“Honeymoon”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #14 of 134 Hotels in Karon
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The people are lovely, very friendly.Breakfast was great, resort is beautiful, but not 5 star. Dont expect any special treatment as honeymooners, we got nothing, not even a bottle champagne. Our room was over tbe main pool area
we would of liked a more quieter room away from kids Checkin took to long, because We arrived early 10.30, check in is 2 pm, we were told to go the pool area and have look around. Not a place I wanted to be in as it was stinking hot. All I wanted to do is put my bathers on & jump in. Went for dinner once, expensive & not recommended, food is cheaper outside the hotel. Great resort for family.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank suezett21
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
The reason we did not do anything about your honeymoon is because the agent you book your holiday simply forgot to let us know, so please check with them as I did with my team.
For people arriving long before the normal Check In time, we decided yesterday that they will be given access to shower at Spa with a treatment of their choice free of charge, and be offered a light meal at our all day dinning room with my compliment.

Our restaurant prices are in line with all the other hotels of our category.
Some guests prefer eating in small eateries and some regret it dearly for a night or 2.

You think we are not 5 star and it is your right, our 5 star competitors in Karon which are 10 to 25 years older than us score worth than us on Trip Advisor rating.

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Yes its true bed bugs ... the story is as follows:
My family of four (two parents, two teenagers) stayed at the Centara Grand for 8 days in mid-September 2012, just before most Australian schools broke for the school holidays.
First things first, no this is not 5 star as most would know 5 star to mean, but once you accept that initial disappointment you realise the resort is quite OK if you're in buildings around the pool, or near the beach and you're in a room with no uninvited guests like bed bugs! Yes. My wife and I were eaten quite badly and NO, NOT MOSQUITO BITES - BED BUGS. Trying to explain the situation to the staff was difficult, and how a cursory glance at the bed in broad daylight with bed bugs being nocturnal etc. Even after showing the bites all over our bodies. Our kids were fine in the adjoining room but not us. We were in building 6. Luckily we were able to eventually speak with a lovely apprentice manager from Switzerland who immediately made arrangements for us to be moved. We were "upgraded" to rooms in building 9 on the beach. I say "upgraded" because again, although the kids had a great room this time a few rooms away on the same level, our room had a terribly strong sewerage smell in it. After reading about this on Trip Advisor as being a common complaint I anticipate management's response will be to blame a neighbouring establishment. Let me state quite clearly, the sewerage problem for us was room specific. Not next door, not out on the balcony - IN THE ROOM. It was worst when everyone else in the building used the showers and toilets the most (morning and evenings). The staff knew of the problem and so tried to mask the smell with lemon scented candles etc. It sort of worked, but the bad smell was very persistent. After having been moved once, with the occupancy rate high and no other rooms that would be near the kids, we put up with it for the remaining nights and had to have all the windows (and often the door) open. Certainly at night to sleep. Its definitely a local plumbing problem. At least there were no bed bugs in this room - maybe they didn't like the smell.
Other advice I can give is don't bother paying extra for a spa or spa on balcony room - you are not going to use it unless you like soaking in brown / yellowish water. It might be a good fake tan alternative! Oh, and yes its true - the beds are very hard be warned.
The last bad part was that two of us got gastro, just as we were about to spend 9 hours flying home. Great ! The toilets at Bangkok airport are actually quite good and clean - I know from frequent visits!
OK back to the resort. The pools are good, especially the 'river pool' and water slides. The breakfast banquet is good, the staff are friendly, the beach is actually pretty good and so is the little restaurant on the beach. The WiFi should really be included in the deal, its annoying to have to pay about $20 extra for what we all take for granted now. Again, this is another thing that makes Centara not really 5 star.
Although we checked it out, we never got to use the adult only pool - too far to walk from our building but it looked OK too.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if you can they have a much better balcony which is space you will use.
3 Thank Matt D
No it is not true we did not have bed bugs. We checked this room after you moved to another one by dismantling all bed features, screened the mattress and even open the light switches nothing could be found, I can send picture of what we did and the report from our Executive House Keeper.

On the other hand you are right on the bad smell in Building 9, we now know where it is from, a defect on construction and design piping which we are rectifying now.
Yes the previous comment on sewage smell was coming from our neighbors, I am not making up stories as you suggested on your review and when we are wrong we usually apologize and fix problem the fastest we can.

Sorry to hear about your gastro, It would have been useful to learn where did you get the food from, your review is not specifying this.

The WIFI wail included as from next year.

After 22 month of operation you may think we are not a 5 star yet but we are getting closer every day, I promise.

Best regards.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had a luxury suite with our own private pool/spa. The grounds of the hotel are amazing. We had ocean view from our front balcony,where our pool was. We could also see the pool also.There were several things to do. They have waterslides, diving off the edge, spas, swimming. The several restaurants were amazing. Your every whim was accomodated. In room dining,when you wanted. The rooms were cleaned daily and your beds turned down nightly. They left you a tropical fruit basket daily and bottles of water daily. In the afternoon we would get a complimentary vip platter sent to our room. When i needed surf lessons, Game organised everything for me. I had wake up calls. We were treated so well and the staff were absolutely wonderful. Always lovely,friendly and ever so helpful. The smiles lit up your day. I recieved in room calls to make sure i had everything we needed. They even organised private drivers for us. Yes you had to catch a tuk,tuk or a taxi to Patong, Karon and Kata, but it was alot of fun. $9 return to Karon,$12 return to Kata and around $15 return to Patong. Our breakfasts were amazing.There were roman type columns and marble tiles everywhere.So grand and beautiful.Our room was large with a wonderful bath and extra large shower.We were given towels for our pool and towels for our showers. Then if we went to the pools or beach we would get towels. You could order food at the pool or beach. The whole package was amazing. We had king sized beds and air conditioning. Also supplied was shampoo,conditioner, body lotion, shower caps, needle.threads,soap,sunscreen lotion,body gel,and moisturiser. We also had toothbrushes and toothpaste as well as mouthwash! My 15 year old and 23 year old and i had a ball. This was 5 star at it's best! When we arrived we recieved drinks and cool towels. When we were picked up from the airport we recieved flowers . That was a lovely touch. We were also invited to a cocktail party by the manager. It was fantastic. When you plan a holiday to Thailand,dont forget to take electolite,eno,panadol,tea tree oil and bandaids. My children were only unwell i night each as i was prepared.Only drink bottled water and only eat at really good restuarants. The staff at Centara showed me places on the internet and made bookings for us.You always get what you pay for in the end and the manner in which you conduct yourself will get you further if you look at the positive approach to dealing with any issues. They even made chicken soup for the children if you ask. Overall,it was a magical experience for all of us. We had the time of our lives. Walking around the grounds of Centara grand Karon is an expereince you dont want to miss. They even gave us a DVD momento to take home. Magical and grand.

Room Tip: We chose a luxury suite to have our own pool spa and the room and outside area was amazing. Well wor...
3 Thank franny55
Thank you so much for your great review, the part I like so much is: You always get what you pay for in the end and the manner in which you conduct yourself will get you further if you look at the positive approach to dealing with any issues.

Perth
Reviewed October 5, 2012

From the moment we arrived this holiday did not meet our expectations. We booked this hotel as we were assured we would have 1 room with 2 double beds for our young children. I had read on trip advisor that people did not always receive what they booked at this hotel so I e-mailed twice 2 weeks before leaving to try to ensure we would have this room. When we arrived after a very long flight we were given a room over the other side of the resort from my parents with 1 double bed, a roll away single bed and my other child was expected to sleep on the sofa. We were very disappointed as we do not believe that when paying for a 5 star hotel a child should have to sleep on the couch. We had to ring for sheets and there was no milk available to make tea or coffee. By this time I was not happy and rang management insisting we were transferred to another room. After 4 to 5 attempts and refusing to accept what we had been given we were upgraded and moved. Within 24 hours (we had not left the hotel) my little girl came down with acute gastro and required medical attention and injections. I was terrified of this in another country. My Father and the rest of my entire family became violently ill all within 12 hours. Not once during this nightmare did management call to see if we needed assistance. I was mopping up sick with wipes I had bought with us. Housekeeping did not sanitize our room for days and sick filled linen was left in the passages for hours. We were constantly rang to see if we could move rooms as they wanted the upgraded room back. When we finally moved rooms the toilet became blocked and by this point I had to beg for help from Housekeeping, the smell was terrible. We lost a great deal of money in Doctors fees, we missed tours, everyone we spoke to in the corridors was saying the same things.
The hotel looks impressive, the pools are great, kids club is good but many activities have to be paid for. We were given a complimentary meal but was too terrified to eat it. Breakfast inside is covered in flies, the beach is dirty with open drains running into the water. Most days the water from the taps was yellow, one morning it was orange and full of grit. The fridge door was broken, the fan chain snapped when I tried to turn it on, the plug/drain in the shower was loose.
My husband broke his toe on the slippery wet marble walkways.............
I could keep going....we lost a holiday we had been saving for and looking forward to for a whole year. I am just glad we are safe now at home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AlfiePerth
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Disaster in your case is an under statement to my point of you.
I must admit we failed miserably and for this may I extend my profound apology.

for your room type, yes we were full and struggled to manage your arrival properly, since a new Front office Manager with a lot of experience has started a week a ago and will ensure that this issue is manage professionally.

The House keeper shown me her report and apologize not having changed your bed sheet the last night of your stay.

k Kik, Duty Mgr inquired on your well being daily so she said, I instructed the team to elevate our Management involvement to a higher level in this type of severe case.

The Tera Clear product sanitizing rooms occupied by sick people is used on each case and so for a week now.
The Doctor confirms that the same type of your illness is reported in small numbers in many hotels in Phuket and is developed by a majority of people of the same origin.

Flies presence on buffet set in tropical islands are common; the chef is now covering each dish by a net cover.

The beach was dirty at the time of your stay, since we took full control of it and is now to my point of view the cleanest in Phuket.

The black pipe as stated times and times again is NOT a sewage pipe but the municipality way to pump sea water to convert it in sweet water in a plant located back of our resort, I hope you can get this point once and for all.

I am terribly sorry to learn of the broken toe of your husband, I wish him prompt recovery. We have added additional mats throughout the resort which should not stop people to be cautious walking in any part of Phuket during monsoon season.

Should you wish to come back, please contact me directly, I would make you the most attractive offer to make do for the spoiled holiday I am so sorry it turned so badly for you.

Looking at the majority of our reviews, fortunately your experience with us is surely not the norm.

Warmest regards,

Wamuran
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the September school holidays and from the moment we stepped into the hotel, we were amazed at the beautiful grounds and lovely friendly staff and there helpfulness. We arrived very late/early in the night (approx. 2am) and the staff managed our check in very quickly and had us to our rooms within 20 minutes or so of arriving. We had a Deluxe Pool Suite which consisted of 2 double beds, perfect for our two adults and two children. Rooms had a big bathroom and enough room to move around, really we only slept in it!!! We were on Building 9 on the water - was so lovely sleeping to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. Was also very close to the pool. The pools at the resort are amazing fun, the waterslides, rock jumping and lazy river kept everyone (adults and children) entertained for hours. We were travelling in a group of 5 families and hired a Pavilion around the pool area for a bit more than 1000 Bht per family and we had it for the week. It was a perfect base for us all to meet up and the kids always new where we were to come back too. The pool staff were fantastic, and new most of the kids by there name, which made them feel very special. Cocktails around the pool is an excellent way to relax while the kids swam.

The hotel location is ideal, only a short 5 minute walk to Karon shops and restaurants, but far enough away from the hussle and bustle of traffic and people. Perfect for younger children. Ordering a taxi only took 1 minute and we could go anywhere within reason. Tuk Tuk's were everywhere and very easy to ride, perfect for bigger groups as they seat approx. 8 people in each (depending on how much shopping you have!!!).

We also had Club Benefits and enjoyed lunch time and afternoon snacks in the Club Lounge. Very peaceful and lovely spot to just chill and get out of the heat for a while.

Yes we did get the dreaded Gastro bug, two members did and two didn't and yes the other families we travelled with did have some or all members get it. Very hard to avoid when most of Karon Hotels were struck with it. We had to get the nurse and doctor around, as we were flying out the same afternoon and the hotel allowed some of us to have our room a little longer than the check out time of 12 noon to help us recover and pack. Yes was a shame and have one member still recovering but didn't ruin our holiday at all, it was amazing.

As for the Spa, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. It is definately worth the money, I had a 3 hour session and it felt like I was there for only 1 hour! My husband also received a treatment (has never had anything like it done before) and he is converted, he loved it. Staff are very professional and skillful, topped by beautiful surroundings.

Will we come back to Centara Grand - most definately. The staff were very friendly and helpful and love stopping to have a chat. We felt so very comfortable staying here. The Thai people and culture are very beautiful and not aggressive at all and are always happy and smiling. Holidays are fun times and when staff are happy and friendly it makes you feel that way as well, even when a few of us were sick, they were all very concerned and worried and wanted to make us smile or laugh! Thank you for making our childrens first overseas holiday a very memorable one, my 10 year olds wants to move over there!!!

Room Tip: Building 9 is on the Beach if you like the ocean. Other rooms probably have better views of the who...
3 Thank HammosatWam
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having come from a wonderful 5 star resort in Laguna, north Phuket, we were expecting a similar experience at Centara Grand. Location of Centara Grand on the beach is fantastic however you will require transportation to local shops and restaurants.
The hotel did try and accomodate the fact that they could not put our three children and us in adjoining rooms even though this was booked months in advance. We were given a beautiful 2 bdm villa for 3 nights but had to move to different rooms after this. Unfortunately we could not really enjoy this accomodation as all five of us were hit with a nasty gastro bug from Day 2 to Day 7 of our holiday. We had to wait for our rooms on both occasions until late in the afternoon and although the hotel offered us temporary rooms, etc... it was a pain! Also, the beds were like sleeping on hard planks of timber, not comfortable at all!
Our rooms were not set up to accomodate 3 children and numerous phone calls were made to reception to do this. Then came the phone calls for extra towels for the room, extra water, extra buckets to cope with the vomiting...it was not really satisfactory. Other guests we met during our stay had similar experiences with some or all of their families being struck down with the gastro bug. This was evident on Grand Final day with half of the Aussies drinking lemonade or being holed up in their rooms too sick to attend. The severity of this illness obviously caught the staff unaware with long waits for house keeping, room service, etc.
The Hotel did not provide us with information as to activities for our children to do, despite advertising that these were available. Further and clear communication regarding what this illness was, how to avoid it and where to get help for it would have been very useful.
Food was OK and the staff were polite and always happy to greet us throughout the grounds however their English was quite poor and very hard to communicate with a majority of them.
To sum up, we had far higher expectations of our holiday at Centara and were incredibly disappointed with our experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Janine B
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Janine B

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to place a review.

Regarding this review we find that it is necessary to clarify some incorrect facts you have mentioned.

Refer to the transportation you may require to go to local shops and restaurants, we do have a taxi counter at the hotel lobby for your convenience and it is open from 7.00am – 10.00pm, this can be arranged in advance if your needed time is not in the operating time.

Since there was a request of having connecting rooms for your family (even though this is not guaranteed), we did complimentary upgrade you to stay at our 2-bedroom Pool Villa for 3 nights and moved you to the original booked connecting rooms once they were available. However, we are sorry to make you wait for the rooms.

We did arrange your own room with a King size bed, and the 2nd room for your 3 children were with 2 double beds plus a day bed and amenities have been set up according to number of people in each room.

Due to the sickness of the family, our Executive Housekeeper did sanitize your rooms twice a day by himself, extra towels, extra water, extra bucket have been brought to the rooms as requested, bed sheet changed many times per day.

Even though English is a second language to all Thais, we accepted the poor communication for our team members. However, we do provide English lessons to the team members who need it by a native English teacher.

Warm regards
Fongfa
Reviewed October 3, 2012

What a disaster this holiday was in every way. From the moment we arrived it took nearly an hour to finally sort out a room. We have 3 kids and there a no interconnecting rooms and these people offered us a room 3 doors away from our kids. Then second offer was our children in a completely separate building. Then 2 single beds in the room for the adults when my husband is 195cm, so the bed would finish above his ankles. The second day was the gastro hit like never before. Spreading through the five family members lasting for days. We found out it was rampant in the resort, the same problem the week before and continued when we left. We had dirty linen put on our bed and towels also stained. The cleaners did not use disinfectant and when asked to didn't understand what it was. This is certainly not a five star resort. It is enormous and very difficult to get around. The food was also of very poor quality. Although the Italian restaurant was good. We travelled with another family also hit with the gastro.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
7 Thank Anne T
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
It is unfortunate that you were required to wait for your room and did not receive your preferred room allocation. Interconnecting rooms are limited and our booking information clearly states that such requests cannot be guaranteed.

Our rooms are furnished with either double beds or king size beds, on request we can add a single extra bed.

The gastro virus with which you and your family were affected has been prevalent across many hotels and locations in Karon and is not just limited to this hotel.
We have a Treatment in place to minimize this issue and seem to work well.

Centara Grand is not an overly large resort. For those guests with mobility problems a 24 hours buggy service is available.

I apologies that you were not satisfied with the food; however 92% of our reviewers found the hotel food and facilities to be of a good or excellent standard.

Denis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!