“Not a very nice place to stay”
Review of Sunset Plaza

Sunset Plaza
Ranked #57 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Karon
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travelled in the month of August-2012 along with my wife and my son who is approx 2 yrs old.
I had a difficult time staying at the hotel since this hotel is built on a very steep hill and there are many taxi vendors who refuse to drop you at such a height.

Hotel's own shuttle service is only between 9 AM - 6 PM which means if you have to go for shopping or something like that post 6PM, believe me it will be a nightmare for you.

We stayed in a 1BHK and most of the stuff provided was not in a good shape. Almost everything was rusted. Jacuzzi was leaking and it wasn't so hygienic and we never were able to use the bathtub since it never worked during our stay.

I would also suggest not to ever book your car/tours from the hotel. You will find many other options to book these things near to Kata beach which will be very very cheap.

There is also no staff at the hotel post 6PM which means if you require anything post 6PM, you have to arrange it yourself.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms near to the lift and in the corner
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Atul J

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Built recently (in 2007), Sunset Plaza Condominiums offers huge penthouses. We rent a 3 bedrooms penthouses and the view from there was just AMAZING. We arrived in the afternoon so we could see the beach from where we were. On the ground floor of the penthouse, there were the kitchen with the living area, and 2 rooms with 2 bathrooms. On the upper level, there was the master bedroom with a bathroom, which was again, AMAZING. The balcony was huge and we could tan without being disturbing by anyone, or we could admire the view from the jacuzzi inside (but there was a downside, the jacuzzi was not working really well...). The swimming pool is huge and great;

ATTENTION : There is a very steep hill. The owner should have made some stairs next to the road in order to have an easier access to the condominiums. Nevertheless, there is a shuttle from 9 am until 6 pm. The shuttle let you in front of the Family Mart, and then, you have to walk less than 5 minutes to reach the amazing Karon beach.

One other downside than the jacuzzi, the penthouse started to show its age as there was rust in the bathrooms + the paint on the wall started to fall. And one thing that I don't understand is why the rooms have so much differences between them. The master bedroom was AMAZING, the second bedroom was great but the third bedroom was really average when you compare that one to the others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AndreGH
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Look and feel: Amazing, well lit and you will definitely be amazed when you enter the room. The beach view is very nice but it rained when we went so thing that were in the balcony got wet including the furniture cusions.

Furnishing: Very good but the TV and music system were not user friendly. Many magazines were available but all were of local language. There could have been a travel guide. Bath tub in one of the bathrooms had a leak which was annoying but it was still functional

Service: Service was the only thing which was very average in this apartment. As this is an apartment that was expected but there was no intercom and one 1 house keeping staff who could not understand English. We had a hard time in getting the bath tub in one of the bathrooms fixed

Location: Very close to Karon beach, it was stightly difficult to locate in the night as the taxi drivers could not locate the place. So ensure that you take a taxi which knows the place.

Restaurant: They do not have a restaurant or any door delivery of food from outside. There is a Seven Eleven (famous grocery store, Eggs and bread gets over early in the morning) opposite side so you can grab what ever you want there. There is a good italian restaurant also very close by. Vegetarians have very limited options even in the the stores.

Here are some more tips and a 6 day itenary
Day 1 – Airport to hotel – it will cost approx TBH 900, there will be many guys offering day trips, you can loop in with them if they give you Phang Nga at TBH 1000 per person (generally they will say 1200 and the current airport to hotel drop for free, which is also good in a way as you get a good bargain).

After reaching the hotel you chill out the whole day or night depending on when you reach. Get some snacks from family mart, buy water (unless you are ready to drink tap water)

If you reach in the morning you can go to Karon beach which is just opposite or you can go lil ahead and reach Karon beach. Chill there, have some tender coconut / Beer

Day 2 – Rent a bike from next door (5 mins walk). Go to Patong, get yourself pampered at just relax parlor or there is a parlor called bali thai (or something like that) opp to just relax, remember these parlors are tried and tested and are more professional.
Then go to some café and have coffee and snacks. There are 2 good Indian restaurants in Patong (both are good). There is a Lebanese restaurants were you get very goo salads and hookah. When you go to patong go to padi discovery scuba shop. It is a big shop diagonally opposite to Christine massage parlor (very well know place, Joshi’s fav spot) and book your scuba dive for the day 4 . It will cost approx 4700 + 160 insurance. Don’t book your camera man in advance as the instructor will have it and will agree for 700 to 800 extra (say you are carrying less cash)
You can either get back home in the evening and come back again or do lot of shopping and continue exploring late night at Bangla road (you should go to this place, there are so many strip clubs and normal pubs but all are decent not that someone will pull you in), you can go to Hard rock café also. Explore till late hours and then have pizza opposite to tiger pub or gogo bar they are good

Day 3 – plan your Phi Phi or Phang Nga trip. You will return back in the evening then just chill. Some people have suggested staying for a day in Phi Phi also but I am not sure as it may be a pain to carry all the luggage etc

Day 4 – Scuba – (food will be horrible in the boat so have breakfast and go). Evening you can go to kickboxing club then Jungceylon mall then go to bangla road again ( don’t worry you will not be tired after scuba)

Day 5 – Big Buddha in the morning ( you can go in the evening also but I preferred morning for photography), after big Buddha you can go to kata beach or plan elephant trekking which is on the same hill as big Buddha.. you can also try ATV ride it should be fun… evening you can swim in the apartment ( you will have to find time for swimming in the pool other days also)

Day 6 - Return flight. Try to book taxi from any place the previous day itself as it will work out cheaper

There are other beaches also like Rawai etc. but I believe you will require more time for it. There is some Fantasea show which is again lil far but you may want to see it as I heard it is good. So you can try booking it for the 1st day itself if you are reaching in the morning and book it from the airport itself with pick and drop.

There is a big temple 10 mins by bike from the apt and there is a flee market there which is very cheap, but it is open only on tue and sat so try to go there. Jungceylon mall is also good for sovinier shopping.

Things to remember:

1. Sunset plaza is difficult to spot so ask for butteryfly condominium
2. Don’t carry lot of forex, it is cheaper to use credit card but most will not accept so withdraw around the max in one shot as there will be a tranx charges.
3. Ask everywhere if they accept credit card so that you can pay by cc
4. Carry swimming shorts else you will have to buy for scuba
5. Bargaining is a must everywhere
6. Helmet for both the drivers is must
7. Plan to hire the bike in such a way that you take in the morning and return next day. You don’t have to keep the bike when you go for phi phi trip
8. Carry MTR masala if you are a vegetarian
9. All day trips like phi phi and scuba etc includes pick up drop and food so don’t worry
10. If you are carrying bb then disable your mail services are data is extremely expensive. ( my bill shot to 12k due to just mails). You can buy a caltech card for Tbh 50 and then buy an india calling card at Indian curry hotel in patong, it is dirt cheap. TBH 200 for 3hrs india calling.

Room Tip: Sunset plaza is difficult to spot so ask for butteryfly condominium If you are booking for an extra...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank Gokul R
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at Sunset Plaza during June of 2011.

The first issue we had with this place is the difficulty we had finding the place. For those wanting to know: you travel along Patak Road Past the Hilton, you will come to a intersection that will take you to Karon beach, keep going past that around the bend you will see a convenience store about 50 metres up the road on the left hand side you will see signs at the bottom of a driveway for Butterfly condominium and Tons View. Turn left up the driveway and parking is under the building on the left.

Because we arrived late so a security guard checked us into the room (the time being 930pm). The room was missing a spa which we paid extra for, it also smelt weird and had stains on the sheets. We actually felt quite dirty and put down towels and slept on top of them. The next morning we went down and spoke to the building manager and explained the situation and after a phone call he changed our room.

That is where the problems end. The room we stayed in (two bedroom spa sea view) was magnificent. Everything was new and modern. The room was cleaned to a very high standard twice a week.

We used Tons View that is just below Sunset to wash and iron our clothes. So cheap!!

The location was about halfway between Karon and Kata so it made getting around great. we only had to walk out to the road and hail down a tuk tuk which only a few mins. One tip is if you are waiting for a tour to walk down to the road as not many people know about this little gem.

The hill which l properly should address is very steep. But l quite like the excerise. Some may disagree.

We met a driver out the front of Phuket Orchid named Bob (not his real name) who we called whenever we wanted to go out. He was polite had a decent grasp of english and was always on time. He also had a love for Bob Marley, which was nice to listen to as he drove. I strongly recommend getting some business cards for taxi drivers so you can call them 15 minutes before you want to go out so the can pick you up at the apartment. That way you can avoid the hill.

Overall, good value for money, beautiful view and fantastic view.

A little note. I would give the location 3 out 5 but the ratings section will only let me vote excellent.

Room Tip: Shop around for the best price, check in around midday so if there are any problems someone can fix...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SydneyRoss
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We booked the 3 room penthouse apartment in Building A but was upgraded to the 4 bedroom at no extra charge as all the others had already been taken. It was simply AMAZING! The apartment was on two levels and I fell in love with it the moment we stepped in. Each bedroom had it's own en-suit, and the apartment was fully air-conditioned. The kitchen was well equipped and it had a giant fridge! A jacuzzi on the upstairs balcony which was huge (balcony and jacuzzi). We watched the sun setting into Andaman Sea every afternoon, there is a 360 degree unblocked view of Karen beach from the apartment and every bedroom has a stunning view. There are 2 swimming pools and a gym. The place was more family oriented, which was great for us as I felt that Patong had a dark seedy side to it. We hired a rental car from Avis at the International airport. This turned out to be a blessing as we could come and go as we liked and got to see so much more of Phuket's sites in our short time there. The Management staff are a great help and are very friendly, as are all the domestic staff. One day, the Sunset Plaza free shuttle bus driver saw us on the street walking back from just being dropped of by our mindless Day tour bus driver (this guys was using a little to much of the "rooms" as he seemed to be in a world of his own!!!). The Day tour bus driver, for some unknown reason dropped us down the road from the Sunset Plaza. Anyway, the Sunset Plaza bus driver tooted the horn to get our attention, then he stopped the bus, got out, crossed the very busy road and helped my dad (who is 76 years) to the bus and then loaded all of our beach gear in to the bus to take us back to the hotel. After a long day on a boat tour this was an amazing. If we were to come back to Phuket, we would definitely re-booked at Sunset Plaza again! A big thanks to everyone at the Sunset Plaza including the night security man who always gave us a friendly wave as we came in at night after dinner at one of the many great restaurants on Karen Beach.

Room Tip: A Sunset Plaza there are two building towers. If you want the Andaman Sea view, I would request that...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lilyanne P
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This apartment is listed as luxurious, but there is nothing luxurious about it!
I stayed in this apartment around the end of March 2012 for 7 days.
As mentioned in other reviews, the condo is located on a very steep hill, with a small sign to the side, making it very difficult for taxi drivers and tour guides to find. After having read the reviews, I thought that would be a minor problem and that I would otherwise enjoy my stay. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The road uphill is not only extremely steep, but also badly paved. Most taxi drivers will refuse to take you uphill, even if you offer to pay extra. Upon arrival I had to drag my heavy suitcase to the top of the hill in 32 degree weather. But after getting there, I was heavily disappointed to see that there is no real entrance or lobby; you have to enter through the garage! I was then referred to the management office (to the side of the garage). There I was asked to immediately settle the bill for my entire stay. Although I can understand that this might be standard policy, I dislike the way in which it was handled (not offered anything to drink or wasn’t informed about the condo facilities). Only after I had asked about the shuttle service, did the manager confirm this service exists for guests to bring them up/ down the hill during certain times (but you have to inform them of the time that you will be back). Then she went on to inform/ underline to me that the one bedroom apartment that I had booked wasn’t available, so I was being upgraded to a two bedroom. Although my first impression wasn’t very good, I thought this was a nice gesture. The manager then guided me to my apartment and I was surprised to see that this was the one bedroom apartment I had booked in the first place! Luckily the apartment looked quite nice at first glance, with a comfortable average sized bedroom with LCD tv, a complete kitchenette and a shower. When I had a closer look later, this turned out not to be the case at all (see below).
Since I didn't find an information folder/ booklet about the facilities in the apartment either, I asked the manager about the wifi and placing outside calls. She then informed me that guests aren’t able to call outside or receiving any calls! Adding to it the fact that this apartment was rather secluded, this was beginning to sound more like a prison! I asked if incoming calls could be put through to my apartment then. She basically shrugged her shoulders and replied that her phone doesn’t offer that facility! She then suggested that I buy a SIM card as other guests have no problems with this either. I then suggested that I could pay her extra based on the calls that I make, but apparently that wasn’t possible either. Why have a phone in the apartment if it doesn’t even work? Apparently that’s just for calling up to the management office, during the time that they are there. When she left I had a closer look around the apartment. There were rust and stains on/ near the toilet seat and shower stall and there was a sewage smell coming from the bathroom (see pictures). The apartment I had, did have a nice seaview though. After I had unpacked (around 7pm), I tried to go online (there should be wifi), but it turned out that there was no internet connection. This turned out to be a real problem, since I had to contact the tour agency about the tour I booked for the next day. I walked up to the management office but there was no one there but a guard. Only then did I learn that the reception/ management staff is only there during working hours. After the guard called the manager on his cell phone, I explained the problem to her. She immediately became quite defensive telling me that she had already gone home and that there was nothing that she could do for me, since other guests staying there don’t have this problem! I explained to her that I urgently needed to contact the tour agency for tomorrow and asked if they could send someone from maintenance by. She replied that this wasn’t her problem and suggested I go look for an internet café outside, which made me quite upset, as I partly chose this apartment because of the wifi that they supposedly offered. After going back and forth for about half an hour, she finally said that she would come back to the office so I could send an email from there. Afterwards, she again said that as her internet is working, there must be something wrong with my laptop and this wasn’t her problem. I had stayed in 2 other hotels before this trip to Phuket, where I had perfect access to wifi, so I was sure it wasn't my problem. I asked if there wasn’t someone from IT on staff and she informed me that she set up the connections in the rooms herself and there has never been a problem. I insisted that she contact someone from IT and she said that she would try to take care of it in the morning. The next day I waited quite some while and didn’t hear from her. Since I wasn’t looking forward to another argument, I tried several ways to fix the problem myself and found out that the problem was due to their faulty router (wifi didn’t work, but the cable connection did).
Going to the beach which will take you 10-15 min. The condo is located at the side of a highway, which you'll have to cross before getting to the street which leads to the beach.
The main pool in the hotel is pictured as much larger on their website, but is actually just a kiddie pool. There is a second pool however, which does have a nice streetview/ sea view. Another thing to keep in mind is that the apartments don't have a do not disturb sign and when you don't open the door for the cleaners, they let themselves in. Needless to say I don’t recommend anyone to stay here, due to the extremely bad service, horrible location and absent reception. There are apartments/ hotels that are far better near Karon and Patong, with a lot of restaurants and stores nearby.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MLR84
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We arived at the hotel about 230 check in was at 2 they didn't know we were coming so there was no room ready for us. I am a very easy going person so I made it into a positive and we went and got some things from the shops for breakfast ect because this is a appartment. We came back with in a hour to check in the room we were put in wasn't the best place I have have ever seen it had a weird smell to it especially the couch like someone had been smoking on it :( and there was no shower but only a bath so we were a little confused on how we were going to manage for the next 4 days we saw the appatment manerger later that night and I told her how we felt she was so nice and told us that we would be changed rooms the next day. The not bad thing was that we had 2 nights in a really nice room with a spa on the balcony then we got changed to the same room but afew rooms down so we overal moved rooms 3 times but We are easy going so it didn't really bother us. I know other people in this situation wouldn't be happy. The hill up to the hotel is so steep but they have a van to drop you up and down the hill from 830 am to 6 pm. Hope my review is helpful :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple