“superb”

Dundee, United Kingdom
“superb”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

best food in karon
waitresses are stuning, immaculately dressed
bamboo is spotless, very relaxed and chilled atmosphere
food is superb, massive portion sizes
downside is that the service takes forever, but if youi are willing to wait, then you will be in for a right gem of a treat
it does get extremely busy, so be prepared for a wait as they dont accet bookings for meals

Room Tip: no child activities as this is a guesthouse so no comment on children activities does have a swimmi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant is very good. Better than the one in the 5 star hotel even. It has nice athmosphere with bamboo trees. Really really good place for dinner. Looks clean and not on the street exactly so away from the noise and durt.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is located on a busy street with everything at your fingertips: convenience stores, bars, restaurants and shops. The beach is a 3 minute walk at the end of the street - perfect! A very nice change from Patong. The receptionist was quick and efficient on check-in (I had used Agoda to book and prepay) and she escorted me to my room to thoroughly explain the room features (the Minimac offering free wi-fi which is hooked up to the TV is fantastic and there is a daily change of 'beach towels' when required). I spent one day just watching the free movie channel!

The room was spotless on arrival and although an ashtray was present in the room I could detect no odour (I am a non-smoker). A reed diffuser was on the shelf which obviously helps to neutralise any smokey smells and added to the decor. The sheets were crisp and white and adorned with a few fresh flowers and the bed was firm and a dream to sleep on.

I enjoyed my room so much I booked a further two nights. I had dinner at the restaurant but was a little put-off paying western prices when there are so many great eating places on the street. Nonetheless, the meal was tasty but I probably would not eat there again as I did not see it as good value for money. One night, I think it was a Thursday night, there was a great night market on at the end of the street (although I would not eat there as it looked a bit dirty and the food on offer was pre-cooked and sitting in bains or uncovered).

The pool was small but good enough for me to spend half a day there. An ample number of deckchairs are setup and although it is located in between the restaurant and the hotel it gets plenty of direct sunshine. The artificial waterfall and colour of the water in the pool is gorgeous. It is designed in such a way that the water flows over the edge of the pool and over some rocks so there are no ugly filters exposed - I really liked that. The bar that services the restaurant is about 2 meters from the poolside so you will never go thirsty.

I only woke up early enough to try breakfast once and it was right when they were closing/packing down but there were pastries and fresh fruit on offer as well as a variety of juices; enough to give you a kickstart in the mornings. I think (?) there was a menu on the table for ordering hot breakfasts - but my fault for waking up too late. The staff were nice enough to let me sit and have a quick bite from what was at the buffet.

I had to depart at 5am to catch an early morning flight. The staff at reception were happy to book me a taxi the night before at a standard rate (I can't remember how much I paid. It was about 1000 or 1200 baht which is pretty standard). Ensure you book in at least the night before as the company they organise it through can be busy. The driver waited for us in the lobby and was very entertaining during the one hour ride to the airport.

***On another note, when I arrived at Phuket airport the driver from the other hotel I stayed at on my first night did not show but there were plenty of taxis there and I got one for 900 baht with a lady. Beware, however, as I have heard stories about some of them being part of the mafia (I don't know too much about this. Pay attention to their number plate/company? Yellow number plate = taxi?).

Otherwise, this was great boutique hotel at a good rate and I would certainly return and recommend a stay here. Do what I did and book just one night first to see how you like it. There is plenty of accommodation in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thesnowy053
Indian Harbour Beach FL
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Thai wines are bad. They also save the wine that is opened and is sets until they use it (days). and is awful yet pricey. The food was good at the hotel restaurant. For breakfast, they have an American menu and a Thai buffet and it's included in the nightly rate. There are no elevators. Overall, I wouldn't stay in Karon again. Patong has a cleaner beach and the overall village is better although busier. See Patong for good hotels. Use agora.com to book hotels for less expensive rates, but can't cancel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gloria347
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We choose this hotel last minute based on reviews from other visitors and we were very glad we did. A great hotel for a low price. Good food in the restaurant, very friendly staff, good location, ... We would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.
Only downside was the poor knowledge of English by the staff (especially in the restaurant) and the fact that there was no elevator.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor or higher, they are only a fraction more expensive but so much bet...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drostof
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here a few nights in 2011 but by then the hotel was perfect. Warm welcome, friendly staff and the room was good, especially for the price!! Didn't try the restaurant since I prefer the typical local 'restaurants' like one a bit further up in the street across the temple.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Whilst we did not stay at the hotel, I can only comment on the restaurant, the staff, food and service. All of which were excellent. To me, the best eatery in Karon Beach. Superb food, beautifully presented by friendly efficient staff. Dook, the manager makes sure that all goes smoothly. We ate there on a number of occasions, and sent other guests from our hotel to try it out. Highly recommended from myself and my husband.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple