“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #15 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Melbourne
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We (family of 5) stayed at the resort in June/July this year. We spent 10 days here. The first 5 were beautiful and then the next it rained non stop virtually. The pool area is magnificent and you could just sit there for hours relaxing. My youngest 14, had a great time on the slides etc. We ate mostly out in Karon either walking or Tuk Tuk ride in as this was inexpensive. Rooms were great. A bit of a stuff up with the booking. I had booked initially for 4 of us through Sawadee, then late in piece my older son decided to come and I emailed the hotel this directly.
Unfortuneatly they could not provide an extra bed so we had to make do with couch in the room.
Not that comfortable but we had to make do. Asked several times for fold up bed to no avail.
Apart from this we all enjoyed the resort thoroughly. Breakfast in the Cove each day was fresh and lovely with lots of variety.
The floors were a littkle bit slippery in some sections when it rained but there were signs around to notify guests of this.
Overall, I would not hesitate to go back to Centara Grand but hopefully when the weather was more consistent.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 2 on the third floor it was good. We had a lovely view of the Adult Pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MsMacC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I think all the reviews cover most of the information/advice on offer very well. All I can say is, this was my 3rd visit to Phuket and our 6th visit to Thailand, so it is obvious that we love the culture/country. I can not fault our stay in any way shape or form, everything was excellent, to a high standard, many thanks. We were invited to the "Managers cocktail hour" where we met the management team, they strive very hard to maintain and improve on their service. The reception area is quite small, however I do not go on holiday to sit in the lobby, and it functioned well. Yes the TV in English is limited (there is news & film in English), again I do not go on holiday to watch TV. The hotel and room were cleaned everyday to a high standard,nothing was too much trouble for the staff, a note to the management, you have an excellent workforce of which you should be proud as they are a major asset to you. Would I go back, simply put yes, why not, it ticked all the box's, we enjoyed it and found it impossible to find fault. We used the small local restaurants a 5 minute walk from the hotel, they were well priced,great value for money,clean,great menus and best of all grateful for your business. To finish off, there is nothing to worry about at this resort, perhaps my expectations are not as high as some people, my advice, Go, try you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Paddy396
Leopold, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have just returned from a heavenly week spent at Centara Grand Beach Resort, my husband, daughter,son-in-law, 20mth old grand-daughter & I travelled to Phuket to attend the wedding of my niece. Being a keen reader of Trip Advisor & having read some of the negative comments left about this Resort I was beginning to become concerned, especially travelling with a little one BUT I need not have worried at all. I cannot believe what some people complain about. From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure we were treated with such friendliness & kindness from all the staff. We stayed together in a 2 bedroom villa which had everything you could ask for plus more. We ate at all the restaurants with all meals being amazing & reasonably priced, even the head chef from Mare came to out table to speak to us. My only complaint would be the many cases of complete rudeness from some other guests towards the staff, treating them like second class citizens & with many who apparently left any manners they had at home. I would gladly return to this resort & would highly recommend it as a wonderful place to stay. Our room, the Restarants, pools & especially the Lazy River were immaculately clean & well serviced. We were sad to leave but we will return one day. Congratulations Centara Grand on your world class Resort.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Julie C
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my third trip to Phuket and I have always enjoyed the island, the local Thai service & overall Asian ambiance - including elephants, cobras and all............

The Centara is a nice hotel conveniently located to a number of towns. It has pluses and minuses:

The Good Stuff:

(1) Very nice clean rooms with Asian themed decorations. Very large balconies & nice views.
The only negative seemed to be that the air conditioning was centrally controlled and the
room was too cold the first 4-5 nights and then too warm the remaining 6 nights. The room
climate control did not adjust the temperature adequately.But i still loved the room.
(2) Very convenient & pleasant hotel location - close to restaurants & shops and in a lush tropical
setting.
(3) Compact hotel campus - everything was "right there" and close at-hand.
(4) Long excellent beach, as well as nice pools (one for adults with a GREAT view)..
(5) Courteous staff and good room service - fast response times for repair services (plugged
shower drain) as well as requests for potable water and delivered food into the room.
(6) Nice Spa center
(7) A free nightly program featuring a variety of Thai songs, dances & skits.
(8) Hotel food prices quite reasonable - if you compare what is charged elsewhere.

The Negative Stuff

(1) The hotel room was not ready on check-in and we had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get into our room
(after an all-night flight). On the positive side the hotel did provide a free lunch while we
waited for our room. We saw the same thing happen to other hotel guests the next day.
(2) The hotel reception area is quite small and humid due to the artificial waterfall in the back of
the reception area. I have never seen a smaller reception area for a 5-star hotel.
(3) The buffet breakfast is mediocre - the selection does not vary enough for a 10+ day stay.
(4) The cable TV offering is very limited - not enough news & movie channels.
(5) The reception staff is "so-so". For instance, It did not provide me with a receipt for my
final hotel payment and I had to repeatedly request a "paid in full statement".

All-in-all I would say it was a reasonable place to visit and I do NOT heve any regrets that i stayed in the Centara. If not for the few issues I mentioned above I would have rated it higher than "very good".

Room Tip: Try an upgraded seaview room in the middle of the hotel - 4th floor or thereabouts.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel. Upon reading an earlier revew, I'm thinking someone has got the hotels mixed up as there are so maby Centara's!
The rooms are clean and spacious, the staff is so friendly and are more than willing to help you with all of your needs and the facilities awesome. My friends stayed in the two bedroom pool villa which was magical and we stayed in the spa room which suited us better (and obviously more affordable).
We used the babysitter service (6 and 7 year old girls) and the kids oten took themselves into the kids club for activities they learned they couldn;t live without. We kept a pretty close eye on the kids in the beginning but soon learned that there were so may staff members especially by the pool to watch over them, I soon felt comfortable enough for the kids to not have to be joined to my hip. And as much as my girls love to shop, I couldn;t get them out of the pool for the whole 10 days! It has kiddy pools, waterfalls, rock jumps, an adult pool and sections where you could be on sand or not. The best enertainment for my kids ever!
These people genuinely care and always stop whatever they are doing to say hello, how are you. I left my ipad in the room in the rush to pack and when I called from the airport, the manager told me she had already found it and will be notifying me by email re sending it back. I told her I'd call as soon as I landed and when I didn't, she called because she was worried I hadn't landed safely! Too swet.
We are already looking at booking for next year and still explaining to my 6 year old why we can't permanently live at Centara Grande!
The breakfast selection is off the charts and all meals we ate were great.
Can't recommend it enough!!
Kim

Room Tip: If you have kids, I advise to rooms with a pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kim v
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have just come back from celebrating our anniversary and honeymoon at Centara. I must admit that past reviews nearly swayed my decision but I'm glad we stuck to our guns.
The grounds, reception area and our ocean facing room was brilliant. Our room was always cleaned and we enjoyed the little touches with our turndown service. Reception was always more than helpful and very prompt with any dealings.
The Buffet Breakfast was always delicious and never too overcrowded. Food and drinks I found to be reasonably priced.
My only let down was the BBQ buffet on a Thursday night. The meat and Prawns were not cooked properly.

Overall our stay was wonderful and I would recommend this place to anyone. We will definitely be back with our kids in tow.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Sinastar
Narre Warren North
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently returned from 7 night stay at Centara Grand Phuket and absolutely loved it. The first night on arrival i was a little disappointed as i was told that the room that i had booked and paid for was not available and we had been given an upgrade to a spa deluxe room which i dont believe was an upgrade as room was alot smaller than the Premium Ocean View room that i had booked. Spoke to reception who apologised and organised for a our room to be available for us the next morning - new room was amazing. From then on our holiday was fantastic! Beautiful pools and surrounding, perfect for kids and adults. Breakfast was great with a huge variety.

Room Tip: We had room 227. Premium Ocean View with massive balcony. Woke up to a beautiful view of the ocean e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,335 reviews

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!