“Average hotel”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #14 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Having just stayed at this resort for 10 days, I have the following comments: while the rooms are beautiful, staff friendly and wonderful for kids, the service is really not good. The main problem with the service is the lack of English spoken by staff. This is portrayed as 5 star international hotel and as such staff need to be able to understand what guests are saying and requesting in order to provide good service. It was really frustrating when you asked for something and staff did not understand. Also, the hotel didn't have enough pool towels which is unacceptable and also ran out of chicken the one day, sweetener for coffee, diet coke at the pool bar and pizzas, also unacceptable for a 5 star hotel . The air conditioning seemed to be set on one temperature and was freezing and there is also an unpleasant smell in some areas of the hotel, especially outside the kids club. We are now at the centara in koh Samui and while the rooms are not great, the service and ambience is fantastic. If we return to Phuket, I don't think it will be to the centara.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian L
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Ian L

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the friendliness of the staff, the quality of our rooms and the excellent children’s facilities.

We apologise for the numerous supply issues. While delivery delays can occur, this should not occur so regularly in a 5 star resort and is a matter that is being addressed.

While there is room for improvement, the majority of our staff speak English to a sufficient level to carry out their role and this ability is reflected in the usual positive reviews. The staff are mainly exposed to English, Australian and American accents and can often find other accents difficult to understand. This is being addressed through training.

We are sorry you are not considering a return as a future visit would undoubtedly show many of your concerns had been addressed.

There are newer reviews for Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We recently spent 12 nights at this wonderful hotel. I would by no means call it a 5 star resort, as it by no means measures up to other 5 star resorts we have stayed in previously. A decent 4 star would be appropriate. We stayed in a deluxe pool room overlooking the "lazy river". Kids absolutely loved the hotels pool facilities, and the restaurants were all good, although much better value is to be enjoyed out in the streets. Hotel staff not up to 5 star standard though, but overall experience was good. Great situation on Karon beach, and close to all the best beaches, Kata being our favorite, and to Patong for a little nightlife and shopping. All round a fantastic holiday in Phuket.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tony R

Dear Tony R

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you felt the resort was not up to your expectations of a 5 star hotel. We are however, delighted that you found your overall experience an enjoyable one.

Please visit us again and perhaps we can show you many of the improvements we are trying to implement.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My sister aand I have just had 9 nights here, from the moment we checked in we were made to feel special.. The service was truly amazing!!! The staff are fabulous and soooo friendly!!! We were in Block 7, perfectly situated in the middle of resort..We were on the 3rd floor. Great views. Check in was a breeze which was much appreciated after the long flight from Cairns.. Welcome drink was a nice touch.
This resort has the best of all worlds,the quietness of Karon Beach, but close enough to Patong if you really felt the need for the hustle and bustle..The ADULT only pool was a great touch, just having the silence and no splashing etc from kids was Fab..
The food was amazing, the buffet breakfast WOW!!! Could there have been anymore choices?? Thank Goodness for the well set up Gym!!! The Spa treatments are to die for..We had a 4 hour package that was amazing.. If we had this treatment in Aus it would have been four times the price.. The staff here were so good we wanted to take them home with us.. Overall a 10 out of 10. couldn't find a thing to fault and I trave a lot.. We are already planning a return visit next year!!!

Room Tip: Try and stay in block 7, it is situated in middle of resort, conveniently located to everyhting the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Denise P

Dear Denise P

The staff have fond memories of you and your sister. We are so glad you had a memorable stay with us and are very much looking forward to your return this year.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

It was our first trip to Phuket and we had a 10 day stay with my husband and our two daughters aged 7 and 4. Took close to 2 hours to get to the Hotel from the airport so it was a long trip after a very long flight from Melbourne, Australia but upon arrival this Hotel looked Amazing at night, just gorgeous. The lobby was quite small I thought for a 5 star resort but it was functional. We had a lovely welcome drink and our check in was quick which was fantastic. We stayed in room 614 in an amazing Deluxe pool suite which was a great spot as it wasn't far from the pool and lazy river, our view was right near to the waterfall and we were on the ground floor which was still high enough to have a great view but I highly recommend this area if you have kids are are scared to go to the higher levels. The kids loved the pool, watersides, the jumps and we did too :) Facilities were fantastic and it definitely caters for kids and adults. My husband and I treated ourselves to massages at the spa whilst the kids went to the Kids Club and they actually wanted to go there everyday which was great for us to get some time out. Every other resort we stayed at our kids never liked going to the kids clubs. Restaurants were of a high quality and we were very surprised of the variety of foods available and the quality. The Mare restaurant was fantastic Italian food and our daughters loved the pizza!! Also they took a pizza making class and loved it. The beach was clean and amazing, although we did discover that there are only a number of limited spaces available for the Hotel customers and that we actually paid for seats one time, so you have to get in early to get a spot. We also travelled to Patong everyday for some shopping and taxi's were quite cheap and available all the time. We went into Karon which was only a 5-10 min walk a few times which was great as well. Overall, highly recommend to all and we had a amazing stay. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking a Deluxe pool suite and in Block 6 if you have children because it is clo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mary B

Dear Mary B

Thank you for your review and your recommendation for our hotel. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed the resort and its excellent facilities.

We are looking forward to extending you a warm welcome on your return.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My fiance and I started our honeymoon here with a 5 night stay. We arrived after two long flights to welcome drinks, and a friendly staff. Our room was located in Block 3. We kindly asked if they had a room available in the popular Block 9, which they did not at the time but might have the following day. When we got to our room, they called and told us that guests had just left a room in that block and offered to show it to us. We loved the view from that building and the proximity to the ocean, but being so close to the pool we were worried about noise. We decided to stay in the quieter block 3. The room was beautiful, however with a few minor issues like dirty caulking in the shower. There is a problem with yellow water throughout the whole resort. I am not sure if this is a safety issue, but we dealt with it. In my opinion, unless you like the noise of Patong, Karon Beach seemed to be one of the best beaches to visit on the west coast. The beach was beautiful and quiet and the town was an easy 10 minute walk away, or a 200 Baht cab. The town had just enough activity without being too overwhelming. We were welcomed with a honeymoon cake, and loved the rose petal turn down on our first night. The breakfast buffet is huge; full of many breakfast and lunch items. As part of our package, we had spa treatments which were really nice as well. The staff could definitely use more training in English and have more knowledge about the town. It was very hard to find a concierge who could recommend a good restaurant. Now, at one point during our stay my wife and I both got terrible stomach sickness. Hers lasted for days. I cannot say if this was from the hotel food, yellow water, or the food in town. There is no way of telling. I could go on, but overall I would say that this is one of the best resorts in the area. I definitely would not call it 5 stars as Americans or Europeans may be used to, but it is a solid 4 or 4.5. It definitely seemed to be a good value for the price. Oh, the beds are hard like other people have reviewed. Not prison hard, just not super plush.

Room Tip: Block 3 is quiet and located in the middle between the beach and the lobby.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pkashinsky

Dear Pkashinsky

Thank you for your review and the extremely positive comments regarding our hotel location, facilities and dining experience.

Unfortunately, the yellow water is a mains supply issue that is affecting many areas in Phuket. Obviously tap water is not drinkable but the discolouration, although unpleasant, is not harmful when used for bathing.

The general standard of English amongst our staff is improving. The majority of our staff do not come from Phuket and we recognise, as you have pointed out, that their local knowledge is sometimes limited. This is being addressed through training.

We are delighted that your overall experience of our hotel was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is one of the best hotel I have stayed so far, really among the top 5. We stayed in a suite with a private jacuzzi and vith a view. Breakfast was very good, too good in fact, but then one could have plenty of exercise in the spa or in the pool. Italian restaurant inside was great. Enjoyable experience through and through.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Norma C

Dear Norma C

We are delighted that you had a memorable stay with us and managed to get the correct balance between enjoying the great food on offer and utilizing our excellent fitness facilities- always a tough task on holiday!

Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Pro's - Amazing view, nice swimming pool, good restaurant.
Con's - Rude staff, not family friendly, run-down, unprofessional.

As a first time traveler to Thailand after seeing the photos of this resort I was excited to be staying at a romantic yet family friendly location. Unfortunately from the minute we stepped into the resort the illusion was shattered. We arrived to check-in around 2 pm and were told our rooms weren't ready and to go and have lunch as they would be ready on our return. When we returned to the resort at 4 pm we were informed our rooms STILL weren't ready and could not be given a definitive timeframe for when they WOULD be ready. In fact the front desk staff was incredibly rude - a huge shock to me as up to this point my impression of Thai people was how friendly they were. After much drama and raised voices we were reluctantly given rooms (not the ones we had been promised), a free dinner (which we didn't actually want) and nasty glares for the duration of our stay.
The view from the rooms was spectacular and the bathroom was nice, but the room smelt of damp and had evidence of water damage along the floor rails. Each room had a balcony however our room also had a nest of ants living on the chairs on the balcony which made using it all but useless.
Getting to and from the rooms was quite a chore and the resort was a bit of a maze. Every day we were there lifts didn't work - either completely broken or leaving you in darkness as the lights inside them weren't working forcing us to walk through whole other blocks of rooms just to get back to our room. The stairs up and down to the pools and restaurants was also slippery almost all the time and quite dangerous. Virtually every member of our group slipped over on them at some point.
The pool was amazing and our children loved it. The pool bar was also pretty good. The pools gave a lot of variety for the kids to try, however once again little things just showed the unprofessionalism of the resort such as not having enough towels. Guest upon guest was turned away told there were no pool towels and yet the pool area wasn't full on at least two of our visits to the pool, including ourselves.
The beach was nice, however we discovered it wasn't really safe for our children to swim in as despite having fish quite close to the beach the underwater seabed was littered with plastic rubbish, torn sandbag canvas and broken glass. Such a shame that that underwater view didn't equal that above the water.
The children's club was two rooms - one with video games and another with a baby/toddler area and some art and craft activity. Our children had been excited about the kids club based on previous resorts we had been to but hated this one. They repeatedly called it boring and we were reluctant to leave our children there (only doing so as we had a spa booked across the way) as the supervision of the children seemed very casual. They couldn't wait to leave when we picked them up ... I don't think the staff on the desk even noticed us take them away to be honest.
We chose to splurge on a his'n'hers massage at the resort hoping for a relaxing, romantic experience. The Spa staff immediately told us we would only have a 45 minute massage (we had booked an hour long massage) as we were allegedly "late" (we were not late - we had arrived 15 minutes early based on the clock in our room! Also had other friends be told the same excuse!!). Instead of being relaxed and romantic we were rushed into a room where we were given a normal massage I would barely pay HK$200 for in Hong Kong! There was nothing special or calming about it at all. At the end of the massage we were rushed out of the room, without the slippers I had worn in, and left to sit in a middle area that smelt very musty and mouldy while being eyed by the Spa staff who wanted us to leave. I felt totally ripped off by the experience.
The restaurant was nice, and I was impressed by the executive chef. He visibly had control of his staff and made them remove things he wasn't happy with. The range of food was good and for the most part well cooked - possibly the only part of the resort I would rate as worth it.
On our last day we had been told we would be allowed to check out a little later, which we were very happy about. I was in the room with my child who wasn't feeling very well, only to have the door opened (without any knocking) around 11 am in the morning. The housekeeper quickly ran out and closed it again upon realising we were still there only to come back 15 minutes later and knock on the door asking when we were leaving and implying I should 'hurry up and get out'. I was so angry with the desk staff for not conveying the message of a late check-out to the housekeeping staff and to all the staff in general for their rudeness. A restaurant meal on the first night did not compensate at all for a completely ruined holiday.
I would barely rate this resort a 3 star establishment, and would NEVER stay there again (or any Centara resort after such a horrible experience) and actively encourage my friends to look at other resorts when staying in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank LisamareeinHK
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear LisamareeinHK

Thank you very much for your review.

As you have raised a number of issues, I would like to address each one as below.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you suffered on check in by the unacceptable delay in your room being made available.

I do however wish to point out, that our team members are highly conscious of their duty to our guests and have never been known to or accused of raising their voices or being rude. In fact it is often the case that a guest becomes irate while the team member tries to calm the situation.
With respect to your issues regarding the room, we have no record of you raising these concerns at the time of your stay. If you had done we may have been able to resolve the problems.

The shortage of towels you mention is fully accepted. Unfortunately, we did not have control of the beach area in front of the hotel at the time of your stay. Despite our efforts at the time to keep the beach cleaned, rubbish on the beach was a problem. This has again been resolved, as we now control the beach area concerned and it is cleaned as a daily basis.
Slippery floors after periods of heavy rain are again a problem of the hotel, and is addressing through the purchase of non-slip matting to place in the worst affected areas.

I am sorry to hear that your children were bored with the variety of activities on offers in the Kid’s Club. The fact that the Club is regularly full, would suggest that most children enjoy the facility. Guest feedback also reflects this.

I have investigated your Spa experience with our Spa Manager. I am informed that your group of 6 people were 1 hour late for your arranged 60 minute massage. I am not sure how your checked the time, but we do not have clocks in our guest rooms. You were informed that there was only 45 minutes available for your massage but you would not accept this. The Spa Manager was then forced to seriously inconvenience other guests by delaying their treatment, to accommodate your party.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the restaurant and food.

Finally I would like to point out that our hotel has been awarded the 2012 Travellers’ Choice for Family and regularly receives excellent reviews for the friendliness and service provided by the staff.

Sales & Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Movenpick Resort & Spa Karon Beach Phuket

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!