This is not a five-star resort. If you expect that, you will be very disappointed. This is our fifth trip to Thailand. We have visited a variety of hotels in various areas in the country, and this has been our least favorite, and the most expensive, so far. The location is great, the beach is excellent and the rooms are nice. Too bad the service, food and facilities do not match the location.
The service, particularly the check-in process, is horrible. When we checked in, my husband and I were given welcome drinks. We asked for water or orange juice for our two-year old son since we had just gotten off a long flight and hour-long taxi ride, but we were told there was a 200 baht charge. One would think a family resort would be a little more welcoming to its younger guests. We had reserved a jacuzzi suite with king bed, but were given a room with two beds. Our room was directly outside a housekeeper supply closet, and housekeepers stood there and talked loudly in the afternoons while our son was sleeping. The hotel offered to move us, but we were so tired, we decided to stay in the room. The next day, someone called (waking my son from his nap) to ask when we were moving rooms, even though we had told two of their front desk staff members we were not moving. Overall, housekeeping was very slow and unresponsive. We asked for our room to be cleaned, only to return four hours later to find that it hadn't been touched. Management offered us a free buffet dinner to apologize for the inconvenience, which we were reluctant to use since the food quality of the breakfast buffet was so low.
We spent most of our time eating at restaurants outside the resort after disappointing meals in the resort. Although the breakfast buffet had all the elements you would expect (fruit, cereal, pancakes, eggs, Asian and Western options), the quality was very low, sometimes inedible. Bacon was so tough it couldn't be eaten, omelets were runny and raw, and several of the cereals we tried were stale. We had to get up and find waiters to ask for coffee and tea since no one was paying attention.
I was surprised to see in another review that the hotel is only 2.5 years old. It seems much older and worn, and the facilities do not seem well-kept.
Another thing that really surprised us was the unfriendliness of the staff, particularly the front desk and housekeeping staff. On our other trips to Thailand, one of the highlights was always the welcoming and friendly nature of the Thai people. It's one of the many reasons we keep returning to Thailand. However, at Centara, most of the staff we encountered were unfriendly and surly. There were a few exceptions, but overall, we were very disappointed. We salvaged the vacation by trying to focus on the great location, interacting with the staff as little as possible and eating at restaurants on the beach or in town. Next time we return to Thailand, we will not be staying at this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is a modern five-star luxury resort built directly on the foreshores of Karon Beach. Designed with distinct Phuket colonial Sino-Portuguese architecture, the luxury accommodation comprises of 262 guestrooms and villas. All guestrooms have a balcony and are ocean facing. Room types consist of spa suites, pool suites, deluxe suites and one and two bedroom villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon