“Family Trip”

Karon Rustic Villas
Ranked #85 of 113 Specialty Lodging in Karon
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This place is amazing - Fantastic views from all floors - rooftop pool and deck were great to relax in after the days shopping and expeditions. We organised transport for the week but a lot of the group did the walk up the hill with no problem - it is steep but still can be done. Close to beach, shops and restaurants, The welcome pack in the fridge was well stacked with necessities making it easy for when you first arrive. I would recommend this place to anyone that is sick of the hotel stays and wants the benefits of staying in a villa, lots of space, huge kitchen and living and the bedrooms all have an en suite each.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacqui L

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wow! What a special place.
The moment our driver (pre arranged through the agent) brought us into our 'home' for four days, we knew we had something special. My wife was led on a thoughtful tour of guest floors, capable of accommodating a family or group it seems of dozens (I think they say 12?). On the other hand, I stood in a gourmet kitchen with windows open, a cool onshore breeze and marvelled on a sunset reserved usually for creationists.
Thoughtful details abounded - beach towels, local fresh flowers, quality toiletries in all 4 (or was it 5?) bathrooms, selection of games & DVD's, etc - nice touch! My wife had now been shown the top level with its enticing infinity pool & given instructions to plug in our music selection to the speakers. Now with abundant ice, fresh fruit, music and alcohol, my wife and I were happily ensconced far from the madding crowd!
Karon villas are only two semi detached villas. You must book and ask for the one closest to the coast. It's main floor is open to every breeze and beautifully decorated and homely. Every guest room has features that clearly have been thoughtfully and attentively decorated and provided for - even though only two of us were staying there. My wife likes these things. (Did I mention the roof top infinity pool and 'bar environment'?)
The villa is an easy walk down to Karon beach which offers good shopping, food choices and all services. One attraction of this area is it is not Patong or on the other hand, 'exclusive expat gated community', however as you fancy, either are in easy reach.
Check out a map is my advice if you do not know the island. Decide what sort of stay you want. If you decide you would like to experience all the action, beaut beaches, local markets, choice of copious restaurants and then come home to a home set up for fine relaxing, look no further than Karon villa.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

these properties where once beautiful but they are not maintained well. The huge spa in the bedroom was unable to be filled the outdoor one was dirty. We where robbed on the 2nd day so we always felt uneasy the locks on the ground floor are inadequate. The view is awesome and the top pool is fantastic. The inhouse dinner was very good. The grounds where unkept and there where many broken things in the garden. Once this villa would have been great but sadly has been neglected.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank liveagaincoaching
Reviewed August 25, 2011

great service! the owner was great on keeping in touch and making things easy for my group. the house was easy to find and it had an excellent view. only minutes from the beach and vendors. the house had everything you could want. no issues at all. had a blast!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
SusanSurinPark, General Manager at Karon Rustic Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Good afternoon,

My sincere apologies for the late response.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that you had a great time at the villa. :D

Susan

Hope to see you all again in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed at Baan Panom for 8 nights in early February 2011, a group of 6 adults, a 3 year old and a 9 month old.
From the moment we booked the accommodation, Susan was extremely helpful, providing us with details of what to expect during our stay. Nothing was a hassle for Susan, who assisted with all enquiries. Transfers from the airport was easy. We required two transfers as we had parties arriving at separate times. Susan organised this for us, for a small extra cost, which was great after our long flights. Susan also provided a cot for the 9 month old, and an extra mattress for the 3 year old.
The villa is on top of a very steep hill, overlooking the Karon Beach area. Impressive views across the whole bay area from all areas of the villa, especially the roof top infinity pool, where we spent many hours! Sunsets are spectacular.
The villa is setup well, with main living area on the entrance level, upstairs to the pool, and downstairs to the 3 bedrooms. It is well appointed with glassware, plates etc.
The villa is within close proximity to the main street (10 minute down hill walk), where plentiful restaurants and shops await. A further 5 minute walk to the beach and market area. The walk back up the HILL will take a bit longer. I tried it twice, and decided a motorbike would be much easier for the rest of the holiday!!! It is extremely steep.
I would recommend the chef service. We had them cook for us on 2 occasions, one for dinner (a thai seafood night), and one for breakfast, (eggs, bacon, pancakes, fruit). Both are very reasonably priced. Plenty of food provided.
At the end of the street is a small shop or 7/11, for daily items that are required. There is also a reasonably priced massage shop. Also at the end of the street is a small shop run by a lady also named Sue, where you can book all your day trips, and other activites. She was a great help, and has great experience with all the tours. We also hired a car for the week through Sue, which was very reasonably priced.
If taking small children to Baan Panom, i would recommend close supervision of them near the window areas. The windows have iron fencing around them, which have wide gaps which any small child could easily fit through. It is a 3-4 storey drop from these windows.
Overall, a great experience. Reasonably priced, I would recommend this to anyone interested in something different to staying in a resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
SusanSurinPark, General Manager at Karon Rustic Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

Good evening,

My sincere apologies for replying soooo late.

First of all thank you thank you thank you for such a magnificent and lonngggg review. You have no idea how much i appreciate this.

I will do my best to help as much as I can. I am glad I could and was able to service you while you were here in Phuket.

I am glad you enjoyed the chef service. As they enjoyed cooking for you and your family.
Always came back down to the office happy and laughing. It was very nice to see.

Hope to see you all again.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

The villa was perfect for our two families (4 adults, 1 teen, 3 kids). Awesome views, loved rooftop pool (I recommend full adult supervision at all times though if you have kids below 10 years of age when they are in the pool).The hill climb is certainly a challenge, even to an exercise junkie like myself. If you want a real workout take a hike past the villa & go all the way as far as the road takes you. You'll certainly work up a sweat! Most tuk tuks won't take you all the way to your front door because they simply can't make it up the hill (esp with 8 people on board). We found an excellent taxi driver, Mr Duck, who could fit all of us in his air-conditioned van & his prices were always very reasonable. He is usually parked on the main beach road near the round-a-bout & he has a big sign on his front windshield with 'Mr Duck Taxi Service' written on it. And he takes you straight to your front door so you don't have to climb that hill.
The walk to the beach was longer than we thought. Going thru Movenpick resort cuts the time by a few minutes & it is such a pleasant walk but if it's obvious that you're going to the beach the guard won't let you through. Try telling him a little lie that you're going for a coffee in their cafe & he'll probably let you through then. The alternative is the longer walk via the main street where there are no footpaths, heaps of traffic, lots of yucky smells & obviously lots of people trying to get you into their shops. The kids hated going that way!
If you are a light sleeper like me don't expect big sleep-ins. The curtains in each bedroom are not block out by any means so as soon as the sun is up (around 6.15am) the bedrooms are as light as day. Invest in an eye-mask. You may also be woken by traffic trying to get up that hill. Trucks & scooters struggle to get up it & a lot of them sounded like aeroplanes taking off!! Invest in ear plugs.
There were a couple of maintenance issues with the villa, especially the water supply. In the early days of our stay the water pump kept thumping (something else that woke us up early) but as soon as we reported it to Susan she sent the maintenance people around. It seemed to fix the problem for a few days but I think towards our last day it was starting to thump again.
Definitely book the chefs to cook some of your meals during your stay. Everything they cooked was delicious & there was so much food which was great for leftover lunch the next day. During our 12 day stay they cooked us three dinners (Thai, BBQ & Italian) & one breakfast on our last morning (eggs, bacon & the yummiest, fluffiest pancakes).
During our stay it was my son's 7th b'day & Susan surprised us by giving him a delicious Tira-Mi-Su b'day cake & even a b'day present. Totally unexpected & so extremely nice of her.
Overall if I was to go on holiday in Thailand again the distance to the beach would probably be the only thing stopping me from booking here again but if there is a big group of you this villa is perfect. Kids or teens can have their own space & not being confined to one little hotel room is a huge bonus.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank linsim36
SusanSurinPark, General Manager at Karon Rustic Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

Good morning,

I was sure I have responded to your review a while ago....must have not been published. Here goes second try.

Thank you very much for your review, it is much appreciated. I am glad that you had enjoyed your stay with us and even more so for the Chef Service.

Hope to see you all again.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

When we arrived to the villa we were very tired after the 12 hours flight. But right after we jumped inside the villa the tiredness was gone. Villa was awesome and we went straight to the amazing swimming pool on the roof. Pool became the main place where we were chilling and starting our days. The view was stunning and I still can see it when I close my eyes. Maybe the worst side was the enormous hill but it gave some sport too to our vacation. We really enjoyed our time there and might come back again some year.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
SusanSurinPark, General Manager at Karon Rustic Villas, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2010

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your review i appreciate it a lot. :D

I heard from my staff that you all sure did know how to enjoy yourself. I am glad that you all did.

Hope to meet you in person one day.

Best personal regards,