial little things and just enjoy yourselves. So the service may be a little slow occasionally but chill-out, like I said, you're on holiday - you will get your drinks and is it really a problem if they take 3 minutes and not 1?
The dinner buffet is just fine, costs about 24GBP per person - yes it may be expensive compared to the cheap cafe on the beach but in the grand scheme of things it's an OK price. My advice would be to eat in the hotel for about half your stay and for the other half venture into Karon or Kata (both just a short tuk-tuk ride from the hotel costing 4GBP and 6GBP respectively) and try out something more authentic and help support the local restaurants/businesses.
They have free internet at reception and in the bar - excellent as if this was available in the rooms then the children would spend all day in the room on their phones/iPads etc.
Don't do the trip to Phi-Phi Island - you'll feel like cattle being herded. We did it and when we arrived on Maya beach there were thousands of people there. You spend most of the time in a speed boat bouncing along at about 50kmh. It's a waste of a day.
Do have a massage in Karon/Kata. Do have a go at parasailing on the beach and rent a jet-ski. Do take a tuk-tuk up to the Big Bhuda and Chalong Wat and have a go on the elephants on the way (just arrange it with the tuk-tuk drivers outside the hotel, costs 28GBP for a morning for a grouo of 4)
Take cash (GBP, US$ or Euros) with you and change it in Karon/Kata - you'll get about 10-15% more than at the hotel. The hotel rooms all have a safe to keep your cash.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is a modern five-star luxury resort built directly on the foreshores of Karon Beach. Designed with distinct Phuket colonial Sino-Portuguese architecture, the luxury accommodation comprises of 262 guestrooms and villas. All guestrooms have a balcony and are ocean facing. Room types consist of spa suites, pool suites, deluxe suites and one and two bedroom villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Priceline, Fastbooking, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon