“Centara Grand Beach Resort, Karon Beach, Phuket”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #15 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Melbourne, Australia
“Centara Grand Beach Resort, Karon Beach, Phuket”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Arriving late P.M. after many hours of travel we could not wait to be checked in. The lovely Centara staff chauffeured us to our room only to find a few unwelcome cockroaches! As the Centara is set in a tropical climate amongst dense forest you have to expect some creepy crawlies. We were quickly upgraded to a spa suite so there were definately no complaints from us. The bathroom is unlike anything I have ever seen with a huge rainforest shower head and gorgeous amenities, showers were a little longer than usual. We awoke the next morning to THE ocean view and sat on very comfortable chair/daybeds watching the sunrise. Everything you could imagine was available at the buffet each morning and with three diverse restaurants onsite, staff were very accomodating if you fancied something that was not on the menu. The adult pool is a pleasant retreat from the family pool, although floating around the lagoon on a floatable device in the family pool was as equally pleasant and a hell of a lot safer than the ocean that was only meters away. We stayed at the resort for 8 nights but could have happily stayed there for a lot longer (finances permitting)! Thank you to all the staff at the Centara Grand Beach Resort for such a memorable stay. We will be back in the near future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tashajj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

have been to phuket 3 times-this was the worst experience from staff
on arrival got checked into wrong room .on questioning was told that the room we had actually paid for in sydney was only available in 3rd floor in the lagoon side but no lifts available.we have 3 kids all in strollers and they expected us to lift the strollers up and down the stairs.upon fussing got a ground floor room but not in lagoon view .the room faced the bush side and it seemed that it was more of a dumping ground room since it had a musty smell and cobwebs.the door -sliding was not working well and it looked as if it had been forced open before.had alot of fussing with staff and on day two finally got the room we had initially paid for-what a relief
staff were quite arrogant esp during breakfast-no smile to welcome you and reception could have done better if they had good english speaking employees rather than people who just mumble and run half the time looking for one who can actually speak english.we had booked for 8 nights and stayed for 7 only the reason being we had a late connecting flight booked so prefered to have the children in room till our pickup-went on my time but were so happy to have paid for the extra night since you never get the complimentary late checkout-however we were told by the reception that since we were flying out a day earlier we had to check out by 1400hours---oops they were not seeing that we had paid for a whole extra night and -------again another set of fussing till the recetion realized that we had one extra night and could even use the room for the whole night-please train your staff to understand english!!!
breakfast -not so great-have stayed in other 4 stars at patong where service and breakfast is superb but this was total horror experience for my family.the only good thing about this hotel was the slide at the pool which my kids loved.not staying in this place even if I have to pay double the amount in another hotel-you should have a beautiful experience in a holiday not one that has stress at every step and this hotel was quite stressfull.also had spa voucher but wsa told that could not use since the my time had only special days and all were full during my 7 day stay there??

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank sss2003
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Its taken me nearly a year to write this review because remembering the holiday leaves me depressed that I am no longer on holiday at this resort. It was mine and my partners first overseas holiday and I wanted it to be unforgettable. Which this resort truly is. We stayed on the weekend of its first birthday and what a weekend to stay. We picked this hotel based on the photos online & against our travel agents opinion (the hotel was too new for him to suggest it or comment on it) and we stayed in an ocean view spa room (wow it was beautiful). Because we went on the photos of the resort & not on ppls comments we had no expectations and to be honest never being overseas we did not know what to expect. When we arrived at the hotel @ 9:30pm it was late & didn't get to see the beach through the day, however as we drove into the front of the hotel, the night had a full moon and it was shinning off the ocean then we saw the lobby of the hotel, with its curtains blowing in the breeze and the waterfall at the back, my partner & I felt like we were walking in a dream. We truly felt like children at christmas time, so blown away by it all & extremely excited. The staff were very quick to check us in & gave us a golf buggy ride to the room (it was some distance from the lobby) on the drive to the room the staff member was happy to stop & show us parts of the resort, he was really informative and a great help as the result is quite big.

Once we were in the room and left alone my partner & I screamed for joy. As we woke to see the view from the room the next day we knew we did well with this resort. As the stay went on we felt like a king & queen in our own personal paradise. All the facilities of this resort are mind blowing, we were regularly drunk on amazing cocktails & sliding down the waterslides, jumping off the cliff into the lagoon then floating in a tube along the lagoon, enjoying the big swell spas that overlooked the ocean, enjoying drinks @ the swim up bar & loving the peace,drinks,view at the adults only pool. And when we weren't drinking by the many pools of the resort we were drinking champagne in our balcony spa watching the sunset or drinking singas in the surf on the beach straight off the resort. We also got multiple massages on the beach as the sunset. The food everywhere is amazing and my partner and I both came back 7kg heavier after only 10nights. The food at the resort is great, the food in the restaurants in Karon town are hard to resist & you eat like a king for only $30 aud for two ppl & drinks.

The most stand out day was the hotels first bday we awoke to monks chanting at breakfast, after that we decided to spend the morning by the pool bar then swapped it for the adults only bar as the kids all came down to the bigger pools. The adults pool did not disappoint, we became friends with the staff there quite quickly & enjoyed all the cocktails on offer (also the lounges in the adults area are better then the other areas), we enjoyed all the old school chill out music being played. Once the day was over we decided to go to the bar upstairs from the buffet area, which was happy hour so more amazing cocktails and a go on the ashisha that was offered. All while watching the sunset. As it was the first birthday the resort threw a party for the staff & guests down below the bar in the buffet restaurant. We watched from above and decided to have dinner on the beach that night away from the noise, the little restuarant on the beach serves amazing grilled seafood & cheap beer. It was wonderful to go from pool - to bar - to beach restuarant in your swimmers & no shoes. At the end of dinner we sent a lucky light into the air, as we walked back to the room round 9pm we sat in the back pool alone and watched the fireworks the hotel put on for the birthday. it was truly one of the most amazing days of my life, and I thank this resort for it.

The staff are amazing, the rooms are incredible, the facilities are mindblowing, the beach and the views are dreamlike. I can not recommend this resort enough. If your a young couple & you can afford this place, then stay here! You will not regret it. Was amazing, everything was amazing :)

The only one bad thing my partner and I walked away thinking, was caused from the other hotel guests. We were surprised to find the majority of guests were of the former soviet union background. Now we have nothing against them but after this stay its a different view (sadly), not only were they rude to us (fellow guests) but unbelievably rude to the staff. I've never met such lovely ppl working at a resort and we fell inlove with everyone working for the resort, such lovely ppl but my god were they treated appallingly from the other certain patrons. One time we arrived back @ our hotel from a day trip to find ourselves in a tropical storm, now our rooms were a fair distance from the lobby so the man at the looby was kind enough to grab us a golf buggy for us even though we were happy to grab an umbrella. As he was loading our bags on the back of the buggy, a group of the certain patrons hopped on and decided to drive off to their own room. We were trying to stop them but got a backhand wave & then ignored, all of us including many staff members stood amazed at this with our mouths just hanging open to the ignorance & rudeness. Another buggy was pulled up for us but as I sat down so did another guest with her son to which I was told by her husband "get off" in broken english. Two buggys stolen from us and irritated by the rudeness of it all we decided to just wait for the rain to stop (just another excuse for a drink at the bar really) and chatted to the staff about what had just gone down, alot of the staff shrugged & said this is what they are like. Another time at the adults only pool one particular patron (from the former soviet union) decided to bring her kids to the adults only pool, she let them jump in against the wishes of the pool staff, she completely ignored the staff, light up a cigarette and got started to reserving & pulling together a group of chairs. Within 5 minutes we watched her fight with security to let her kids swim. She only moved on after security grabbed her things and started walking off with them so she would follow with the kids running out of the pool behind. The staff handled the situations beautifully then apologised to all guest at the pool for this display of rudeness. It was amazing to watch really at how she refused to follow the rules and ignored anyone that spoke to her.(think she was one of the ladies that stole our buggy off us haha)

After these two incidents me and my partner just decided to ignore these guests so we could get on with our holiday, it was hard watching how rude they were to the staff but hopefully our kindness & how happy & talkative to the staff we were, made up for those negative guests.

Other then those guests, the hotel is heaven. As I said before no fault to this hotel its a dream to be on holidays here. The hotel staff are honestly the loveliest ppl you'll meet, treat them kindly and they will look after you and make your stay.

I dont know if I will return, because our first visit here was so dreamlike and amazing that I believe only going once will keep this memory of the holiday alive forever. Truly an incredible place.

Room Tip: Karon Seafood Restaurant has prawns the size of your head that are delicious. All the food at Karon...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jess h
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

There are many "pluses" about the Centara Grand, but there is also a fair share of "minuses" that should not be there for a resort of this quality.

The Thai staff are truly beautiful, ever smiling, and thoughtful (Thanks Yui and Aud - you were great!!!) The main pool area is an amazing water wonderland while the adult's only infinity pool is a serene refuge from the family fun. The resort complex is like a seaside castle. The room was kept clean (though there were some aspects that were an issue). Breakfast was terrific, light poolside lunches were fine, but each evening meal we had there was erratic in standard.

We booked a Deluxe Pool Suite (and this came with Club membership).

I sent an email prior to arrival letting them know that my husband has mobility issues and uses a walking stick. The response told me that they had noted it in their system and we would be given a room with access by lift. Fine ... except when the lift wasn't working and we had to negotiate 3 outdoor flights of stairs via the adult pool in the rain. Fine ... except that it made usage of the Club a physical impossibility. The Club (inclusive of continental breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks, predinner cocktails) was up two flights of stairs ... NO lift (I did hear that they had offered to physically manhandle another disadvantaged guest up there by carrying him ... and leaving his dignity on the ground floor, I guess).

While management at the resort certainly knew of my husband's mobility restrictions and problem with stairs, we were never offered any alternative .... gee, one of those free Club cocktails to our room would have been nice ... just once even ... and I noticed that in Fetch69's review they say that they were delivered an afternoon tea snack every day .... nope, not us! We got nothing ... nix ... nought. So big thanks for nothing. The extra cost of our Deluxe Pool room got us the plunge pool and internet access and nothing more. Very disappointed in management's concern for customer satisfaction and welfare.

Around the resort itself lighting was a problem and at night, trying to negotiate from restaurants to room was difficult enough for the able bodied.

Was there a turndown service??? It only happened once during our 10 day stay when we were left flowers on the pillow and an invitation to drinks with the manager. (He spent a third of the time with his buddies, spoke to one group then disappeared. Shame, as I had a few issues I would have liked to have raised.) The shower in the room leaked and an extra bath mat was a necessity ... asked for but provided on only a few occasions.

Our room persistently had the odour of Essence of Sh#. Luckily our veranda wasn't plagued by mosquitoes (as was Building 9) so we spent a lot of time out there to avoid the pervasive smell in the room (112). I believe that this smell came from outside the room (most noticeable as you stepped from the lift) and was seeping down the back retaining wall. The creek bordering the resort was putting untreated sewage into the surf on a daily basis (check out the attached photo) and we watched this wash up a down the beach in front of the resort and being pounded into the sand.

The 5 stars I am giving "Service" is for the beautiful beautiful Thai staff in Cove.

1 Thank julnol
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We recently went on a tour of China and decide to spend 5 days in Thailand on the way home to relax before going back to work.

I can't say enough about the service at this hotel. The entire staff are very friendly and accommodating. When we arrived they told us that our Jacuzzi room was unavailable so they upgraded us at no cost to a deluxe infinity pool room. It was just amazing. I didn't want to leave the room, really... It was so peaceful and the view was great. Attached to our room we had a private double wide infinity pool with water jets; we also had lots of outdoor furniture (chairs, couch, etc) to lounge on in the heat with areas in the sun or shaded from the sun. Then indoors there was a great king size bed (a little hard) with nice tub and shower. There were also sliding partitions in the room to break it up if you want or leave it all open concept. Wifi is "available" in the room for an additional cost but it is very cheap (about $3 per day) and well worth it I think.

We went in May of 2012 and it was the rainy season. We were not sure what to expect and now we know. On the positive side the hotel was probably half empty so you could sit wherever you water anytime and there were some kids but they all seemed to be well behaved and no issue at all. The lazy river is a great way to keep cool and pass the time. Its got a nice current to it with several waterfalls to go under to keep cool. One the negative side (out of the hotels control) was the weather. The first two days we were there it was sunny and hot most of the day and 2-3 times a day it would rain heavy for 10 minutes and then be gone. But the other three days it was mostly overcast and rained for hours every day. Also there was a riptide and jellyfish warning on the beach saying not to swim. That didn't change the whole time we were there as the surf was VERY rough with a wicked riptide.

The buffet breakfasts were pretty good but the a la cart dinner there was just excellent. The hotel also offered tours from the front desk but we found they were about double what you could pay if you went into town. There are travel people along all the streets offering the same day trip (e.g.. Phi Phi Island) for much less, but you have to go out and find them. The beach is not owned by the hotel so if you want to use a chair on the beach you will have to pay a rental of about $3 which I found was a little petty. We chose instead to laze around poolside.

It is about a 10min cab ride to the little town of Patong which is worth seeing (clubs shows etc) and about 10min walk to the village of Karon but there is much less there to see.

On the last day we were supposed to check out at noon but then had to wait around the hotel till 2PM to get a taxi to the airport. I asked if they could extend our checkout till 2PM and they were able to make that happen for us as well so we could be comfortable in our rooms until we had to leave. I wouldn't expect that in high season but they were able to do it when the hotel was slow which we really appreciated.

Overall the hotel was fantastic in every way and the service was the best I've seen anywhere in the world. I would highly recommend it here although it is the most expensive hotel in Karon. But you get what you pay for.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have visited Thailand many times previously, but never stayed in the resort of Karon. We selected the Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket because we assumed Patong would now be really overcrowded, and wanted to take our 3 year old son to Thailand for the first time. The hotel is relatively new, and is actually right on the outside edge of Karon beach, but in a wonderful location with direct access to the beach. We arrived late in the evening, and received the expected wonderful “Thai Hospitality” and welcome. Because the hotel was extremely busy, the desk manager advised us that we had been allocated a room in one of the mail areas near one of the pols, however he felt it might be too noisy for our young child, so he offered us the choice of taking a room in the block nearest reception if we preferred. I didn’t sound convinced at first, but then he explained they would upgrade us free of charge to a Spa Deluxe room, which included a Jacuzzi on the balcony. We were sold ! The room was so peaceful, and having the ability to lie in the Jacuzzi watching the sunset really was a treat.
As for facilities, the Lazy River, Water Slides and other pool areas really can’t be beaten, and once the pool boys realised that my 3 year old son is a strong swimmer, they had no problems allowing him to use the water slides alone, and even helped him at the top whilst myself or my wife waited for him at the bottom. 2 Pool attendants in particular, “Yu” & “Charm” really made the holiday special for my son, they were so friendly with him.

The only real negative comments I have about our stay are related to certain groups of guests who were staying there, and really, the hotel can’t be blamed for their behaviour. Large groups of guests were present from the former Soviet Union, and I must say I was appalled at the way they treated the Thai staff. Anyone who has visited Thailand will know that Thai people in general are the most gracious and passive people, but these guests, and large numbers of them really have no respect for their hosts. It was absolutely impossible to take a sunbed near to the children’s pool area unless you were prepared to wake very early in the morning and guard those beds. The hotel put signs on them advising that towels will be removed after 2 hours, but with groups of at least 20 people working together to reserve the entire poolside, the staff really had no chance of clearing those towels so other guests can use them. The most frustrating part, is that these people had no children, which ultimately meant small family groups had no chance of relaxing near the infant pool whilst their children play. I am a tolerant person, and pay no tolerance to discrimination or racism whatsoever, but in my life I have never experienced such rudeness and ignorance to other guests and staff. I guess it is a cultural thing that westerners must start to get used to, but it really did put a negative slant on the holiday. As mentioned, I do accept that hotel would; face a difficult task of controlling this type of behaviour.
In summary, the hotel is lovely, the location is great, and as with other Centara hotels, the staff and food are excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms have good sea views, however if you stay near the pools there is a lot of activity and noi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Adrian S
robina
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Having stayed in resorts like Le Meridian, Katatani, Courtyard Marriott and JW Marriot in Phuket we decided to try the new Grand Centara:

The Good: Spectacular sea views, right on the beach; palatial looking resort; best room we have ever stayed in, fantastic wrap around balcony with beach and sea views in the famous Block 9; great kids pool (even though we left our kids at home!) lazy river, jumping cliff and water slides; blissful and tranquil ADULTS ONLY infinity pool, heaven!; beautiful and gracious Thai staff; breakfast had good choices for the 16 days we were there, the banana roti my absolute fave; couples massage at the Spa, delicious;

The Bad: For a practically brand new "5" star resort there are a few things lacking - Lighting at night around the outside steps (these are access steps to the rooms in building 9 and 8 and the Italian restaurant) on both sides of the main pool area are non existent, an accident waiting to happen; holes with exposed wires on our balcony where lights haven't been installed; Nespresso machine did not work in the room; bar fridge did not work took 2 days to convince front office to replace it; the bubble jet in the adult pool did not work, the pump was broken, already?; the Cove and Mare restaurants for lunch and dinner were hit and miss affairs in regard to food, the Italian was ordinary to awful only the ceasar salad saved it from total disgrace, the Cove fared a little better - the beef in the beef massaman was inedible, however the pad thai was good; Dennis you need a lot more choices of dining if you wish to proclaim "5" star and the Italian chefs though extremely friendly either have a lack of training or a lack of good quality produce to serve up quality food.

The Ugly: Not user friendly for handicapped/disabled, ie the Luna Bar and the Club (which was always full kids, so glad we didn't purchase this); effluent flowing from the channel in front of the hotel into the ocean when the rain came, looked and smelled as you would imagine; mosquitios, absolutely horrendous, everyone we encountered was being eaten alive, in our time at the resort we could not enjoy the balcony due to mossies, during our stay we purchased 4 cans of room repellant plus 2 personal sprays of mossie repellant and I became the Aussie advisor of how to treat bites with good old ti tree oil to all the other guests who were covered in red welts, management were not spraying every other day as they stated, in the 16 days we were there we saw a spray team go around once. Dennis its a shame we didn't get an invite to the management drinks as I would have advised you that the stagnant stream you have winding around the resort is the perfect incubator for your mossie plague, you need to have a few fountains and/or a water wheel to keep the water moving so they don't lay.....and no don't tell me its mossie season, we have been to Phuket twice before at the same time and have never had this problem, one or two but not plagues day in day out. When we left a rather ugly fence has been built outside the Mare restaurant, we were told by staff its a windbreak, it now also blocks the sea view, sit down at an outside table at Mare and tell me what you see....yep a black plastic fence with some trees in pots.

Would I recommend this hotel? yes I would, but point out the pitfalls. Especially when the hotel dictates which tuk tuk you can or can't get! Would I stay there again? possibly. Would I return to Phuket? in a heartbeat. This was our 6th trip and we return to our favourite places and always discover new places. We met some great people and had a the best time. So thank you Thailand.

Room Tip: Block 9 right on the beach; my sister stayed in Block 1 and loved it with her own pool
4 Thank mez_21Robina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!